Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Machinarium
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Re: Machinarium (0)  
There are multi-room puzzles later, although in most cases you don't need to wonder where to go. It's when you reach the hub with the bar when things can get complicated.

It has to be said, though, that Machinarium should be absolutely great to watch when you have someone who knows the game inside out. Youtube videos/trailers look really fun.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
11-26-2009 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
b0rsuk wrote:
It has to be said, though, that Machinarium should be absolutely great to watch when you have someone who knows the game inside out.

Wait, what? I can see why you might want to watch experts playing platformers, FPSs or RTSs, but a point 'n' click doesn't seem like it would make compelling viewing.

11-27-2009 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I sort of agree with Rabscuttle, but Machinarium's world is so charming and imaginative that I still think it would be compelling to watch. Not as much fun as actually being able to explore that world, but interesting nonetheless.

11-27-2009 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Rabscuttle wrote:
Wait, what? I can see why you might want to watch experts playing platformers, FPSs or RTSs, but a point 'n' click doesn't seem like it would make compelling viewing.

Because Machinarium looks like top quality cartoon. Just seeing the animations and weird, but very polished scenery is enough. My personal favourite was the scene with the propeller (before the glasshouse). That cracked me up.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-01-2009 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Ah right, I was just focusing on the "knows the game inside and out". If you just want to rewatch the good bits, I can understand that.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 12-01-2009 11:51 PM]
12-01-2009 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I bought this game and finished it a few weeks ago. Stunning graphics, amazing characters, great (logic) puzzles and a whole city to explore with inventive machinery, mini-games, and a great story of love and vengeance.

And yes, nearly every single room gets visited several times just like a classic point-and-click.

Who could ask for more?

Highly recommended :)
12-16-2009 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606

File: Pack.jpg (457.1 KB)
Downloaded 472 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Machinarium (+2)  

http://machinarium.net/blog/2009/12/16/amanita-design-christmas-pack-machinarium-samorost2-for-10-60-off/
Just thought I'd mention this. ;)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 12-17-2009 12:49 AM]
12-17-2009 at 12:48 AM
Lamkin

File: pirates.jpg (680.5 KB)
Downloaded 373 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Machinarium (+1)  

http://machinarium.net/blog/2010/08/05/machinarium-pirate-amnesty/
For those who pirated the game. Of course, it's also a good deal for those who hadn't pirated the game but were merely waiting for the price to go down before they would purchase it, or for those who've never heard of the game before, et cetera, et cetera. Whatever. In short, now would be an opportune time to buy the game if you haven't yet. ;)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 08-06-2010 10:45 PM]
08-06-2010 at 06:14 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I took advantage of the amnesty offer; rather than torrent the thing so I could be a pirate and then have the offer apply to me, I just skipped right to the end. It's a very nice evening's worth of old-school adventure game entertainment, particularly notable for the soundtrack.

It also strikes me as an excellent case study of genre-specific economic issues. An enormous amount of polish went into this - art design, animations, music, sound, and so on, and the $20 standard price is completely in line with that. But all that adds up to an evening's worth of play (and set of quality mp3s), while a basic side-scroller or Snoodish sort of thing gets more play time for less effort.

08-09-2010 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
icon Re: Machinarium (+1)  
Dischorran wrote:
It's a very nice evening's worth of old-school adventure game entertainment, particularly notable for the soundtrack.
Yeah, the soundtrack is awesome. I'd forgotten to mention again that it's included when you purchase the game directly from the developers (as is the case with this current offer, of course), and only when you purchase the game directly from the developers. So those who'd bought the game through, say, Steam, might be interested in picking up the soundtrack for their five bucks; it's definitely worth it.
08-09-2010 at 07:43 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Machinarium (+2)  
I bought the Mega-Love bundle here
http://jayisgames.com/archives/2010/09/the_indie_love_bundles.php

but already have Machinarium so will give it away to whoever PM's me first (ideally someone without the funds).

[EDIT]

Offer has been accepted

[Last edited by Syntax at 09-18-2010 05:25 PM]
09-18-2010 at 05:14 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I got the game from Syntax, and I must say it was really good. Had a very childish feel to it in a good way :)
09-22-2010 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Machinarium
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com