Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architecture by Hand (Official forum contest for February)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged

File: Architecture by hand.hold (2.4 MB)
Downloaded 95 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Architecture by Hand (+1)  
It's time again for another official forum contest! This one is based on a neat concept submitted by Dischorran, so all the credit goes to him. It's called "Architecture by hand", and it's for those of you who like to have the left and right sides of your brain talk to each other. The aim of this contest is simple:

Draw a DROD level by hand. All floors, walls, and pits must be of the image variety.

Submit your entry as a version 3.x .hold file. Contributions will be voted on by how your images contribute to the level.

I don't want to be too prescriptive here in order to keep options open for creativity. I'd like to provide some general suggestions as a way to jumpstart your inspirational process, but these are not hard and fast rules. Consider details such as artistic expression, creativity, and presentation in your voting. But, ultimately, it is you and all of the Caravel community that will decide what they like best out of the contest entries.

* You might consider how you could use your level's architecture for an interesting presentation of an image.
* Conversely, you might consider how to use images to make or present an engaging puzzle or room architecture.
* Think of ways to break boundaries we typically expect in DROD.
* The artistic merits of your images in and of themselves are not paramount. You don't have to be an artist to enter and win this contest! I'd discourage spending 20 hours drawing a beautiful, highly-detailed picture, but then just slapping it into an empty room and calling that a level.
* Factors such as level size, puzzle design and difficulty, and use of DROD game elements can potentially contribute to your work, but only to effectively show off the images you have included. By themselves, these factors should not be used in rating entries.
* Please only submit entries that adhere to the usual Caravel Forum standards.

If you don't have access to a scanner, I'll allow the use of a drawing program like MS Paint to create your images so no one is shut out of the contest based on what they have on-hand. In this case, please limit the digital tools you use in order to do basically what you would do when drawing by hand. However, I think you'll have more fun with this contest if you can make a non-digital work, even if you're not used to this sort of thing. You can use pencil, pen, markers, crayons, paint, etc., in your drawing.

Attached here is a demo hold, made by Dischorran. The puzzles here were difficult for me to solve, but they work well with his hand-drawn images to show off some ideas of what you might create for a hand-drawn DROD level. Kudos for the idea, Dischorran!

You have until the end of February to submit your level, after which point, we'll post entries for judging and give until March 10 to vote on them.

First place winner receives a prize from the prize pile and 100 rank points! Second and third place winners receive 50 and 25 rank points, respectively. Everyone who enters receives a contest credit. Once you have eight of these, you can get a free DROD game of your choice.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-10-2012 03:59 PM]
02-10-2012 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3407

File: DROD grid white.png (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 115 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Architecture by Hand (+3)  
Oh, hey, this. A few ancillary notes I'd been thinking about:

*Another option for those who don't have a scanner: the pictures in the demo hold were taken with a cell phone camera held directly above the paper, and then adjusted with Photoshop's perspective command to fix remaining issues with the angle of the camera.

*Room tiles are 22x22 pixels. A full-room image is 836x704 pixels; I've attached the template I used for drawing this. In principle, if this gets printed and then scanned back in at 100 pixels/inch, it should come out about right and gives most of a sheet of paper to work with. (I think.)

*Image pits work better than image walls - walls leave a shadow. As long as your initial image placement puts the upper-left corner of the image in the upper-left corner of the room, pits, walls, and floor will all work appropriately off of the same image. If it doesn't work right initially or you need to change a room's image, hit F9 in the editor.

*I'm *so* not an artist, as can be seen easily in the demo hold. And yet, I went ahead and did it anyway. So can you!

02-10-2012 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Architecture by Hand (0)  
nice idea, look fun to me!!
02-10-2012 at 05:10 PM
Dischorran
icon Re: Architecture by Hand (+3)  
So I guess we need a place to collect all those amazing holds y'all are putting together?

The submission topic's thisaway.

02-13-2012 at 08:30 PM
Dischorran
ONE WEEK left, folks! Get your submissions in!

02-22-2012 at 07:09 PM
Dischorran
Aww... :weep

[Last edited by Dischorran at 02-26-2012 12:24 AM : Needs smiley]
02-26-2012 at 12:23 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architecture by Hand (Official forum contest for February)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com