Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Aurelia Keep (Monster manipulation, some efficiency)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.9/10 (10 votes)
σ 2.26
Author Name:Rob
Submitted By:Pinnacle
Hold Name:Aurelia Keep
Theme:Monster manipulation, some efficiency
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:18
Number of Monsters:93
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:11 (+11 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Aurelia Keep.hold (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 869 times.
License: Other
icon Aurelia Keep  
Not too long a hold (a mere 13 puzzle rooms) but I tried to make each room different enough that it's worth playing despite its short length.
07-20-2009 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Aurelia Keep (+1)  
Here's a lovely new bite-sized hold from Pinnacle. As described, test your manipulation skills and efficiency with a pleasing mixture of classic and TCB elements. I found these rooms tricky but not obscure. Recommended. :)
07-20-2009 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Conquered.(still can't find secret room in Storm, though :( ) EDIT: Nevermind, mastered the hold!

A pretty good hold with many good medium-difficulty manipulation and effeciency puzzles. I liked that timers in effeciency puzzles were tight. I like solving effeciency puzzles with tight timers. ;)

My favourite rooms:

Click here to view the secret text

6 for brains and 9 for fun.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-20-2009 03:21 PM : 6, not 5 brains]
07-20-2009 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Aurelia Keep (+2)  
Mastered as well. It's a little intimidating in terms of difficulty--I wandered back and forth among the first three rooms for a little while thinking, "Maybe I'll see how to solve at least one of them"--but one shouldn't really be scared off. Everything's there for a reason, and a little experimentation should get you through it.

It's also nice that it has a little of everything: some hot tiles, some swordless manipulation, a little serpent manipulation. It didn't necessarily cohere as a Grand Unified Theme, but does quite nicely in terms of variety.

Also, I've just learned more about post-rock as a genre than I ever knew before. Thank you, I think, for going with "Aurelia Keep" instead of "LYSFLATH!" as the title of the hold. (Look it up.)
07-20-2009 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3405
This is a good hold of the old-school monster manipulation sort - no unusual scripting, goals, or themes, just clear a well-spread variety of rooms of very similar difficulty and quality.

The puzzles are tricky but entirely fair and tightly constructed: everything is there for a reason, and while efficiency puzzles require trial-and-error to some extent, nearly all the rooms emphasize careful thought and planning. The second level is particularly good!

From an architectural standpoint, two things stand out as particularly exemplary. First, Pinnacle made the smart decision to scale back the initial plans for the hold rather than pad it with filler, which makes for a much better hold overall; quality is more important than quantity. Second, this hold is remarkably free of tedious manipulation of any sort - each room has exactly what it needs for the puzzle, no more, no less.

07-20-2009 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Great hold!

Every room is a well designed puzzle. Also a nice difficulty where I needed some effort but finally managed each room w/o hints.
08-02-2009 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Nice, short and interesting hold. Some comments below, secreted for minor spoilage (but I have tried to not overdo it).

So the first level has five required rooms on it:

The second level has six required rooms.

Overall, I really enjoyed playing through this one.

I give it an 8 for fun and 4 brains.

09-23-2009 at 03:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Aurelia Keep (Monster manipulation, some efficiency) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com