Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies (+7)  
Each year someone has hosted the People's Choice Awards (The Deadlies) to celebrate and recognise the community contributions during that year. Nobody has picked up the mantle for running the latest one for 2014's contributions so I'd like to pick up the torch and run it before we get too far into 2015. I'd like to ask the community if this is OK.

There is a discussion I'd like to hold regarding making a small change to the Deadlies. I would like to remove the "Most Promising DROD Hold" and "Most Promising RPG Level Set" awards. My justification is because I think the architectural awards are best saved for holds that have been finished, passed the HA process and published on CaravelNet. Including unfinished holds into the mix requires extra admin work on behalf of the person running the awards show in figuring out what is eligible as well as more work on behalf of the voting public as they have more holds to play, and given that the awards are only supposed to include the state of the hold at the end of 2014 but they are still changing, this makes judging them more difficult.

In their place I'd like to add a new "Best Community Contributor" award. The Deadlies are mainly focused on contributions towards architectural matters, but I have noticed there are a number of things that go on in the community that probably deserve a bit more recognition. I'd like to offer the requirements for being nominated for this reward as intentionally vague, if someone thinks a particular member has contributed in a way that they think is valuable they can nominate them for this award. It could be anything from Let's Plays, to playtesting, to organisation of community projects, to cool online tools etc. etc. Anything is valid really.

I'm currently compiling a list of nominees for each award which I'll post in this thread when it is ready so that other people can check my list for any omissions, but would like to ask people for some help on a few things:

1) The Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition award, what is actually eligible in this category during 2014?

2) If the community contributor award is seen as a good idea I'd like some help in compiling the list of people, maybe anyone who has some ideas could PM me with nominations?

3) As I have holds published in 2014 I will be nominated for some awards. In the event that I win any, I do not think it would be appropriate for me to write the blurb that accompanies the award, so I would like to request that someone else write those instead.

If you have any thoughts of your own please post them and let's work together to continue to make the annual deadly awards an exciting celebration of the excellent work this community continues to create after such a long time since the release of Architect's Edition back in 2003!
04-03-2015 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies (0)  
Thanks for picking this up kieran! I would have liked to run the Deadlies again, but I just haven't had a lot of free time lately.
kieranmillar wrote:
There is a discussion I'd like to hold regarding making a small change to the Deadlies. I would like to remove the "Most Promising DROD Hold" and "Most Promising RPG Level Set" awards. My justification is because I think the architectural awards are best saved for holds that have been finished, passed the HA process and published on CaravelNet. Including unfinished holds into the mix requires extra admin work on behalf of the person running the awards show in figuring out what is eligible as well as more work on behalf of the voting public as they have more holds to play, and given that the awards are only supposed to include the state of the hold at the end of 2014 but they are still changing, this makes judging them more difficult.
I agree completely with this. There are way too many categories and this seems like a good one to cut.
kieranmillar wrote:
In their place I'd like to add a new "Best Community Contributor" award. The Deadlies are mainly focused on contributions towards architectural matters, but I have noticed there are a number of things that go on in the community that probably deserve a bit more recognition. I'd like to offer the requirements for being nominated for this reward as intentionally vague, if someone thinks a particular member has contributed in a way that they think is valuable they can nominate them for this award. It could be anything from Let's Plays, to playtesting, to organisation of community projects, to cool online tools etc. etc. Anything is valid really.
This is a cool idea. Sort of a community-selected "Don't Ask" award. I already have someone in mind to nominate. :D
04-03-2015 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies (+1)  
I'm just gonna dump some useful info into this post for my own benefit, don't mind me! I'll be editing it a bunch.

<Nothing to see here anymore, move along!>

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 04-04-2015 04:34 PM]
04-03-2015 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies (+2)  
I've compiled the people involved in voice acting for TSS direct from the game's credits, but I don't know anyone's forum names. For the benefit of the nominations stage if anyone knows the forum names of any voice actors in the below list then please let me know. (The below list is the credits from TSS for voice actors)

*Michael Abbot - Pit Thing, Tendry, King Dugan, Bruntchief, Jebowdly
*Steve Anderson - Hallholder Bombus Gadhan, Patrons
*Valentine Andreev - Narrations, Conductor, Citizens
*Spring Atkinson - The Critic
*Mariah Erlick - Ebby
*Erik Hermansen - Arky, Guards, Spogey
*Karl Horton - Narrations
*Sean Hunt - Halph
*Lillian Macleod - Qwenna, Narration
*Jonathan Parkin - Narration
*Tony Porter - A1, Guardian, Abovegrounders
*Daniel Pugh - First Chemist, Cairos, Narratons, Conductor, Stalwart
*Michael S. Repton - Narrations
*Brian Richardson - Truth Vessels
*John W. Rogers Jr. - Constructs, Conductor, Narrations
*Sten Ryason - Beethro
*Chase Samuelson - Narrations
*Adrienne E. Siskind - Occasio
*Clayton Weiss - First Librarian
*Johannah West - Farrow Child
*Logan West - Engineers, Narrations, Gribbles, Inspector, Citizens, Guards

In other news I'm thinking that the best custom game element and best scripting awards should be merged into one so that the custom element award isn't just filled entirely with different elements from Lavender Levels :p
04-03-2015 at 08:03 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies (+3)  
Michael Abbott = Abbyzzmal
Steve Anderson = SGACreative
Sean Hunt = coppro
Lillian Macleod = Elfstone
Daniel Pugh = RabidChild
Michael S. Repton = Nuntar
Brian Richardson = Dischorran (an anagram of Richardson :P )
John W. Rogers Jr. = Casebier
Clayton Weiss = ClaytonW
Logan West = west.logan

And here's the list of who did which narrations. Where more than one person is mentioned, they are listed in the order they speak in that text.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Schik at 04-03-2015 08:24 PM]
04-03-2015 at 08:19 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
But what if I'm curious which element was the favorite?

04-03-2015 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
Valentine Andreev = me

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

04-03-2015 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
I've mentioned it in chat, but will mention it here in public for full disclosure too, here is my current plan for running these awards.

1) When I have compiled it all, I will be creating the nominations thread in Contests. This thread will list every award, their criteria, and have an accompanying shortlist of every hold that is eligible for that reward under those criteria. The criteria will be copied from last year's awards. The nominations thread is an opportunity to shorten the number of voting options in each category as they can get quite large. One idea I had would be to provide a preliminary list of candidates I felt were suitable and allow anyone at this stage to suggest holds I should include if I didn't already do so, but after a discussion in chat this may not be a good idea. For categories like "Best Hold" I was not planning on shortening the list at all.

2) Due to the very large list of voice acting roles this year due to TSS, the nominations thread is going to ask for people to help make the list more manageable by letting people nominate which roles should be options for the voting stage.

3) I will also open the new community award for nominations where people can PM me names of members they would like to nominate, optionally along with reasons why, and these private nomination will form the voting options in the voting thread.

4) Once the nomination stage closes, a new thread will be created with a poll for people to vote for the winners of each award.

--------------

After some thought I may not remove the custom elements award and leave it as a separate award to the scripting award. I was worried that an award with tons of options all based around one hold would bias people's opinions in other categories, and that any award for scripting would be almost certainly awarded to a hold with a custom mechanic/element anyway so it would be handing a hold two awards for the same thing, but I think that's maybe not a justified worry on my part. Besides, the list of custom elements is not particularly huge and it will be a fun thing to vote on, so why not?
04-03-2015 at 10:15 PM
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
Last year we have seen many excellent holds and therefore I'd like to vote this year.

Is there any posting that describes the rules?

Or will they be posted with the poll?

adS

04-04-2015 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
The awards have begun, see the contests forum for the thread.

There's no harm in continuing to use this thread for meta-discussion around the award ceremony in general (anything specific to this year's awards should probably go in the current voting/nominations/results thread)
04-04-2015 at 05:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A preliminary thread about the 2014 Deadlies
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com