Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Diamond Dungeon (A little bit of everything)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged
icon Re: Diamond Dungeon (0)  
As i suspected, there was an unintended solution. V1.5 should solve this by moving the one black door a few spaces east.
02-02-2013 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Level 8: Gel cutting. not for me.

bonus 4: mimics
reminded me of war holds which isn't a bad thing. Very easy.

bonus 3: mirrors
7s1w- can this be solved? the ee at 33,8 is looking at 26,15 which you need to pass over to kill it.
4s1w- a lot of stuff here i never used. i used the mirror to kill the northern snake then i used the 4 mirrors and goblin to kill the southern snake. done.

02-03-2013 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
V1.6 is here!

Mostly just trivial/unintended solutions removed.

Click here to view the secret text

02-03-2013 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Bonus 1: Goblins Big level, some nice rooms.
Bonus 2: Rattlers, fine level
1s4e- unintended solution i think. I immediately released the roach at 12,14 then ran out the tunnel and around cw to get it to step on the pressure plate.
Bonus 5: Halph
4n1e & 4n2e- maybe add conquer token so player gets high scores for these
Bonus 6: Orbs, too many orbs for me
Bonus 7: Stalwarts just played a couple.
Bonus 8: Brains, a lot of battling.
I played the northern rooms, 1e and 1s.

That's about all the testing i'll likely be doing on this.
There are a LOT of rooms. I think there everyone should find a lot to enjoy!
02-03-2013 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Hello, I played level 8 and I really like it, here's my comments.

1N: Easy, good beginning
2N: Good increasing. I suggest to put the black door one square lower.
3N: Easy but it needs checkpoints.
4N: Not bad, as 2N you should put the black door one square lower.
5N: I liked this room but I don't understand the east part of the room; also, I went up to (6,12) to separate the last gel baby, is this intended?
6N: Easy
1E: Nice room, especially the last trick.
2E: Easy but very very funny room.
3E: Another nice room, this one is pretty harder than the other rooms in the level; but the secret passage to 1S3E does not work. I also noticed that 3E, 4E and 1S4E are not required so there should be no problem about creating a baby after conquering the room and then leave.
4E: Best room in the level IMO I really liked it! Though I didn't understand the purpose of the goblin.
1S4E: I killed mud mothers first, then wait safely for the tar to grow all over the room to kill the snakes and then cut the gel blob at (14,11) protected by the tar; the trapdoors and roach queens are not that useful IMO.

02-11-2013 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
5N is intended, removing the secret passage. The roach queens were just supposed to be an annoyance; trapdoors provide a way to kill the serpents, though I suppose there are other ways you can do that.

I've had a major setback in the creation of this hold. A couple days ago, my saves somehow got corrupted. I've had to remove them, so I've lost all my demos and restore data. Everything else appears to be fine though.

02-12-2013 at 12:06 AM
bomber50
Update: In the past few months I've managed to get back almost all of my demos, which has been great.

I've decided to just include the first bonus level and perhaps use the other ones as separate holds.

Currently working on one more level for it, after which I'll finish polishing it up, and then post a final version here if anyone wants to make sure it's all good.
08-01-2013 at 08:15 PM
bomber50
I've finally gotten back to working on this. I've polished the hold up, removed all but one of the bonus levels, added level descriptions, removed a few rooms and various other things...

More or less, I'm not planning on doing much more with this hold. I'll probably submit it to the HAs after The Second Sky gets released, so I can remove a fair amount of the checkpoints that were put in place because there was no unlimited undo.

A new version has been placed in the first post.

I have copies of what should be all the demos required for the HA process.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 02-09-2014 06:10 AM]
02-09-2014 at 06:09 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
bomber50 wrote: More or less, I'm not planning on doing much more with this hold. I'll probably submit it to the HAs after The Second Sky gets released, so I can remove a fair amount of the checkpoints that were put in place because there was no unlimited undo.
Unlimited undo is no excuse for failing to provide checkpoints. First, not everyone will play with it enabled. More importantly, it's a different tool that doesn't serve the same purpose. Checkpoints allow you to get back to a key choice point and try something else with one keypress. Having to undo back a hundred moves every time you want to try something else isn't a huge improvement on having to start from the beginning of the room and re-enter the first hundred moves of the solution every time.

02-09-2014 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Nuntar wrote:
bomber50 wrote: More or less, I'm not planning on doing much more with this hold. I'll probably submit it to the HAs after The Second Sky gets released, so I can remove a fair amount of the checkpoints that were put in place because there was no unlimited undo.
Unlimited undo is no excuse for failing to provide checkpoints. First, not everyone will play with it enabled. More importantly, it's a different tool that doesn't serve the same purpose. Checkpoints allow you to get back to a key choice point and try something else with one keypress. Having to undo back a hundred moves every time you want to try something else isn't a huge improvement on having to start from the beginning of the room and re-enter the first hundred moves of the solution every time.

I don't think you understand the degree of checkpoints I have in my hold. Most of the rooms have 5+ checkpoints minimum, with many having 20+. The most in one room right now is about 160.

The reality is, my hold still has more checkpoints per puzzle room than any other hold out there right now. Some of the 2000+ checkpoints I had in this hold were hardly even useful with one-move undo. And this <0.5% of checkpoints were just removed by me. For example, L7: 1N1E had an unnecessary amount of checkpoints; I added 1 checkpoint in the orb area and removed half the checkpoints, forming a criss-crossed pattern. Ultimately, I expect that to only impact <0.5% of all players, and have virtually no impact when you have 2-move undo.

I'm going to submit this hold now, as I don't see much point in waiting.
02-09-2014 at 04:19 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Yeah, the submitted copy does seem to retain a generous number of checkpoints. This is A Good Thing.

02-10-2014 at 12:32 AM
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
I don't understand the discussion about unlimited undos.
Are there any rumors regarding unlimited undos in drod 5?

adS

02-16-2014 at 11:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Diamond Dungeon (A little bit of everything)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com