Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Audition: New Voice of Beethro
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Audition: New Voice of Beethro (0)  
When TCB was completed, Erik and I learned that we won't be able to get Sten Ryason back to help with recording the voice of Beethro in future games. That was a sad day, nevertheless it's not a serious problem: Beethro doesn't have to have the same voice in all games in the DROD franchise, just like James Bond and Batman have been played by many different actors.

Caravel is ready to start recording lines for the next Smitemaster's Selection, to be released soon after, and that means it's time to find a new voice for Beethro. I've heard forumites do good Beethro impersonations, so I'm opening up the audition to you on the Caravel Forum! Think of the prestige! Think of the glory!

What You Need

You don't need much to nab this glamorous role besides:
* having been a member of the forum for at least 3-4 months (we'd like to pick someone who would be willing to stick around to keep recording for Beethro in future game titles, like "The Second Sky")
* a decent quality mic
* a voice
More on these below...

What You Get

If you are chosen for the part, you'll need to record a few pages of lines for this SmS, and sign an agreement giving Caravel Games ownership of your recordings. So that's maybe an hour of work for you. In return, we'll add you to the credits for the upcoming SmS and send you a free CD when it's released. If you already have Smitemaster credits to your name, we'll send you a CD, plus find something else to send you from the Prize Pile. Also, you will be first in line to voice Beethro in future game titles, and we would contact you as new projects come up.

Recording Tips

The quality of your recording is just as important to me as your acting talent and voice. If the audition recording sounds bad, we can't use you, unfortunately. So here are some tips for getting a good recording to us.

* Experiment with different microphones if you've got them. I'm not going to suggest anyone go out and buy a microphone for this tiny little project. But if you are inclined towards future recording projects (not just with us) then even a relatively cheap $30 microphone can help sound quality a lot.

* Reduce noise as much as you can. Turn off fans, printers, and other noise-making devices in the room. Put a thick blanket, like a sleeping bag, over your computer. If you've got a laptop, then you can possibly walk into a low-noise room like a closet or bathroom and try recording there.

* Find the best distance between your mouth and the microphone. Too far away and your quiet voice will need to be amplified with software, which increases the noise level. Too close and your recording will sound distorted from clipping, which occurs when the volume of your voice exceeds what the microphone was designed to capture.

* Watch P's ("purple poppies") and S's ("suffering sucotash") since these tend to produce artifacts from the extra wind you are blowing into the microphone. Being slightly to the right or left of the microphone helps avoid artifacts. Also, a lot of mics have windscreens, which are usually just a foamy ball that covers the microphone head. In a pinch, you can place a sheet of paper between your mouth and the mic.

* Don't add any special effects or filters to the recording, including noise reduction. We prefer to do all that stuff ourselves and just want your raw voice.

* Use mono (not stereo), 44.1khz, 16bit lossless recording settings. For posting attachments for this audition, you may save your audio in MP3 or OGG format instead of WAV in order to keep attachments small, as long as you understand we will need lossless audio for actual game lines.

* You don't have to worry about editing your recordings (i.e. you don't have to record one line per file, chop up your lines into separate files, or anything tricky). Just record one file with all the lines you're going to speak. We'll be taking care of all the dirty work for you when we put you into the game, so you don't have to sweat over stuff like that.

Audition Lines

To audition, simply post some recordings of your voice as Beethro here. Choose some of your favorite Beethro lines from previous DROD games, or something similar that might sound like Beethro said it (be creative, and enjoy yourself!) as a sample. You may try to imitate Sten's voice as Beethro, or the Webfoot Beethro (remember that funky scream?), or voice Beethro in the way you have always envisioned him, like Larry Murk did in Odd Jobs.

Please, don't ask me how I want lines to be recorded. Just try it one or more ways that you like. In your recordings, try at least one natural-sounding voice along with other variants or weird ones, so I can get an idea what your unfunky voice sounds like. Also, I'll mention there are many more parts up for grabs than just Beethro. I might like a voice you use for a different part.

Participation/Time Limit

This isn't a contest, but people may comment on the voices posted here and give feedback. However, final decision on who gets selected for what parts is up to Caravel.

There's no set time limit for this, but we hope you can post here over the next week or so. You may post audition audio here at any time until I announce we've chosen someone for the part.

Have fun, and I hope to hear you soon!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-28-2008 06:01 PM]
05-28-2008 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 229
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (0)  
And age limit is?

05-28-2008 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Vike91 wrote:
And age limit is?
In general, there's no insurmountable obstacle involved with recruiting anyone underage, so there's no limit (for other roles, for instance, we got people to play Halph in KDD2 and JtRH who were 10 and 11, with their parents' consent, of course). Here, if you can sound like a convincing Beethro, I don't think this is an issue.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-28-2008 06:07 PM]
05-28-2008 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Probably 16, but if you can mimic an adult voice (or you do have an adult voice) they might accept you, since they did say that the voice was an adult.

EDIT: Post Collision!

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 05-28-2008 06:05 PM]
05-28-2008 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
mrimer wrote:
Vike91 wrote:
And age limit is?
In general, there's no insurmountable obstacle involved with recruiting anyone underage. Practically, if you can sound like a convincing Beethro, I don't think this is an issue.
Of course, if you're so young that your voice will be changing due to puberty, it doesn't bode well for voice continuity...

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-28-2008 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Oneiromancer wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Vike91 wrote:
And age limit is?
In general, there's no insurmountable obstacle involved with recruiting anyone underage. Practically, if you can sound like a convincing Beethro, I don't think this is an issue.
Of course, if you're so young that your voice will be changing due to puberty, it doesn't bode well for voice continuity...
Heh heh. In a practical sense, if a pre-teen sounds like Beethro already, I wonder what they'll sound like after :P

05-28-2008 at 06:08 PM
Mr. Slice
mrimer wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Vike91 wrote:
And age limit is?
Heh heh. In a practical sense, if a pre-teen sounds like Beethro already, I wonder what they'll sound like after :P
James Earl Jones, which I sound like already. :P
Click here to view the secret text

Click here to view the secret text

05-28-2008 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
:w00t :thumbsup

. . . but I suspect this is one part for which a female voice will not do. :( :thumbsdown

oh well.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 05-28-2008 06:25 PM]
05-28-2008 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Elfstone wrote:
:w00t :thumbsup

. . . but I suspect this is one part for which a female voice will not do. :( :thumbsdown

oh well.

Does this mean someone needs to start campaigning to get a female counterpart to Beethro into the series? ;)

Now that I think about it, I don't think there's *any* female characters running around smiting things so far...

05-28-2008 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
There were female smiters at Smitemaster's Hall.

05-28-2008 at 06:58 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Mr. Slice wrote:

But are they playable character roles? Have any been given a chance to truly shine in any holds yet?

Maybe Beethro needs a girlfriend to go delving with him.

05-28-2008 at 07:13 PM
Mr. Slice
Would you like to be his girlfriend? (Just saying this to the female forum-goers)

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 05-28-2008 07:25 PM]
05-28-2008 at 07:24 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Hikari wrote:
Ah, well now, you're not the first to have that idea . . . . .

;) ;) ;) O:-

05-28-2008 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Man, I really need to find my Microphone. Then again with all the painkillers my body is hopped up on now might not be the best time to audition. :lol
05-28-2008 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Don't forget that as well as auditioning to be Beethro, you can also audition for voice roles in the upcoming Smitemaster's Selections, here

05-28-2008 at 10:16 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (+1)  
...I hope it doesn't sound too different. That would be wrong.

I'm not sure Beethro would be much good with the ladies. He obviously has poor dental hygiene, his business venture didn't do too well, and he's got this insanely high risk of mortality. That last might not be such a problem to a girl who shares such risk, but...
...and if I see /one/ fanfic about 84th Negotiator I will be upset.

05-29-2008 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Jatopian wrote:
...and if I see /one/ fanfic about 84th Negotiator I will be upset.

Lol, I was thinking about her with a really big sword, but I decided to not mention it. :yes

05-29-2008 at 02:21 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
* a voice

A www... So is what you are saying is that Steven Hawking can't try out?

I wish that man would stay away
05-29-2008 at 05:38 AM
Mr. Slice
The spitemaster wrote:
* a voice

A www... So is what you are saying is that Steven Hawking can't try out?
Do you want to have a synthesized Beethro? ;)

05-29-2008 at 07:01 AM
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Maybe I'll give this a shot later, when my pile of "things to do" shrinks.

05-29-2008 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
One word: Odd Jobs!

Wait... that was two words. But it is a good idea :D :P

05-29-2008 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Hikari wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:

But are they playable character roles? Have any been given a chance to truly shine in any holds yet?

Or Vonifa Budkin adventures? 'Tho she doesn't seem the type.

BbJ

05-30-2008 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
bflatjeff wrote:
Hikari wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:

Or Vonifa Budkin adventures? 'Tho she doesn't seem the type.

BbJ

Hmm, a whole hold based on soundly beating Beethro with a frying pan, while cursing him as a bad influence?

06-01-2008 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Now that could turn out to be quite an interesting hold.
06-01-2008 at 06:04 AM
mrimer
Heh, that reminds me of the beginning of "Dragon's Lair 2" where Dirk the Daring's mother-in-law is trying to brain him for letting her daughter get kidnapped again. Good times. :)

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-02-2008 06:07 AM]
06-02-2008 at 06:07 AM
mrimer
Update: No one has auditioned for Beethro yet, so just wanted to bump this to let everyone know this spot is still open.

06-03-2008 at 05:30 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933

File: calamarain-beethro1.ogg (190 KB)
Downloaded 95 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (+2)  
I thought I might give it a shot. Here's a quick audition for the part of Beethro.

06-03-2008 at 10:38 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211

File: Beethro.ogg (208.8 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Public Domain
I'm quite in a hurry right now, we're going to visit some relatives in mid-southern Sweden for four days, and we're leaving in an hour.

Here's a quick sample of my Beethro voice, (I finally managed to find a good, and free recording program). If you think it's any good, I might be able to improve it a bit when I get back from the trip. :)

06-05-2008 at 01:58 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... These Beethro's sounds so... sophisticated :P I don't know, but I've never pictured Beethro with a "nice" english accent.
06-09-2008 at 02:28 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mmmm, Beethro was originally aimed at a terminator voice, not the genteel voice. And sten's voice featured a strong American accent. So basically, if you have a deep voice, or think that Beethro doesn't have an accent (before you go and check it after reading this of course), you should try for this part.

Because I envy you guys. I want this part, if only I could maintain such a voice...
06-09-2008 at 03:09 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Audition: New Voice of Beethro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com