Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : TCB Trailer (Recruiting for Video Capture and Editing (done))
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5059
IP: Logged
icon TCB Trailer (+4)  
TRAILER LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdRFu90hTs

Now that TCB is being "officially" released, I'd like to put together a video trailer we can use for showcasing the game (e.g. post on youtube, link to from our site, etc). I already have a story board written up with a timed script, choreographed background music, game pics and pre-recorded demo scenes to show.

There are two tasks left that I need help with.

1) We need someone to do some video capture. There are about 20 short game scenes I've marked that need to be captured spanning one minute and 15s or so. If you have software and experience with doing video capture, please let me know and we can get right to work! [Edit: Captures completed by slimm tom -- thanks! You may choose your prize at any time.]

2) Editing the captured video. This would involve splicing the scenes from part 1 together, adding some fades, panning, zoom-in, cropping portions the game display, superimposing text that fades in and out on top of the video, and dubbing the music track on top of all that. If you have the software and experience with video editing, you can help with this step.

Those who help on either task to produce material we end up including in the trailer receive a free DROD game on CD or a prize from the prize pile for their efforts (your choice). If someone is willing to do both of these tasks, the work would probably go more smoothly since you'd be in charge of it all and you get double prizes. Also, this would be a great way to help contribute to the future promotion of DROD and TCB.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-12-2008 08:15 PM]
05-09-2008 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Recruiting for a short project (+1)  
Sent you a PM.
05-09-2008 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Recruiting for a short project (0)  
Not sure if it helps, but do you want any of my artwork? It would all be done in the style of the pic I did for "Top Drawer"? Free of charge :P No CD required.

05-09-2008 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
calamarain wrote:
Not sure if it helps, but do you want any of my artwork? It would all be done in the style of the pic I did for "Top Drawer"? Free of charge :P No CD required.
Thanks for the kind offer. No, I don't want to include any art not actually part of the game in a game trailer. Otherwise, I'm sure we'd have some new players who get confused about where those graphics exist in the game. I want Caravel to keep its "street cred" (not that you're suggesting otherwise, of course).

05-09-2008 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
mrimer wrote:
Thanks for the kind offer. No, I don't want to include any art not actually part of the game in a game trailer.
No, I know precisely what you mean. Computer game adverts always used to irritate me with that kind of thing - implying that the cutscene/FMV graphics were what the whole thing consisted of. Can't help any further then, no skill with motion capture :)

EDIT ...actually, an idea just occurred. Could I get permission from Caravel to use the TCB graphics for the purposes of making 'linker' images? You know, the sort of ones where if people want to link to TCB from their site, they can use one of these graphics, about 80x20 pixel size or slightly bigger.

[Last edited by calamarain at 05-09-2008 06:28 PM]
05-09-2008 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Well, I have a little experience of editing films. But my skills are pretty standard and I don't really know how to do more advanced editing. I have edited about 6-7 small films (about 3 min each) as schoolworks and simple playing around with the camera. But I'm not sure I fit for this position.

PS. I'm using Pinnacle Studio Plus Version 11 for editing and yes I aquired it legally.

PSPS. Pinnacle Studio Plus is a editing program designed for editing homevideos and such. The program has several effects that can be applied to the film. I don't really know if it can make animations of any kind, but it handles greenscreen and chromakey.

[Last edited by Pneh at 05-09-2008 07:00 PM]
05-09-2008 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I've got a copy of Camtasia Studio which does screen and audio recording. It's not exactly designed for games and it does drop video frames if I hold in movement keys, but paced more slowly it would cope.

As for experience with either recording or editing... nope. :) But if nobody else has stuff to do the recording with, I'm happy to give it a shot and see how it comes out.
05-09-2008 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Pneh wrote:
Well, I have a little experience of editing films. But my skills are pretty standard and I don't really know how to do more advanced editing. I have edited about 6-7 small films (about 3 min each) as schoolworks and simple playing around with the camera. But I'm not sure I fit for this position.

PS. I'm using Pinnacle Studio Plus Version 11 for editing and yes I aquired it legally.
Thanks, Tuttle and Pneh, for your offers to help with video recording and editing. Pneh, do you know how to perform editing operations like what I mentioned above? I don't want people to have to spend a lot of time wrestling with software to get it to do what they want if they've never tried these things before. I'd rather this be a fun project for you when you already know what you're doing, rather than frustrating.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-09-2008 07:00 PM]
05-09-2008 at 06:53 PM
Pneh
Well, I'm not sure if I'm able to do fades, panning, zoom-in, cropping portions the game display, superimposing text that fades in and out on top of the video. I'm not that familiar to Pinnacle yet.

But I'll read as much of the manual as possible tonight, and we'll see if I can find anything useful.

PS. I will be out of touch tomorrow. I will be riding rollercoasters in Gothenburg with my classmates.

[Last edited by Pneh at 05-09-2008 09:07 PM]
05-09-2008 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pneh
Ok, I've read the manual a little and I found how to do pan-and-zoom animations, superimposing, keyframing, chromakey and som other stuff. I havn't tested it yet but it seems like I perhaps fit in this project afterall. I'll read more of the manual on the bus to Gothenburg wich leaves in 1 hour. :cool

05-10-2008 at 05:42 AM
mrimer
Pneh wrote:
Ok, I've read the manual a little and I found how to do pan-and-zoom animations, superimposing, keyframing, chromakey and som other stuff. I havn't tested it yet but it seems like I perhaps fit in this project afterall. I'll read more of the manual on the bus to Gothenburg wich leaves in 1 hour. :cool
That's great! Slimm Tom has recorded video (and fast!) and I've PMed you to help with editing.

05-10-2008 at 08:52 PM
slimm tom
icon Re: Recruiting for a short project (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
1) We need someone to do some video capture. There are about 20 short game scenes I've marked that need to be captured spanning one minute and 15s or so. If you have software and experience with doing video capture, please let me know and we can get right to work! [Edit: Captures completed by slimm tom -- thanks! You may choose your prize at any time.]

I took the opportunity to get myself a JTRH CD. I'll play it right away after my broken download link is fixed. Thanks again, Mike! :)

[Last edited by slimm tom at 05-11-2008 06:25 PM]
05-11-2008 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Recruiting for a short project -- done! (+2)  
Woo! I've completed editing the trailer and have published my first video on YouTube. You may watch the TCB trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdRFu90hTs

If you want to embed a link to the video on your site, use this html:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rdRFu90hTs"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rdRFu90hTs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

We'll put one of these on the CaravelGames TCB page sometime soon. [edit: It's there now.]

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-12-2008 06:42 PM]
05-12-2008 at 04:17 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Recruiting for a short project -- done! (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Woo! I've completed editing the trailer and have published my first video on YouTube. You may watch the TCB trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdRFu90hTs

If you want to embed a link to the video on your site, use this html:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rdRFu90hTs"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rdRFu90hTs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

We'll put one of these on the CaravelGames TCB page sometime soon.
Let me be the first to say: Wooah, Great!!! :)

05-12-2008 at 04:29 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
The voice clips were well used. Bravo :thumbsup
05-12-2008 at 04:35 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Very nice :thumbsup
05-12-2008 at 04:37 PM
calamarain
Very nice indeed.

*goes to promote it*

05-12-2008 at 04:48 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Beethro is definitely moribund in some of those clips. Also, it's kind of unfortunate how YouTube's compression makes it look like it uses about a quarter as many bits as it does.

But I think it's pretty good. And I totally just set someone up for the reply "Very well, very well indeed."

...wonder why Rheb's comment is marked as spam?

05-12-2008 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
I must say the finished trailer looks very nice! I didn't actually had an idea what it was going to look like, and I did the recording. Fortunately it looks great! Special thanks to Mike for his great editing!

Jatopian wrote:Beethro is definitely moribund in some of those clips. Also, it's kind of unfortunate how YouTube's compression makes it look like it uses about a quarter as many bits as it does.

Yeah, maybe it's a good idea to also upload the original high-quality file somewhere. (Could be on the Caravel site)

[Last edited by slimm tom at 05-12-2008 05:06 PM]
05-12-2008 at 05:01 PM
mrimer
slimm tom wrote:
I must say the finished trailer looks very nice! I didn't actually had an idea what it was going to look like, and I did the recording. Fortunately it looks great! Special thanks to Pneh for his great editing!
Thanks again for your help, Tom! (Unfortunately, Pneh didn't get to do the editing -- I beat him to it in my impatience. I'm going to give him the prize of his choice anyway, for stepping up and for his time involved in trying to learn and work with his editing utility.)
Yeah, maybe it's a good idea to also upload the original high-quality file somewhere. (Could be on the Caravel site)
I have a x2 size version of the posted video, but I edited all the video segments to be in 320x240 resolution in the first place so I myself could most closely control the look of the final YouTube video. That is, I don't have any final 1024x768 video lurking somewhere. I'll attach the larger video here when I get home tonight.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-12-2008 05:07 PM]
05-12-2008 at 05:04 PM
slimm tom
mrimer wrote:
slimm tom wrote:
I must say the finished trailer looks very nice! I didn't actually had an idea what it was going to look like, and I did the recording. Fortunately it looks great! Special thanks to Pneh for his great editing!
Thanks again for your help, Tom! (Unfortunately, Pneh didn't get to do the editing -- I beat him to it in my impatience. I'm going to give him the prize of his choice anyway, for stepping up and for his time involved in trying to learn and work with his editing utility.)

Okay, thanks for clearing that up!
05-12-2008 at 05:06 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
I have a x2 size version of the posted video, but I edited all the video segments to be in 320x240 resolution in the first place so I myself could most closely control the look of the final YouTube video.
Ummm... so I guess you didn't want to give users with broadband a chance to get a 480x360 version?

np: The Notwist - Shrink (Shrink)

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-12-2008 05:51 PM]
05-12-2008 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pneh
This was a fun project! I learned a lot and got paid for doing nothing!

05-12-2008 at 05:59 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Nice, nice... Reporting this video on some forums to get new players.

05-12-2008 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:
I have a x2 size version of the posted video, but I edited all the video segments to be in 320x240 resolution in the first place so I myself could most closely control the look of the final YouTube video.
Ummm... so I guess you didn't want to give users with broadband a chance to get a 480x360 version?
Oh, I didn't know about that option. I'm new at this. Hmmm...now that I have the 320x240 video up there, do I need to upload a completely new video at 640x480 to make that option available?

05-12-2008 at 06:18 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: TCB Trailer (+1)  
The trailer looks great! I've watched it 5 times now just for fun.

It's interesting that if you go to youtube, the videos it picks in the "Related Videos" are a reasonable selection of other games you might expect DROD players to like.

-Erik

05-12-2008 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
icon Re: TCB Trailer (+1)  
Well, that was quick :) I just posted the TCB trailer in a few IRC channels I'm in... one former player of DROD just took it back up and four others downloaded the TCB demo. Hopefully there'll be some new players as a result.

05-12-2008 at 07:33 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: TCB Trailer (0)  
I swear: it's like seeing a video of one of my dreams after too much DROD(d)ing. :D

My comment: the word "DROD" is seen twice, but there's no reference as to what it stands for, which, IMO, is missing out on some serious *drama* opportunity. Another floaty text screen maybe?

[Last edited by noma at 05-13-2008 01:27 AM]
05-13-2008 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
noma wrote:
I swear: it's like seeing a video of one of my dreams after too much DROD(d)ing. :D

My comment: the word "DROD" is seen twice, but there's no reference as to what it stands for, which, IMO, is missing out on some serious *drama* opportunity. Another floaty text screen maybe?
Nar. Better to make people curious enough to find out for themselves.
05-13-2008 at 03:01 AM
calamarain
mrimer,

There is one thing I would recommend go in there - a link to the game itself. Currently it's a nice trailer, but there's no link in the description to take you to the Caravel website. Something you could just click on to take you here would be good

05-13-2008 at 04:08 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : TCB Trailer (Recruiting for Video Capture and Editing (done))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com