Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Smaller window
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
IP: Logged
icon Smaller window (+2)  
One of the main things that I missed when moving from AE to JtRH was the ability to run DROD in a window that didn't take up my 1024x768 LCD; having to alt-tab out of the full-screen drod to do something else is less convenient. Now we have a version of DROD that has a smaller play area, and it might be nice to have the option of reducing the window size rather than increasing the tile size.

I have no clue how easy this would be to implement; I'm guessing "not very", in which case there are probably much better things to spend Caravel's time on, but one never knows.

09-15-2008 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Smaller window (0)  
Not to mention that those newfangled netbooks like my EEE PC have even lower resolutions; in my case that would be 1024x600, and the scaling option offered by the graphics driver is 1) ugly, II) disregards any and all aspect ratio and c) doesn't work with DROD in fullscreen (?!?).

Wouldn't it be possible to make the engine scale the screen down to 3/4ths of 1024x768 (since such "clean" ratios usually look better than arbitrary scale factors) and maybe do the gamma correction internally (since setting the video card's gamma makes the remaining windows glow like christmas ornaments)?

That's just my usual braindump...

09-15-2008 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Liquen
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Smaller window (0)  
Dischorran wrote:
One of the main things that I missed when moving from AE to JtRH was the ability to run DROD in a window that didn't take up my 1024x768 LCD; having to alt-tab out of the full-screen drod to do something else is less convenient. Now we have a version of DROD that has a smaller play area, and it might be nice to have the option of reducing the window size rather than increasing the tile size.

I have no clue how easy this would be to implement; I'm guessing "not very", in which case there are probably much better things to spend Caravel's time on, but one never knows.
Yup, a window height of 768 pixels is too much for my system too.

If you are running Linux with Compiz, there is a quick-and-dirty workaround. You can reduce the window size by using a Compiz plugin called "Shelf". Just enable it in CompizConfig Settings Manager and scale the window with the mouse shortcuts specified by "Make the window smaller" and "Make the window bigger", for example. There is an annoyance, though: mouse doesn't work properly when the window is reduced... Otherwise it works good.

Let me know if someone has a better (Compiz) solution.
12-15-2008 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Smaller window
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No