Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : First Shot (At a hold...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged

File: First shot.drh (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 155 times.
License: Public Domain
icon First Shot (0)  
First quest. It should rock your socks off!

That or I hate writing things to say. But anyway, you are stoked for this quest.

[Edit- didn't know that people are now calling these quests]

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 09-27-2008 06:20 PM]
09-27-2008 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: First Shot (0)  
Very nice half-holdquestwhatever. I ended up with 54HP, 34ATK, 33DEF, and a couple of yellow keys for a score of 290.

There are some nice puzzle rooms in this hold, and while the choices are maybe a little easier than I'd like, it's still a decent amount of effort to find the clear next step. There were spare items that I didn't use: I was able to keep the grappling hook from 3S, and I only ever wall-walked once. It's possible to collect both sides of 2N1W, so I had a spare briar hacker. Also, are you going to put something behind those breakable walls by the exit?

09-27-2008 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: First Shot (+1)  
I've played through this hold. I love that you made the map show everything inside the rooms as well as their locations. This eliminated the guessing games that I don't like in some RPG holds.

I forgot to save before walking into the final room and exiting, so I can't review what exactly was the score that flashed on my screen before the end of the hold. I seem to recall 528? I think the difference between my score and Dischorran's score is that I went back and picked up the long sword again before stepping on the scorepoint. Maybe you could make the scorepoint also an autosave point, so silly Rabbits like me could review their scores.

In 3S, I opened the red door so that I could have both wall-walking and the grappling hook available. Since there's another wall-walking, I used the first one to jump over the briar in the Entrance to get that briar hacker and the powerups there.

I didn't need the briar hacker from 2N1W, but I did take both health potions and the bomb, which I used on one of the two final goblins. 2N1W can be entered multiple times if you drop the first trapdoor and then enter and exit using the grappling hook.

Here's what was left in the hold when I finished:
Entrance - a tar baby and some tar
1E - the goblin and two power-ups
1S - three soulless (why are they here?), the swordsman, the goblin, the health potion, yellow key, and two power-ups
1S1W - the goblin, health potion, two yellow keys, and two power-ups
1S4W - two mud babies, three goblins, a a mad eye, a green key, a yellow key, and one power-up
1N1W - some mud babies (I didn't kill any when cutting the mud)
09-29-2008 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
It involves having mirrors on both plates...

I wish that man would stay away
11-13-2008 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ever heard about the Grappling Hook? :) I remember my best solution involved the Grappling Hook.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-13-2008 10:01 AM]
11-13-2008 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I don't, of course, but I remember fooling around quite a bit with this level about a month ago.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-13-2008 10:17 AM]
11-13-2008 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Nuntar wrote:
That makes no sense :( Firstly, if I put the mirror on the left plate first I get hit while doing it, but if I put the mirror on the right plate first I can get the left potion and bomb, but then putting the other mirror on the left plate releases the right aumtlich onto me.

And secondly, if you put both mirrors on the plates you can't get past them to get the goodies....

If you put a mirror on the left plate (which can be done easily without getting hit), you can walk over the right hand plate without getting hit.

If you put a mirror on the right plate (and get rid of the mirror on the left plate), you can walk over the left hand plate without getting hit.

The beams only hurt you at the *end* of a turn, so you can walk into those guarding a pressure plate fine. The only other trouble you might be having is learning how to *really* use your sword to push mirrors.

11-13-2008 at 10:26 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : First Shot (At a hold...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com