Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Snake Budkin (Snake in DROD RPG)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged

File: Snake Budkin.drh (56.2 KB)
Downloaded 107 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Snake Budkin (+2)  
This little gem was residing on my disk for over a year now and I have wanted to publish it many times.

It is basically a logical, turn-based version of your usual snake game. There are 15 puzzle rooms and 5 tutorials.

Play it, and if you want add some levels. I'd like to publish it as a hold at some point, when there are, say, 100 levels? If there are people willing to add rooms, I can also add a few myself.

If you want to make something awesome out of it - by all means, please do so.

Enjoy!

Note that this hold uses modified Wubba graphics but I didn't get permission to use them, yet I hope it will be all right.

[Last edited by skell at 12-01-2011 05:11 PM]
12-01-2011 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Snake Budkin (+1)  
The door in 003: Trickster doesn't work. Trigger is set at ten gems, only two exist.

[Last edited by Doom at 12-01-2011 04:36 PM]
12-01-2011 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Doom wrote:
The door in 003: Trickster doesn't work. Trigger is set at ten gems, only two exist.

Fixed. I must admit to not testing it thoroughly, because last two times I tried to do that before posting it here I got lazy and dropped out of the idea.

12-01-2011 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Doors tutorial is similarly broken, as the stat reset npc assigns attack to 3 rather than 0. The rest of the hold is working fine. Quite a cute concept :)
12-01-2011 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Doom wrote:
Doors tutorial is similarly broken, as the stat reset npc assigns attack to 3 rather than 0. The rest of the hold is working fine. Quite a cute concept :)
Now this one is weird, as I was sure I tested it and it worked. Though maybe something got messed because in the meantime I did a couple of export-imports.

Anyway fixed and updated file in the first post. Thanks :)

12-01-2011 at 05:12 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Snake Budkin (0)  
This is amazing.

I will look into making some more levels. Are there any other elements you plan on adding?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-01-2011 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
12th Archivist wrote:
This is amazing.

I will look into making some more levels. Are there any other elements you plan on adding?

I don't know if they were scripted yet, but I wanted to add more enemies:

- those who move along a wall
- those who move forward until hit wall and then turn left/right 45 degrees and continue movement
- those who follow player and move every other turn

And that's pretty much all.

12-01-2011 at 11:41 PM
skell
Oh, pretty likely, that's why I wrote that I don't know if they were already scripted ;).

12-04-2011 at 01:33 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Wait, Trickster gets a level named after her but I don't? Unfair!

12-04-2011 at 08:42 PM
skell
Dischorran wrote:
Wait, Trickster gets a level named after her but I don't? Unfair!

There wasn't ain't no Trickster on the forums back in the days I was making this...

But then again, a final level called "Dischorran" is so awesome I can easily fulfil your fishmaster wish sir.

12-04-2011 at 08:56 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Well, this is very cool.

I added trap doors to a room.
They drop when the tail passes over them which is nice, but the red door never drops. Anyone know why?
02-29-2012 at 06:06 PM
skell
Maybe red gates don't work like that in RPG? I don't remember, it has been years since I played with it last.

02-29-2012 at 06:18 PM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
Played through quite a few levels and thought it was great, remember playing this kind of game on my old Nokia, only its so much cooler in DROD ;)

One issue I did find, and it may just be a one off thing for me, but it's worth mentioning, when I entered the room that explained force arrows, you spawn on a scroll, it wouldn't read out the scroll to me because it spawned me on it, when I moved over to the next scroll, I could read that, but I couldn't turn around to read the other one because I would bump into myself and die.

Obviously, not a hugely important bug, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Can't wait for more updates! :)

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
02-29-2012 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I think it'd be good if snake budkin could still do normal things like fighting monsters. By removing the command to add the LOOPER entity the snake can fight enemies. But then the tail doesn't appear.

What is this LOOPER entity?
03-04-2012 at 01:52 PM
skell
From what I see, LOOPER is responsible for the game logic. It creates the tail pieces and kills player if he doesn't move. Take a look at the custom character's script. There is a label "KILL IF DIDN'T MOVE" and "CREATE TAIL".

Now when you look at the script of "tail" you will see that first it sets the proper graphics. Afterwards it sets _MyScriptX to the number of times the tail has to wait. After the wait, it clears any trapdoor underneath and silently removes the character from existence.

To make the player able to stop without dying change contents of the IFs in KILL IF DIDN'T MOVE to :
        Wait 1
        Go to ===========KILL IF DIDN'T MOVE

But the tail will still shorten itself when you stand in place. Making the tail shorten ONLY when you move requires quite some additional work but should be also possible :).

03-04-2012 at 07:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Snake Budkin (Snake in DROD RPG)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com