Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : VVVVVV
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon VVVVVV (+2)  
They just don't make games like this anymore. I just played through VVVVVV, the newest (and first shareware) game from acclaimed indy developer Terry Cavanagh (Pathways, Don't Look Back, Judith), and feel that, although it clearly can not be judged in the same way as his more experimental works, is his best game yet. It's addictive, unique enough to feel fresh and periodically soul-crushing.

In VVVVVV you play as Captain Viridian, a little blue stick figure who almost constantly wears a huge grin on his face. Viridian somehow gets his starship stuck in another, less stable dimension and must find his ship, recover his crew and unravel the mysteries of the VVVVVV dimension. Viridian has the ability to reverse gravity if he is standing on the ground (or ceiling), no explanation is ever given for this, nor is one needed. Much like a great 8 or 16 bit game, the player is taught the game's gimmick early and spends the rest of the game exploring more complex and challenging variations on the theme, with the occasional quirk thrown in to keep things fresh. You will die often and the difficulty never lets up, but it only crosses into truly frustrating territory during some of the obstacles protecting the 20 optional shiny trinkets strewn about VVVVVV's world.

The player can explore the entire dimension immediately following the fairly easy introductory level and with a few exceptions can tackle the actual levels in any order. Unfortunately, this is the one part of the game that I feel could have improved: aside from the 5 or so trinkets not found in the actual levels, there's little to do on the overworld aside from walking from level to level. You can find computer terminals that mark level locations on your map, but you'll find them anyway simply by traveling to uncharted tiles on the map. Viridian does not get any additional abilities throughout the game and the structure ends up feeling like little but a glorified level select screen.

This is easily forgiven, however, due to the sheer brilliance of the level design. The variety is astounding given the relative simplicity of the mechanics and, outside of one or two side quests, the game's difficulty level is not excessive. The world has checkpoints sprinkled liberally throughout, so death only sets you back a few seconds in most cases.

Despite this, VVVVVV is unapologetically punishing; you are going to die and you are going to die often. While even games known for their difficulty like N, Castlevania and Dynamite Headdy treat death as a failure, it it treated with so little fanfare in VVVVVV that you learn to stop viewing it as such. You collide with a spike, Viridian turns red for half a second and you are suddenly back at the last checkpoint you touched. Death will come hundreds of times throughout the game (in one room I died 141 times according to my end of game statistics), but it never slows down the game's brisk pace.

Occasionally you'll be whisked away to a dimension not on the map following a rescue, increasing the level count from 6 to about 10, but the game is still a bit on the short side for the price ($15US). I finished my playthrough and picked up the last few trinkets in about four hours, but time trials, a mirror mode and unlockable trophies should easily more than double the playtime for those who are interested. It is perhaps worth noting that a hard mode is included, but considering it ends after a single death it strikes me as more of a joke than a serious game mode.

There's really not that much to say about VVVVVV. It's a solid helping of polished, absurdly fun retro-styled gameplay. If you yearn for the days when games like Mega Man 3 and Ninja Gaiden were able to succeed sheerly on the merits of their polished, challenging gameplay, VVVVVV comes highly recommended.

Normally I would embed the link in the first paragraph, but the website name is amusing enough to post here:
www.thelettervsixtim.es

Ugh.

VVVVVV is available on both Windows and Mac operating systems. A Linux port is coming soon.

[Last edited by Snacko at 01-14-2010 04:38 AM]
01-14-2010 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: VVVVVV (0)  
Damn! I was gonna post a topic about this game, well you beat me to it!

I actually finished the game and getting all trinkets. Has anyone else got that highly impossible one where you have to go through a set of spike traps going about 5 rooms up than return down?
01-16-2010 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Yup, although I actually found the Reckless one harder, not in sheer challenge, but simply because I had no idea what to do for a good 30 minutes.

01-17-2010 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
I would pay $5 for this

Maybe $10

$15 is just out of the question.
01-17-2010 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
What the mushroom guy said.

01-17-2010 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
It's fun and everything but... what the spider thing said.
01-19-2010 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: VVVVVV (+1)  
I've finished the demo in one breath, and it looks fun. Although I'm afraid that it's going to be too hard somewhere later in the game...

I agree on what some people said above, especially the price level, but the main reason I'm not buying it yet is that I don't have a credit card or paypal. (Paypal is scary and CC's is ridiculously expensive here compared to many other countries.)

Trivia: Did you know that this Terry guy is actually a DROD fan and actually plays user holds as well? In fact, his username here is Terry (obviously). ;)

01-24-2010 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
I actually didn't know that, is he still active? The price is indeed a bit steep, and I probably wouldn't have bought the game if I didn't respect Cavanagh's work so much, but I can assure you that the game doesn't really get excessively difficult unless you feel the need to collect all of the shiny trinkets.

[Last edited by Snacko at 01-24-2010 08:20 AM]
01-24-2010 at 08:20 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Snacko wrote:
I actually didn't know that, is he still active?
Well, not recently, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back again when a new official Caravel product is released. (which is hopefully soon)
The price is indeed a bit steep, and I probably wouldn't have bought the game if I didn't respect Cavanagh's work so much,
I must say I haven't played any of his works yet, but I don't mind helping out a fellow DRODer. :)

01-26-2010 at 02:59 PM
Terry
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: VVVVVV (+3)  
Er, hello :)

It's true, I love DROD to bits.
01-26-2010 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
VVVV (4K Java remake)
01-28-2010 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
This game is one of very few indie computer games I actually purchased from the internet. Excellent.

And I found it interesting how much it changed my perspective of up and down. Whenever I travelled at least one screen in one bound, I thought of it as falling, even when it was falling up (which is exactly what it is).
I mean, there's very few other games that I played in which I would see an opening in the ceiling above my head and think to myself "that looks like it must be quite a drop".

I agree about the price, though. Even Braid is just 10 dollars.

I'd value this game at about 8$.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-29-2010 10:29 PM]
01-29-2010 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
Bumping because VVVVVV 2.0 just got released, now includes 10 more levels and a level editor. Just thought I'd share.
07-29-2011 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yur-Val
Rank Points: 66
Wonderful game! The map in VVVVVV like a mini-map in DROD.
07-29-2011 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lakibuk
Rank Points: 93
cheese obsessive wrote:
Bumping because VVVVVV 2.0 just got released, now includes 10 more levels and a level editor. Just thought I'd share.
Cool. I've got an early version of the game. Do you know if i have to rebuy it to get the extra levels?
I've been playing Little Big Planet recently and thought that i like VVVVVV a lot more gameplay wise.

07-31-2011 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I bought the game earlier as well and just recently received an email containing a download link for VVVVVVv2.0. Did you get the same email?
07-31-2011 at 04:00 PM
Snacko
Yar. Apparently it's been updated with a level editor and a whole bunch of new levels. I haven't tried it yet but still absolutely adore this game. The only problem was that it was too short for the price: now that it has more content you don't really have that excuse.

08-02-2011 at 12:45 AM
lakibuk
Rank Points: 93
Ezlo wrote:
I bought the game earlier as well and just recently received an email containing a download link for VVVVVVv2.0. Did you get the same email?
No. Sending an email to the developer was futile, too. I guess i have to wait.

08-04-2011 at 07:13 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407

File: DIAF.png (65.6 KB)
Downloaded 287 times.
License: Public Domain

:ranting

[Last edited by Dischorran at 08-10-2011 08:06 AM]
08-10-2011 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
There are even /worse/ playermade versions. That one was...well, I felt better when I got it.
08-10-2011 at 08:41 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
lakibuk wrote:
Ezlo wrote:
No. Sending an email to the developer was futile, too. I guess i have to wait.
A visit to the Googles says that you just need to redownload the game and the upgrade will be there for you. Always.
08-11-2011 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : VVVVVV
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No