Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : The Match-up of the Decade (Our News for April) This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon The Match-up of the Decade (+4)  
It is a little-known fact that when Mike Rimer was still in high school, he phoned Scott Miller to discuss publishing some of his personal games through Apogee, Scott's fledgling company. This was a time when the Apogee that published Wolfenstein 3D was still known as "Apogee Software". Arguably, the company became well-known to early PC game enthusiasts through Scott's KROZ series. Mike instantly fell in love with KINGDOM OF KROZ when he got to play a shareware version. The simple but engaging gameplay with its colorful ASCII labyrinths drew him in and influenced the fundamental style of game Mike wanted to make in the future.

Mike went on to learn how to program in Turbo Pascal and make a series of tile-based action adventure games with hand-crafted levels full of monsters, bleeps and bloops, and custom 80x25 retro goodness. You can still find a copy of THE 'MERICAN ADVENTURE out there if you want to see one of Mike's early efforts. So, Mike explained to Scott how he had some mad skillz and wanted to share his creations, and Scott was willing to take a look. Their fruitful discussion emboldened Mike to continue on this path of game development.

When Mike met DROD, it was love at first sight all over again. What a refreshing tile-based creation! A discrete entity that nevertheless facilitates infinite diversity in infinite combinations. And the rest is history!

...or, is the best still yet to come? Last year, Apogee/3D Realms released the KROZ games as freeware (including the Pascal source code -- "Oh, goodie!", says the nerdy programmer with childish glee). Upon seeing this, the germ of an idea grew in Mike's nostalgia-laced brainwaves. Mike began looking up some old contacts, shooting off a few tentative e-mails, and making some calls. He decided to give it his all to make his childhood dream come true. Since then, there has been a lot of discussion and back-and-forth that has taken up most of the team's time as we temporarily changed our focus from usual development work on the DROD franchise.

Now, I apologize for the prolonged silence, but we had to keep tight lips. Finally, after months of keeping our initiative under wraps, we have an agreement and are at last able to share some information with you, our faithful fans. Several former employees of Apogee/3D Realms have gotten together to form a new development studio. They have some radical ideas and have investor approval to begin work on a great new title. The punchline here is that they want to license the Deadly Rooms of Death IP for use in their new game. They say our material is some of the most original and promising in the industry, and they want an exclusive share. We're talking a seven-figure deal here!

It puts a smile on my face just thinking about what is coming. Work is now underway on the project (code name "Eternal DROD"). We are quite excited to be interacting with this team of professional, veteran game designers. There are some quite daring and innovative directions being taken in this project, both from the vantage of story-telling as well as game play and community interaction. They won't be translating over DROD game mechanics, but they will be using the unique canon, art style and flavor of DROD to provide an unorthdox backdrop to their up-and-coming world, which will surely get us noticed in a big way when the mainstream title hits. It will look and feel revolutionary.

There will be an official announcement made soon. Stay tuned to hear more news as things progress. Meanwhile, it's business as usual on the forum. The community has always been a huge part of the DROD experience, and you can always find some goodness there to come home to. When you see this big title come out, you can say you heard about it here first!

---------------

RoboBob's Convention-Defying Topic Picks for April

Make Your Own Stupid Topic
http://forum.caravelgames.com/message.php?Action=NewMessage&BoardID=6

The best thing about being part of a niche audience for a niche game is that it turns out we're all a bunch of very similarly-minded people. Odds are good that if a particular topic interests you, that same topic is going to interest a bunch of everybody else on the forums as well. So share your interests with us! We won't bite!

Discuss a TV show. Tell us about your Pokemans. Invent and/or organize a forum game. Link to your favorite webcomic. Share your Steam/XBox/PSN IDs. Post your short story for proofreading. Anything! It doesn't matter! If you feel like an area of the forum is too stuffy or intimidating to post in, let me know via PM (RoboBob3000) and I will post a lolcat to get things moving again.

It's important to remember that even though we've gathered as a community around a game, we're not necessarily a community for the game. We're a community for the community - Caravel just happened to be our hub. I'm constantly thrilled that I have a reliable sounding board made up of so many relatable people. It's awesome being able to share my ideas with you and it's similarly awesome when you share your ideas with me.

And I'm sorry I called your topic stupid. :(

The Single Greatest Topic of All Time
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=30685

This link goes to a topic that doesn't yet exist. Perhaps you could be the one to create it?

If you happen to be the one who snags this topic ID, you'll earn a retroactive Illumination shout-out. So you'd better make it worthwhile. And none of you had better start spamming new topic threads or else you'll get me in trouble with the management.

Latest DROD 3.0 Holds
There haven't been any DROD RPG holds published for a while, but here are all of the DROD 3.0 holds published on CaravelNet since the last illumination:

Experimental Dungeon by mxvladi
NeverForth by Garlonuss
Deconstructed Dungeon by Jacob
Insane Puzzle by Black_Star
The Puzzle Catacombs by NoahT
Way Forward, an architectural compilation
The Deep Archives by TheGreenPhantom
Penwielder's Palace by Penwielder
Holding Dungeon by blorx1
Random Obsessive by BoyBlue
Cycles by BoyBlue

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-01-2010 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The Match-up of the Decade (0)  
This is neat news.

I'd hope that some of the more interesting gameplay ideas from DROD will inspire concepts in Eternal DROD - I can imagine a Serpent making for a great boss fight for an action-RPG. It's exciting to see that they're thinking outside the box when it comes to community interaction, as well - it's an easy way for them to make the game stand out. And also it is neat to see a game I played for years of my life get the big-budget treatment.

04-01-2010 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Huge congratulations! And perhaps this might mean even more to DROD RPG than it does to regular DROD, since I think DROD RPG might have a potentialy broader target group. It puts a smile on my face too. You deserve this.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-01-2010 07:26 AM]
04-01-2010 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
This is very epic news.

However, there's a question I think we all have on our minds: Will it ever get done?
04-01-2010 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts
chinook
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
I'm so excited to hear this news. (on this first day, of this fourth month, of this year of 2010)

04-01-2010 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Ummm...
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-01-2010 09:13 AM]
04-01-2010 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
chinook
Rank Points: 61
Briareos wrote:
Ummm...

chinook wrote:
(on this first day, of this fourth month, of this year of 2010)

That said, I went on the defensive at midnight. However, this hurts more than most I've come across, haha.

[Last edited by chinook at 04-01-2010 09:19 AM]
04-01-2010 at 09:18 AM
piderman
Rank Points: 51
Briareos wrote:
Ummm...
It does a bit yes. Though the latest trend is to just have goofy stuff that is clearly not true, while this at least sounds a bit believeable. I'll keep my hopes up :P
04-01-2010 at 09:21 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Briareos wrote:
Ummm...
Then again, we had real announcements before just to confuse people.

Either way this sounds pretty cool.
04-01-2010 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....Well done, Mrimer. Classy.
04-01-2010 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The Match-up of the Decade (+1)  
I passed this along to an acquaintance of mine, Jeremy Parish at 1up. He's got an interest in retro and roguelikes, and I do some writing for a side project of his. Needless to say, he was very interested, and happened to know a couple of people at the new studio down in Texas. I'm told that they've agreed to talk, and so hopefully there'll be a preview on 1up in a few weeks!

04-01-2010 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: The Match-up of the Decade (-1)  
This news literally means life or death for Caravel games as a company.

It would be very unwise to joke about such things.

Mike probably already knows this.

Therefore, it is likely this news is not an April Fool's joke. Or if it is, there is an equivalent offer from another company.

I hope it's real and I hope to stop speaking in fragmented paragraphs due to my excitement and anxiety.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-01-2010 at 03:06 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
12th Archivist wrote:
I hope it's real and I hope to stop speaking in fragmented paragraphs due to my excitement and anxiety.
And this is why I genuinely hate April Fools Day.
04-01-2010 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Tahnan wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:

Because it makes 12th Archivist excited and fragmented?

I hate April Fools Day because my six-year-old thought that it would be the height of hilarity to set his very loud alarm clock to go off at 4:45 in the morning. He's not exactly subtle, and this particular joyous event was prevented, but I have a taste of what the future will be like.

There are occasionally things that I love about April Fools Day, though. Like this.

Josh

04-01-2010 at 05:51 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
You know, if I ran caravel, and something like this happened, I would totally wait until April Fools Day to post it O:-

... ... Gah I can't stop believing it!

04-01-2010 at 06:19 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Good job Mike! I expect nothing but greatness from this project.

Oh, and hey everyone!

04-01-2010 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Could someone please decipher what "Deadly Rooms of Death IP" means? :blush

04-01-2010 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
12th Archivist
Tahnan wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:
Let me guess: People lose all their sensibilities when it comes to the 1st of April, provided they had any to begin with?
I'm not going to put words in your mouth. It would, however, be nice to give a bit more explanation and I can stop derailing this thread.

04-01-2010 at 06:29 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
skell wrote:
Could someone please decipher what "Deadly Rooms of Death IP" means? :blush
IP stands for "Intellectual Property". In this case, Mike's referring to the story, setting, characters, etc.

04-01-2010 at 06:38 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
RoboBob3000 wrote:
IP stands for "Intellectual Property". In this case, Mike's referring to the story, setting, characters, etc.
Thanks! I understood from the sentence context what he was talking about but still I was curious what exactly does the acronym stand for.

I haven't heard about Kroz being released! Dang, I will now have to play all of them once again. I sincerely hope the creation which is about to come (sooner or later) will be at least as epic as either Kroz od DROD (best if both).

I am keeping all twenty of my thumbs up for what is going to come. Not that I want to haste anyone into anything, but knowing more details as soon as possible would be... Pure awesomeness!

*mumbling* Dang, now I will have to work twice as hard to have some progress with all the Krozzing now...

04-01-2010 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
12th Archivist wrote:
Let me guess: People lose all their sensibilities when it comes to the 1st of April, provided they had any to begin with?
april fools! he doesn't actually hate april fools :P

04-01-2010 at 07:21 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
If he genuinely hated April fools he wouldn't joke about it. And especially not on April fools :P

04-01-2010 at 07:38 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
but I would

consider yourself fooled :P

04-01-2010 at 09:09 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I'm rather happy to hear that you've been noticed. You do make a game here the likes of which I've never seen before, and I recommend you often.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-01-2010 09:15 PM]
04-01-2010 at 09:13 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Penwielder wrote:
I'm rather happy to hear that you've been noticed. You do make a game here the likes of which I've never seen before, and I recommend you often.

04-01-2010 at 09:16 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I believe it, if mostly because of previous DROD releases being on April 1st.
04-01-2010 at 09:25 PM
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
I can't tell which people, if any, are being serious. It's past midnight here, though, so I think I can say without being a spoilsport that I love the DNF references.
04-01-2010 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I hate April Fool's Day because it encourages pranks that some people believe, thereby either making them angry that they're true, or else making them happy that they're true and thus making them angry when they find out they're not true. Topeka.com's annual April Fool's pranks are funny; things like this are just...well, why get some people's hopes up and then screw them over?
04-02-2010 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
12th Archivist
Tahnan wrote:
I hate April Fool's Day because it encourages pranks that some people believe, thereby either making them angry that they're true, or else making them happy that they're true and thus making them angry when they find out they're not true. Topeka.com's annual April Fool's pranks are funny; things like this are just...well, why get some people's hopes up and then screw them over?
So you're certain this is a prank?

04-02-2010 at 12:48 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-02-2010 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : The Match-up of the Decade (Our News for April) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com