Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor 2 (We have a winner! Read the final vote!)
<<20212223
Page 24 of 26
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (0)  
Oh yeah... TripleM was second, not third.
05-13-2009 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
Oops. Corrected. Thank you.

05-13-2009 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Okay, I'm reinstating the deadline. You have another 48 hours to get your votes in.

05-13-2009 at 05:44 PM
RoboBob3000
Tribal Council #11

This is the last Tribal Council in which the remaining players will have any direct control over the game. After this vote, the power shifts over to jury, who will decide which player will become the Sole Survivor.

Dex Stewart is immune from this vote and has already earned a berth in the finals. Two more will join him. Let's find out who it will be.

First vote...
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-13-2009 11:26 PM]
05-13-2009 at 10:49 PM
Dex Stewart

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 05-13-2009 11:58 PM]
05-13-2009 at 11:34 PM
RoboBob3000

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-13-2009 11:59 PM]
05-13-2009 at 11:59 PM
RoboBob3000
Tribal Council #11 Revote

The revotes are in. Did Dex and noma come to a decision?

First vote...

05-14-2009 at 01:37 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594

05-14-2009 at 01:59 AM
RoboBob3000
noma wrote:

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-14-2009 09:37 AM]
05-14-2009 at 09:34 AM
Dex Stewart
RoboBob3000 wrote:

05-14-2009 at 09:55 AM
RoboBob3000
Dex Stewart wrote:

05-14-2009 at 06:03 PM
RoboBob3000
Final Tribal Council: Opening

Okay, it's time! I'd like to welcome everybody to our final Tribal Council! We have narrowed it down to three finalists:

Dex Stewart
noma
TripleM

One of these three players will be the winner of DROD Survivor 2. The winner will be decided by the seven members of our jury.

Someone Else
Dischorran
VIPCOOL
12th Archivist
larrymurk
Maurog
kie

Here's how this Tribal Council will work. This will be a discussion that takes place entirely in the thread. The finalists will each present an opening statement in which they plead their case for victory to the jurors. Once all opening statements are presented, we will hold a free-form discussion between the jurors and the finalists. This is the jurors' opportunity to ask whatever questions they like that might help inform their or others' final votes. Once the discussion has died down, I'll open the floor for closing statements from the finalists.

After the closing arguments are presented, I will open the door for voting. I will not accept votes prior to this, no matter how certain you think you are in how you are going to vote. This is not an ordinary vote. The jurors will each cast a vote for the player they think should win.

I ask that this discussion be limited to jurors and finalists alone. The other players and audience can have their say after the final votes are read.

That's that: Let's get to the opening statements!

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-15-2009 04:06 AM]
05-15-2009 at 04:05 AM
noma
Well, it's been almost four months and the end is in sight. So I'll keep this short. Let me start by thanking RoboBob3000 for running the game; it's been a lot of fun for us and I'm sure a lot of work for him.

I don't really know what else to say, except that staying involved, creating alliances and, of course, having some good luck got me this far. From here on out it's in your hands. So take it away...
05-15-2009 at 05:03 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (+1)  
Well, let me start by agreeing with noma - RoboBob has done a fantastic job. I don't know how he could possibly have beared not being able to participate himself, as I'm sure he would have loved to have been a competitor. But it's made for a fantastic few months; this has been the best forum game I've been in and I've refreshed the "view posts from last 24 hours" page far too many times waiting for that exciting 'DROD Survivor' link to come up..

So now we are down to three, and I'm meant to convince you to vote for me. Well, I'm afraid that isn't going to be too easy.

From my point of view, there are two things to look for here. First is the level of participation and skill in the challenges; and second in the level of participation and skill in voting/alliances.

I would hope that I would be in with a shot via the challenge side of things. I've been fully involved in every challenge, both on our private Tar Technician forums in the first half, and in the thread itself, what with generating visualisations for challenge 1, high scoring on challenge 2, and being in control of organising Tar's bets in round 3. I also won challenge 6 and was competitive in all of the other challenges.

However, in spite of that, despite that fact that I really want to win, you shouldn't be voting for me. When I played the original DROD Survivor which died about halfway through, I wasn't aware of any alliances at all; I just participated in the challenge, and then voted for the worst performer. As soon as this one started, noma was sending PMs all over the place setting up alliances, making sure we had enough other people who *thought* they were in our alliance but really weren't..

After we voted Dischorran off I suddenly realised that, unlike in real survivor where strong players are kept so they can provide food and win reward challenges, performing well in challenges would just make everyone target you. I realised that I was more interested in not missing a challenge than actually winning, and noma felt the same way, and if we had thought about this sooner Dischorran probably would have been kept around as one of the more involved players.

Anyway, I can honestly say that the only reason I am still here is thanks to the way noma has been completely on top of the alliance side of things from literally minutes into the game, and this has made the game far far more interesting and enjoyable than it would have otherwise. Every vote we discussed ways of making sure we wouldn't be voted off next, and I wish you could see all of the ideas that were floated around.

So, if you do just want to go by challenges, I hope you will vote for me, but I think noma is a far more deserving winner.
05-15-2009 at 05:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Do I even need to repeat what both TripleM and noma said? RoboBob managed to organise yet another excellent game (after The Circle, and the first Survivor) and it was tremendously fun. Big kudos for that.

I don't really have anything to say, to be honest. Just like TripleM, even though I definitely want to win, I believe noma deserved it. She has been a superiour player to me in many ways. The only thing I can think of where I was "better" than her was the fact that I never back-stabbed an ally, whereas I am under the impression that she did - multiple times even. But except for that, she played an excellent game, was an outstanding diplomat and simply deserves to win.

I've nothing else to say.

05-15-2009 at 09:45 PM
RoboBob3000
Thanks, guys. We will now open up for free discussion. Jury members, feel free to ask/say anything you want. Nothing is off limits.

05-15-2009 at 10:35 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
The tribal council when I got voted out, Maurog said he'd stir things up and vote against noma creating a possible tie if dex and I did the same. Sure enough noma and I tied. Then I lost on the revote. I'm wondering why dex (i assume) changed his vote.
05-15-2009 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Ah, so it is finally revealed.. we got it right, it was Maurog :) After quite a large number of exchanged messages trying to figure out whether it was kie or Maurog who switched, we PMed Dex telling him that in exchange for him switching votes, we would vote off (who we thought switched) the next vote instead, and that if Dex didn't switch and noma came through on the tiebreaker, Dex would be the first one off.

noma hinted to Dex that we suspected kie as an added incentive - Dex would then think if he agreed to switch, we'd vote off kie and we'd be back to a 2-2 situation.

I'd like to see what Dex has to say on the issue however, as he was pretty much responsible for you and Maurog getting voted off :)

[Last edited by TripleM at 05-15-2009 11:48 PM]
05-15-2009 at 11:34 PM
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
Interesting strategy, noma. By having false alliances with all the ex tar techs, you have backstabbed almost the entire jury.
I said I wouldn't vote for you, and I intend to keep that promise. O:-

05-16-2009 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Alright, I doubt that anyone who made it to the final round did so without a certain amount of behind-the-scenes maneuvering, to put it charitably. It's only part of playing the game well when it works in my favor.

TripleM, your last couple posts strike me as disingenuous at best, so I'm pretty sure that you were more active in the alliance than you describe. That notwithstanding, Noma, his description of your role in this process does square with my suspicions, which means that you decided early on to form an alliance with a top priority of voting me out. Dex Stewart, somehow you got in on this, which suggests that there is probably an unsavory backstory to your survival as well.

Instead of voting for the most deserving of the three of you, I seem to be reduced to voting for the least objectionable. Perhaps you can allay my concerns in this regard. Creative (and plausible) inducements for me to overlook your transgressions may also be considered.

05-16-2009 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Oh, I never meant to give the impression I wasn't involved in the alliance. You'll note I said 'we' basically everywhere in those posts involving PMs and things; all the decisions were pretty 50/50 between noma and I. I just would never have thought of alliances at all had I not been introduced to them from the very start of the game, and would have played blindly like in the last survivor. This way was much more fun :)
05-16-2009 at 02:20 AM
TripleM
As for allaying your concerns.. I'm not really sure what I can say. We weren't targeting you (or anyone in particular) at the start like you suggested. At the time we voted you off, we had a 1 person majority. We logically voted for you as you were the strongest competitor. Then I suddenly realised that with a 2 person majority, the rest of Tar could just as easily decide to get rid of me, and I realised right then it had been a mistake to get rid of you.

All I can hope is these quotes, which I obviously could have faked, but I didn't, will show we were both truly sorry to have voted you off.

[Last edited by TripleM at 05-16-2009 02:44 AM]
05-16-2009 at 02:42 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Let's put it that way, I'm not voting for noma because she started the entire alliances and backstabbing thing, which I went along with but really ticked me off when we just plucked the former Mud guys one by one. That's why I created the tie, to give larrymurk and Dex a minimal fighting chance.

TripleM is guilty of the same, but he was more a follower, not the mastermind. Ironically, of all the members of the Axis of Evil, I'd rather vote for kie, had they not voted her off.

Anyway, Dex didn't save larrymurk when he could, as I had hoped he would. That was extremely foolish, in my opinion. His only chance was everyone turning on me in the following round, and winning the immunity in the next. Just because it happened, doesn't mean it was a wise path to take, the odds were quite horrible.

So here you go, there are no worthy candidates. I'm 100% not voting for noma, and I'm leaning more towards Dex who made it into the finals against all odds, than TripleM who just followed noma in every decision.

05-16-2009 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Part of the reason why I voted for larrymurk in the end was the fact that when I had received the PM from Maurog of the possibility of a ties, I had actually already voted, and I had voted for larrymurk (I don't know whether RoboBob is willing to confirm this). The mystery of further tie-breakers scared me (and, it seems, it was justified, considering the latest information we got from RoboBob) and I was also feeling a bit dirty inside because I had gotten involved into politics. So I went back to my initial vote, that I had cast in full belief that larrymurk was the one most deserving to be kicked out next (well, except for me, but I've redeemed myself a bit since then).

Dischorran, the only way I got into this was noma giving me the slight push necessary for me to break the two ties (as I was almost willing to do myself anyway). Since she was also quite diplomatic to me, an unwritten sort of "mutual friendliness pact" ensued, but I never coordinated votes with her, and I was very wary of her, considering her apparent willingness to backstab (in fact, in a PM to me, noma said "You had to go and win immunity and totally mess up our plan for final three." That may have been just a joke, but it seems to me more like "Yeah, we wanted to vote for you but we couldn't, I'm just telling you this now because it can't influence the game any more.").

Also, when I changed my vote back to larrymurk, I didn't regard it as *so* obvious that Maurog was the next to go. I was planning on voting for kie.

One more thing I should say is that I wasn't completely honest for the enirety of the game. I initially didn't tell anyone who ti was that approached me with the possibility of a tie, when we were six people left, but eventually I told noma (and only noma) that kie had done it, which was not the case. Considering what he had done, I definitely regarded Maurog as more worthy to remain in the game and that was a last ditch effort to save him after it had, in fact, become obvious that he was in danger.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 05-16-2009 01:44 PM]
05-16-2009 at 10:42 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I agree that we should vote for Dex Stewart because other mud members tried to give him a fighting chance in the end of not being voted off. Noma seemed to have backstabbed everyone, and TripleM was just a follower.

That said, I'm not voting for noma, but TripleM and Dex Stewart have also done wrong. Like what Maroug said, there is no ideal candidate.

EDIT: Wait, I contradicted myself. Just keep thinking that there is no ideal candidate.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 05-16-2009 05:40 PM]
05-16-2009 at 05:17 PM
noma
And the fun continues. Yes I admit it. I am the mastermind behind the axis of evil. :rolleyes Truth? I was just trying to have some fun while staying in the game. I originally set up the alliance of five so that I would have a half decent chance at not being randomly voted out early in the game and maybe having a better chance at hanging in after the merge. And my strategy was proved correct : the game should have totally changed at the merge seeing as my alliance had two non/self-votes(mxvladi and Maurog). If the former Mud members been just a bit organized we would now have a totally different final three. But there you go.

(secreted for length : I wanted to try and respond to everyone, though that makes this post a candidate for "tl;dr".)

That's all I've got to say, except... thanks for "listening"!
05-16-2009 at 06:35 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I don't know what you told Dex, but he should have kept the first tie going. Honestly, his chances without larry were close to none. Whether or not you were joking in that message, we all know what would happen if he didn't have the immunity...

05-16-2009 at 07:09 PM
RoboBob3000
It's been over 24 hours since the last post in this thread. Even though we haven't yet heard from Someone Else, I'm ready to say that this discussion has ended.

Before we get to the votes, let's hear a closing argument from each of the three finalists. Once each of them have posted, I'll begin accepting your votes. I'll say it again: You will be voting for the player that you want to win.

05-17-2009 at 08:49 PM
noma
Poker. Bridge. Bullsh*t. Monopoly. Liar. Risk. Balderdash. Diplomacy. These are just some of the games where bluffing, lying, forming and breaking alliances, and/or psyching out your opponents are used as winning strategies. When the game is over, nobody holds your strategies against you. This game should be no different. And if RoboBob3000 or anyone else runs another Survivor, I think it's important that future players know that the psychological aspect added a fascinating dimension to the game that made it even more fun to play. At least, that's how it was for me. In fact, if no one objected, I think the PMs that went flying about would make interesting reading if they were organized into a single document, perhaps annotated to explain what was going on and what the writer was trying to accomplish.

I'll say it again : I really enjoyed playing this game. Even when, or perhaps I should say, especially when I felt uncertain of what was really happening, or when I had to agonize over a decision. Truly I'm just glad I made it to the end ; I never looked for more than that. While I believe I played all aspects of this game well, if I am honest -- perhaps for once in this game? ;) -- I have to say that TripleM played them better and has earned your votes.

Finally, let me commend RoboBob3000 on his excellent timing. I don't know if it was serendipitous or calculated, but the synchronization of our "finale" to the finale of the latest official Survivor is kind of cute.

[Last edited by noma at 05-17-2009 11:23 PM : grammar]
05-17-2009 at 11:18 PM
TripleM
Survivor is a game about alliances. RoboBob said it in the very first post. Without being able to form and break alliances, you have no hope in this game.

Let me quickly look at the jury's thoughts..

larrymurk may be unhappy with Dex breaking the tie and knocking him out.
kie said she won't vote for noma for voting her out.
Dischorran seems to be unhappy with the fact that there were alliances at all.
Maurog, VIPCOOL, and 12th Archivist's reason for voting for Dex is.. that he was the only one to get into the final by luck, rather than alliance strategy. (I'm not saying Dex was just plain lucky to get here; he deserved his spot in the final - but that is the impression I'm getting from them. Voting for him solely because he didn't seem to have a plan to make it this far? That seems a little strange to me.).

I ask that you ignore personal vendettas. I ask that you don't treat anyone involved in an alliance as someone not worth voting for.

I ask that you vote for who you think *deserves* to win from a neutral point of view. That may be me. That may be noma. That may be Dex. But when people look back at this game after it is complete, will they think the result is well deserved? I hope so.

[Last edited by TripleM at 05-17-2009 11:45 PM]
05-17-2009 at 11:44 PM
<<20212223
Page 24 of 26
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor 2 (We have a winner! Read the final vote!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com