Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Krighton's Castle (Puzzle variety)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.4/10 (8 votes)
σ 1.32
Author Name:12th Archivist
Submitted By:12th Archivist
Hold Name:Krighton's Castle
Theme:Puzzle variety
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:113
Number of Monsters:1733
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Krightons Castle.hold (87.1 KB)
Downloaded 587 times.
License: Other
icon Krighton's Castle  
Can you smite your way through a thousand-year-old castle and earn your five million greckles? Will you ever figure out what "they" are looking for?
04-19-2014 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Krighton's Castle (+1)  
This is a largish and pretty decent hold that, to me at least, echoes the general feel of TCB in its room design, and is generally quite forgiving in difficulty, usually intentionally. Most rooms are based on an interesting twist on a standard idea: one of the better ones features pulling a mass of guards off a central pressure plate while using them to keep a travelling citizen from causing problems, and there is good use made of speed potions in several others. Occasional rooms cross the line into tedium and keep going (manipulate a guard into killing 22 waterskippers for me while I'm swordless? No thanks.), but they're in the minority. Plus there's a neat minor metapuzzle slipped in.

All in all, a hold worth a look, if a little loosely constructed.

EDIT: Also, there's author commentary. Generally it's the author complaining about how the room isn't so great in some aspect or another. But it's easily skipped.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 04-21-2014 01:13 AM]
04-21-2014 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
I just managed to go the secret way to Automatic Chambers:4N1W.

An excellent idea - much better than those broken walls :)

adS

04-24-2014 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Krighton's Castle (0)  
Backtracking problem: I completed Guards' Barracks 1S2E by exiting east. After clearing 1S3E, there's no way to get back out through 1S2E due to a closed door.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-27-2014 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Krighton's Castle (0)  
Oops, confirmed; in HA I forgot to check the return for both completed and uncompleted room state.

A green door would fix this; more subtly, the secret passage could run up to the tunnel and approach from the eastern square so that it can't be entered that way.

04-28-2014 at 01:00 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
This hold starts out really promising with the cool castle to explore and exciting story premise. The Upper Ramparts level lets you see the castle below it in the pits and if you place a clone in it, you will be thrown back to the room it represents in the same location you placed your clone. Its got some neat touches like that.

But man so many of the rooms fall far too much on the side of tedious.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 03-31-2016 09:47 PM]
03-31-2016 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Krighton's Castle (Puzzle variety) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com