Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Possibly new slayer killing method
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
IP: Logged
icon Possibly new slayer killing method (+1)  
I think I've been able to find a method for killing the slayer. I'm quite sure that this is a new method.

This method allows you to kill the slayer with almost any kind of obstacle and certain types of walls.

included is a hold which shows this method. There are two rooms, and two demos are provided. Just click on "watch demo" twice to see them.

This method works both horizontal and vertical.

EDIT: there's an updated version a little bit below.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 05-11-2010 09:06 PM]
05-11-2010 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (0)  
News to me. And I thought I knew Slayer quirks quite well already.
Timo006 wrote:

It doesn't seem to work mirrored, though. It does work in every possible outside corner, but in all of them from only one of the two approaching directions. That would be because the Slayer appears to prefer turning his sword clockwise when the player is directly behind him.

I tested this more and compiled a hold with more details about where they Slayer can, and can not be killed like this.

Simplifying it a little before posting.
05-11-2010 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006

File: Test.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 170 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (+1)  
Doom wrote:
News to me. And I thought I knew Slayer quirks quite well already.
Timo006 wrote:

It doesn't seem to work mirrored, though. It does work in every possible outside corner, but in all of them from only one of the two approaching directions. That would be because the Slayer appears to prefer turning his sword clockwise when the player is directly behind him.

I tested this more and compiled a hold with more details about where they Slayer can, and can not be killed like this.

Simplifying it a little before posting.

I already know this, that's why there's a second room showing a slighly different technique, though I guess that I should have made that part a little more clear.

On an other note, I've just found out that the second method CAN be mirrored.

As to horizontal and vertical, I meant that turning the room 90 degrees clockwise doesn't matter, as long as the basic oriëntation of the slayer, Beethro and the wall are the same.

EDIT: Here's an updated version of the hold. Please note that there are a total of 3 different rooms, all showing different techinques.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 05-11-2010 09:05 PM]
05-11-2010 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom

File: Slaying Time.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 147 times.
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (+2)  
Timo006 wrote:
I already know this, that's why there's a second room showing a slighly different technique, though I guess that I should have made that part a little more clear.

Just to be clear, both methods work if you press both F7 and F8 in the editor. If you press only either one of them, neither method will work (so rotating 90 degrees works as you said, but rotating around an axis doesn't)
edit: Your first and third room show that it indeed can work from both directions. It doesn't work in mine that way, though, because there's too much empty space around the outer corners. Quite interesting...

Also what wasn't mentioned yet, is that you need the walls that you run the Slayer into set properly, or it'll also fail. I'm not really sure how to explain this, so you can just look at the hold.

Hit the orb and you shouldn't be able to kill the Slayer at any of the spots due to running into the wrong wall at first. (Note that half of the marked areas are just duplicates, there are four different spots that work and four that don't)

[Last edited by Doom at 05-11-2010 09:18 PM]
05-11-2010 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Doom wrote:
Timo006 wrote:

Just to be clear, both methods work if you press both F7 and F8 in the editor. If you press only either one of them, neither method will work (so rotating 90 degrees works as you said, but rotating around an axis doesn't)
edit: Your first and third room show that it indeed can work from both directions. It doesn't work in mine that way, though, because there's too much empty space around the outer corners. Quite interesting...

Also what wasn't mentioned yet, is that you need the walls that you run the Slayer into set properly, or it'll also fail. I'm not really sure how to explain this, so you can just look at the hold.

Hit the orb and you shouldn't be able to kill the Slayer at any of the spots due to running into the wrong wall at first. (Note that half of the marked areas are just duplicates, there are four different spots that work and four that don't)

I see, I've checked it, and it seems that you're right. I must note, however that, if I don't touch the orb, that all the marked spots can be used to kill the slayer.

Also, it seems possible to me that you can at least kill slayers in almost all confifuration using inside corners (using technique 2 and 3.

05-11-2010 at 10:08 PM
Doom
Timo006 wrote:
I must note, however that, if I don't touch the orb, that all the marked spots can be used to kill the slayer.
Yeah, that was the intention.
05-11-2010 at 10:49 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
That really is spectacular. I think I'm going to replay JTRH and see how many rooms I can kill the slayer in.
05-12-2010 at 06:21 PM
Timo006

File: ST Test The Entrance.demo (696 bytes)
Downloaded 219 times.
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (+4)  
Doom wrote:Hit the orb and you shouldn't be able to kill the Slayer at any of the spots due to running into the wrong wall at first. (Note that half of the marked areas are just duplicates, there are four different spots that work and four that don't)

Umm, guys, I managed to kill the slayer with the doors down using a completely new technique. Demo is included, but I haven't experimented much with it yet

EDIT: This technique actually allows you to kill a slayer without the use of an obstacle!!!

[Last edited by Timo006 at 05-12-2010 10:10 PM]
05-12-2010 at 10:02 PM
Doom
Now that is something worthy of passing the old corner trick in usefulness, because it's the first trick I've seen that actually enables a kill in a perfectly square room. That is, it's doable almost everywhere. And yes, it works the same way in all four main directions.
05-12-2010 at 10:15 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I can see people using this to get better scores in some rooms, so maybe this needs to be fixed or something?
05-12-2010 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...why is there a problem with people getting better scores? O_o
05-12-2010 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I recall mrimer once saying that if the Slayer was killable in any normal room in JtRH, then that was a game logic bug, but I can't find it.

05-12-2010 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
I'm pretty sure we decided a long time ago that the game logic isn't getting changed, since we'd lose most high scores for all rooms with Slayers in them ever released.

It's not like Slayer kills are anything new (he's been killed in most JtRH rooms a long time ago, there are lists somewhere on the forum).
edit: Enjoy, 2.5 years old topic: [link]

Banjooie wrote:
...why is there a problem with people getting better scores? O_o
I don't care much about scores, but it does get harder to design decent rooms where there's an evil, unkillable foe chasing you through the room (which is more what he should be like), when it's possible to kill him at every single corner...

[Last edited by Doom at 05-13-2010 12:13 AM]
05-13-2010 at 12:06 AM
Banjooie
You would think the logical conclusion is to make something that, I don't know, is immune to swording, then.
05-13-2010 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
But it makes sense to be able to kill him if you've got an immense group of useless stalwarts.
05-13-2010 at 12:23 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I don't think Banj was referring to making the slayer invincible, I think (s)he was referring to creating a new type of boss monster that was invincible to swords.

Wubblade then?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-13-2010 at 04:22 AM
Chard
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26

File: Slayer Squares.hold (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 77 times.
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (+2)  
I just played Slayer's Weakness, it was almost trivial with this trick. I did some tests on different sizes of room and whether this works on them. 5x5 doesn't seem to be possible but 5x5 with an extra space next to one of the corners does. Only 3 or 4 of the slayers in Slayer's Weakness didn't have a space like that available. I'll draw it to be clear:

Click here to view the secret text

Good slayer killing puzzles are still possible, you just need to avoid that configuration. I made a cute little room based around it though, attached. :-)

[Last edited by Chard at 05-14-2010 11:32 AM]
05-14-2010 at 02:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405

File: SlayerWall.gif (239.6 KB)
Downloaded 614 times.
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (+32)  
Trying to help someone in chat with killing Slayers, I've made a little gif of the "obstacle-less" Slayer killing technique:

Because of the relatively few requirements this trick has, it is one of the most frequently applicable ways of getting rid of a Slayer. For being so versatile, however, it is apparently a remarkably well hidden little trick, as chat user Insoluble commented that he had never seen this particular technique before. He also suggested I post this gif somewhere on the forums and I must admit it took me quite a while to actually find this thread and verify that it was indeed talking about the same thing.

Because of this, I figured it would probably be best to post the gif here, so that any player unaware of this trick can easily see how it works, without having to download a hold and a demo file, attached to different posts of an already fairly obscure thread.

Edit: Feel free to tell me if you have a better suggestion as to where I should have posted this or to cuss me out for necroing an old thread and posting a gif with a file size substantially bigger than it needed to be because I suck at making gifs. I'm just trying to help. :~(

[Last edited by Aquator at 05-14-2016 11:34 PM]
01-06-2016 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Aquator wrote:
Trying to help someone in chat with killing Slayers, I've made a little gif of the "obstacle-less" Slayer killing technique:

I knew this existed because I saw it in a demo once, a long time ago. But I didn't know how to pull it off, nor has it ever been illustrated this clearly. So have all my remaining mod points.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-06-2016 08:08 PM]
01-06-2016 at 07:49 PM
Banjooie
Well, that's completely insane, and amazingly laid out, Aquator.. On a side note, all my mod points seem to be leaking out??
01-14-2016 at 12:09 AM
boodog
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
Is there any way to slow down gifs? That's way too fast for me to tell what's happening. Does Beethro hold position at any point?
01-18-2016 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Can the Slayer be made more defensive by making him turn the hook earlier?

The whole mess seems to start with him reducing the distance to 4 with the hook still in the vulnerable position (not facing Beethro).

If you made him start turning the hook from distance 5, what would it fix? What would it break?

01-18-2016 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405
icon Re: Possibly new slayer killing method (+27)  
boodog wrote:
Is there any way to slow down gifs? That's way too fast for me to tell what's happening. Does Beethro hold position at any point?
No, there are no wait moves shown in that gif. The movement sequence for that particular situation is SW(x6),W,NW,N.
I slowed it down (and removed most of the slayer death animation, because it got pretty long):

01-18-2016 at 07:41 PM
Someone Else
Maurog wrote:
Can the Slayer be made more defensive by making him turn the hook earlier?

The whole mess seems to start with him reducing the distance to 4 with the hook still in the vulnerable position (not facing Beethro).

If you made him start turning the hook from distance 5, what would it fix? What would it break?

It would probably fix this. But it would probably break nearly every demo in JTRH. I think it might be better to make a new slayer (1st slayer, anyone?) with a better AI. Not sure if that's possible or reasonable, but I don't think we want to change the slayer's AI at all.
01-19-2016 at 11:51 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Someone Else wrote:
It would probably fix this. But it would probably break nearly every demo in JTRH. I think it might be better to make a new slayer (1st slayer, anyone?) with a better AI. Not sure if that's possible or reasonable, but I don't think we want to change the slayer's AI at all.
Personally I don't really think we need another slayer, it wouldn't add much. Also it's laughably easy to enforce the slayer is not killed via scripting so you can cover this base :)

01-20-2016 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
skell wrote:
Personally I don't really think we need another slayer, it wouldn't add much.
Agreed.
Also it's laughably easy to enforce the slayer is not killed via scripting so you can cover this base :)
Whoa, I wasn't aware this was so easy. Has a sample script to do this been posted somewhere?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-20-2016 at 04:23 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I believe skell is referring to closing a door if the slayer is killed, rather than a script that mimics the slayer but fixes this exploit.
01-20-2016 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
Heck, you can make rooms that require you to keep the slayer alive for a while without scripting. You can even make rooms where doing so is hard!

Here are some links to Things!

01-20-2016 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
kieranmillar wrote:
I believe skell is referring to closing a door if the slayer is killed, rather than a script that mimics the slayer but fixes this exploit.
Yep, exactly that. Or kill Halph for killing slayer, or switch a variable that will make the player get stuck later and laughed upon.

01-20-2016 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Put a nuke in the slayer's sidecar?

01-20-2016 at 11:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Possibly new slayer killing method
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com