Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A World in Miniature (Actually pretty simple this time)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: A World in Miniature.hold (24.8 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A World in Miniature (+3)  
I've been making this hold over the past while. The first level is pretty easy harder than I thought it would be, the second level is a tad harder. I think you'll find it rather interesting. I can confirm that every room is solvable.

Somewhat unrelated to some of this, one of the rooms, 2S2W has a messy tangle of scripting that is honestly quite poorly done, but I sort of need. If anyone knows any better way of doing it, then I would appreciate it.

Edit: Hold last updated July 14.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 07-15-2013 04:56 AM]
01-16-2013 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: A World in Miniature (+2)  
This hold looks like a masterpiece to me.

The layout leaves access to plenty of puzzles which is good since they can be difficult. The map art is very nice.

Level: AWiM
2N1W- Unsolved. I see that the queen must lay baby on the pp while the ww prevents a baby from spawning below.
2N- fun room w/ doors and seeps
2N1E- Unsolved. It seems an adder must be shrunk 2 length two then used to kill the other adder.
1N2W- Unsolved. Some tricky rock giant/golem killing.
1N1W- Fine room w/ adder and golem.
1N,1N1E- both fine
1N2E- Unsolved. Making stepping stones in water. Beyond me at this point.
2W- Tar cutting. A little random, but ok.
1W- Nice mud skipper killing.
entr- fine mirror/eyes puzzle for starters.
1E- fine gel/goblin puzzle.
2E- easy tar puzzle.
1S2W- Unsolved. Evil giant.
1SW- Fun rock golems room.
1S- Fine mud cutting with mimics. Took a bit of fiddling with.
1S1E- Easy serpent dropping from bridge.
1S2E- Good trap door/ disarm puzzle.
2S1W- Fine sokoban-like mirror moving.
2S- Walked around and puzzle happened to get solved by random luck so no real comments.
2S1E- Unsolved. I'm not getting the giant onto the pp any time soon:(

Level: aSW

Entr- US
1W- fine. used sw door to hold roach.
1N- fine, I think. I never struck the north center orb. roach triggers pp, then kill roach.
2n2E- fine. keep trapping roach in corners.
1n2e- fine. Used central roaches for southern pps, then brought roaches around outside for northern pps.
3e- fine. reordering roaches is no probs while invisible.
2S1E- US
2S- my favorite. some tricky roach manipulation that I actually solved!

1E- nice map art but no puzzle:(

I hope more people will test this and comment on the many rooms I couldn't.

Super hold!!

[Last edited by larrymurk at 01-21-2013 09:44 PM]
01-21-2013 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Sure, why not?

So far I have conquered the first level and managed to enter the second one, but only took a short glance at it. Here are quite a few comments (secreted for length, but there might also be some minor spoilers):

Click here to view the secret text

I hope this little review was helpful in any way. I might try the second level sometime soon and give a little more feedback.

Lukas :)
01-21-2013 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: A World in Miniature (+1)  
Thanks for all the comments, I've been busy recently and haven't been able to do too much to this hold. I've fixed the two unintended solutions and I moved 2S1E to 2S and changed 2S to a new room which is now in 2S1E.

I've made a few minor changes including adding some checkpoints and I've made 2N2W easier to find, I was hoping that a player would see the two broken walls in 2W, but I guess that wasn't obvious enough.

About the other comments:
I don't think I'll ever be able to make the tunnels/doors clearer, I tried to make tunnels out of other squares once, but given the very limited brown palate I could not.

I think I'll add something to the outside of the second level, since it definitely needs it. I hadn't gotten around to it and wasn't sure if I needed to at the time, but I will.

I'll get around to making some larger changes eventually, it could be a little while though.

01-25-2013 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
The second level is definitely a lot tougher than the first one. I have only solved a few of the rooms so far, I'll come back to the others later.

That's about all I could solve so far, but I'm enjoying these rooms. Quite tricky roach manipulation.
02-28-2013 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: A World in Miniature (0)  
I think these issues were fixed in the most recent version, and if not, I have them fixed right now. I'm planning to update the hold once I finish making the second level look less barren.

As for 1N and 1S1E being similar, that probably stems from the way I make rooms. Where I make something that looks interesting and mess with it until it becomes possible or reaches a good level of difficulty. I might try to make a room to replace one of the two, although I think both rooms are good in their own way, and there is some difference between the two.

It might be a little while till I get to updating this hold, who knows though.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-28-2013 11:40 PM]
02-28-2013 at 11:39 PM
Lucky Luc
blorx1 wrote:
I think these issues were fixed in the most recent version, and if not, I have them fixed right now. I'm planning to update the hold once I finish making the second level look less barren.
Just checked it again, I seem to have the most recently posted version, but as long as it's fixed, I guess it's all good. I'll try to figure out the intended solution then.
blorx1 wrote:
As for 1N and 1S1E being similar, that probably stems from the way I make rooms. Where I make something that looks interesting and mess with it until it becomes possible or reaches a good level of difficulty. I might try to make a room to replace one of the two, although I think both rooms are good in their own way, and there is some difference between the two.
Ah, that explains why your rooms often look impossible ;) . Anyway, I didn't say this was a bad thing, I found both rooms quite enjoyable.

I also managed to solve a few more rooms today, but I still got a few to go:

03-01-2013 at 12:38 AM
blorx1
I've got a new version of the hold. I've made changes to both levels at the moment.

In the first level I toned down 1N2W and 2S1E and moved their harder versions to the second level as secrets. I also moved 2N1E to a the second level, and added a new room which should be relatively simple. I also haven't received comments on the new room at 2S1W. The stairs that used to end the hold also go to a second entrance on the second level.

In the second level I added some mini map art and stuff, as well as the aforementioned secrets. Due to some shifting, I probably broke a ton of demos. The entrance should also be fixed for real in this version.

I haven't had a chance to confirm that anything isn't broken in the version, or that the hold is even solvable from a fresh start. It should be though.

03-02-2013 at 08:58 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406

File: A world in miniature level 1.demo (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
I just (almost) finished a pass through the first level. It's pretty much fantastic!

A couple minor annoyances, neither of which is a huge deal:
1S needs to be repeated every time one passes through it when exploring around.
The rooms are packed tight enough that occasionally it's not clear what all the things are that get stacked up on a tile, most notably when conquer tokens are protected. I'm not sure that there's a good solution to this beyond the helpful right-click feature, but sometimes color-coding with alpha blending can help.

I've attached my demos for the first level, with the exception of 2S, which I can't get; I suspect that it might be unsolvable at present and that the pressure plates should be opening the door instead of toggling it.

03-04-2013 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Thanks for playing through. I updated the hold to fix the mentioned problems.

I guess I missed that problem with 2S, and apparently also with 2N1E. I also made a quick change to 1S to make a pass through much easier. I don't have time right now to check if there are other issues, sorry about missing those earlier.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 03-04-2013 01:11 AM]
03-04-2013 at 12:41 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
The change seems to have worked, and I like your solution to the 1S traversal.

I'm not sure I would've figured out the bonus puzzle without reading the scrolls - it's a cool puzzle, but the feedback is a bit sparse to make it obvious what's being tracked in the absence of being obviously whacked by the golem. Some hint mentioning level layout or some such might be in order.

03-04-2013 at 10:24 PM
blorx1
I've posted a new verion, there aren't any changes to rooms themselves. I added a scroll to 2S2E and changes the wording of the scroll in 2S2W slightly. I'm not sure if it makes the presence of the puzzle more obvious but, I think it might.

The major change, which I might have actually put in the last version, is that the second level is now required to finish the hold, but the optional entrance allows one to reach the secret in 1E. I think the new entrance text for the stairs in AWiM: Entrance that used to end the hold also helps make it more clear that the player didn't find everything in the previous level.

04-03-2013 at 05:19 AM
blorx1
I think this hold is mostly done, though I would appreciate some comments on the rest of the rooms on the second level.

At the moment I don't have plans to change much of anything, though I am thinking that it would be a good idea to add a little rig with a mimic to hit a checkpoint on the first move of each room, allowing the player to not have to switch clones on their first move every time when playing the first level. I'll post a new version as more of a release candidate soon.

05-04-2013 at 02:55 AM
blorx1
Ok, I'm an idiot and at some point I broke one of the rooms on the second level, if you can't solve 1S3E, I broke it. Sorry if anyone wasted their time trying to. I'll post a fixed version with some more updates after I finish recording a demo for every room.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 05-12-2013 07:32 AM]
05-11-2013 at 10:37 PM
blorx1
I finished checking every room, and also made some various updates, fixing all issues that I found. Though, I'm not sure if there were any besides the one I previously mentioned.

More importantly, I added some mimic things to the first level that solve some of the problems, though nowhere near all, though some other checkpoint placement has solved the majority of the others.

I have also added a post-mastery level for some reason. Mostly I was just fiddling around with some random rooms and ended up with something small enough to fit there.

05-12-2013 at 07:43 AM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
I've played most of the first level. A few rooms I'm stuck on - 2N1W I gave up with the wraithwing movement, 2N1E I'm apparently just ignorant to some trick or quirk of decoys, and a couple with rock golems that I'm just not very good at. There were a couple of neat rooms, but most were either too obvious or required some intricate trial-and-errored combination to solve. I do enjoy mini-puzzles, but I feel like we've hit and gone over (under?) a sensible limit here. :?

The mimics with checkpoints are, honestly, really annoying. Most of the time I made a mistake I needed to fully restart anyway to change Beethro's first movement, or because they're not going to help when you start with sword swings, or because three or four had moved and I wasn't paying attention to how many times I'd actually need to hit 'R' to get back to the first one. Plus hearing them die all the time was annoying. Plus they just made for more visual pollution and I was already staring at the entrance room for long enough before it kicked in that, no, the little square in the middle is all that I actually had to pay attention to here. Plus these are 5x5 puzzles what are you even doing here, checkpoints? You are drunk, go home.

The background for the golem and roach tile-rooms were pretty (as was, like, the entire second level when I peeked at it in the editor), but the tunnel-spam backgrounds were really ugly. And if we're being pedantic, the hold name could be capitalised for neatness.
05-12-2013 at 01:11 PM
blorx1
I've made some minor changes, since I still think this hold is most of the way done.

I removed the mimics in the first level and added a couple more checkpoints to avoid having to re-switch clones for most rooms.

I think that I should probably replace 1S1W on the first level, since it is rather annoying. The other room that still bothers me is 2N1W, since I like most of the puzzle, but would like to find a way around getting the wraithwing out, since that has ended up being the hardest part of the room.

Besides this, I don't think I have too many more changes left to make. If I think of a way to make the super room more clear I will.

I also marked 2S2W in A Simpler World as unrequired, since it would have been too difficult as a secret.

06-14-2013 at 10:20 PM
blorx1
I've made more, various changes, but nothing particularly major. I expect this to be the last update, barring any unforeseen mistakes, since I'm pretty happy with just about everything.

changes:

AWiM:
added a decoy potion to 2N1W, making the room much less annoying.
Switched out 1W and 1S1E, since I didn't really like the rooms all that much. 1W was too simple and 1S1E felt really trial and error-ey.
Removed the spiders from the secret rooms, since they don't add anything.

ASW:
Made the entrance unrequired and added a conquer token so that it would only be conquerable from the secret entrance, making optimizing that room more interesting.

I don't think I made any other changes. I haven't had any comments for the post-mastery level, and I'm not sure if I got any for all of the second level, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

06-28-2013 at 11:35 PM
blorx1
I've uploaded this hold to the HA's. If anything super important comes up I'll probably still be able to change it if necessary.

07-15-2013 at 04:41 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A World in Miniature (Actually pretty simple this time)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com