Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Which Hold's Music Did You like? (Which Music Did You Like?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which Music Did You Like?
Architects Edition
King Dugan's Dungeon
Journey To Rooted Hold
The City Beneath
Second Sky
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon Which Hold's Music Did You like? (0)  
Five types of music, except for KDD isn't all the same from JtRH. And SS isn't out yet. So you really have three choices. But choose at least one.

12-17-2007 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Which Hold's Music Did You like? (+1)  
This is rather a tough one. I like AE's music most of all really... but there's one track in TCB that's better than any other track in all of DROD that just gets me every time. So I voted for TCB.

12-17-2007 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: Which Hold's Music Did You like? (0)  
VIPCOOL wrote:
What about webfoot drod music? That is the one I liked the most.

Ditto. They have the best melodies, IMO.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-17-2007 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
This is not the best-designed poll, so I'll say this: TCB > Webfoot > AE > JtRH. I occasionally enjoy listening to the Webfoot and AE soundtracks, so JtRH is the only one I'm kinda "meh" on. Which is a bit odd, as Erik made all of the AE music and most of the JtRH music - one would expect him to improve with time. I'm sure it's a fluke, or that he was going for a different effect with JtRH, and not a slow decline into mediocrity.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 12-17-2007 11:42 PM]
12-17-2007 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
I've gotta vote TCB. It covers TCB and JTRH if you know your MetaKitExtract. ;)
Edit: And if you're that much of a fanatic, you can import AE music into TCB and JTRH too! In fact, you can import any DROD music into other versions of DROD!
(But, if you read that thread, you already know that (no mod downs please!) O:-)

[Last edited by Monkey at 12-21-2007 02:53 AM]
12-21-2007 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
I probably should have hung around longer. I'm not sure if Webfoot is available anymore. I also wonder if I can download it for free. Also! I wonder if I have any mod points. I'll check: 1 mod point.

Sorry Monkey, no down-mods for you!

12-21-2007 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
No, it's not available for free (legally). Yes, you can download the Webfoot and AE music for your own personal listening pleasure on the Caravel site, as linked in my sig for some time.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 12-21-2007 05:08 AM]
12-21-2007 at 05:08 AM
Ziki
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11

File: DOMN CO 03.ogg (1.3 MB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
I Like Second Sky Music But I have only one track
1/40 tracks i have i know TSS music is cool! :)
08-26-2012 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Letty
Rank Points: 10
JTRH - definitely
08-30-2012 at 05:35 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
I think GatEB had really beautiful and atmospheric soundtrack.

As a tracker musician, AE has a really complex and full OST. There are no words to describe how cool it looks, and especially how cool it sounds like. Bravo. Bravo!

[Last edited by The Architest at 08-31-2012 04:10 PM]
08-31-2012 at 04:10 PM
mtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
The Architest wrote:
I think GatEB had really beautiful and atmospheric soundtrack.

As a tracker musician, AE has a really complex and full OST. There are no words to describe how cool it looks, and especially how cool it sounds like. Bravo. Bravo!

Same for me, I have voted for AE.
10-16-2012 at 03:33 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Webfoot musics are really complex and beautiful music while AE music is cool and appropriate. I always end up singing while playing these versions that's why I voted for AE.
TCB and GatEB are cool too. Last but not least JTRH, that's the only music I remember only when I listen to it.
I don't know how to listen TSS music :(

10-16-2012 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Jatopian wrote:
so JtRH is the only one I'm kinda "meh" on. Which is a bit odd, as Erik made all of the AE music and most of the JtRH music - one would expect him to improve with time.
There is a disconcerting tradeoff between creativity and polish. I felt the JtRH music was more polished and annoyed me less than AE stuff. But the AE pieces had some of better musical ideas. This tradeoff messes with me a bit, because I'm old enough to know that I'm definitely worse at some things than I was before. (While thankfully better at other things.)

JtRH was also put together in a weird way. I had planned for another musician to do the JtRH music, and that didn't work out. A lot of missed deadlines and setbacks. I got really frustrated about the situation, and decided I would take all of the song fragments I had laying around on my hard drive and extend them to full length songs. Most of these were 30 or 60 seconds long and had some musical idea that seemed good to me, but I had left it unfinished for whatever reason. So in a pretty short amount of time, I forced myself to finish a bunch of songs. And I might have been a bit hackish about it. ("Hmm. I can copy and paste these 16 measures from over here, change two of the instruments, and it sounds varied enough.")

After JtRH, I didn't have this catalog of music fragments laying around, and writing new music takes a lot of time with my amateurish method (no keyboard playing, just sequencing in an old-fashioned tracker style). Near that point, I hit on the idea of just licensing music already written by someone else. I thought about music that I really liked that was done by people on small labels or no labels, which led me to Jon Sonnenberg. Absolutely not regretting that choice. I was glad to hear more of Jon's music in GatEB.

Sometimes I feel like writing more music. But that ends up giving me a stretched-thin-and-trying-too-hard feeling, because I'm already working on getting good at other creative skills.

-Erik

01-10-2013 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4593
Well, I have to say that I liked JtRH's music the best. (Even though I seem to have voted for TCB last time I was around. Unless it was an accident, that was hypocritical of me, since I've never owned the TCB full version. It's true that the demo has City style, which has the best of TCB's music....)

JtRH's music -- especially Foundation, which I love the best -- just has that feel of being quintessentially DROD: the tension of exploration and not knowing what's around the next corner; the sombre mood and recurrence of motifs as Beethro continues his never-ending fight; the dramatic percussion as he prepares to face yet another roach onslaught....

GatEB's Beach and Swamp music are excellent as well, as are several of the pieces unique to DROD:RPG.

01-10-2013 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather man
Rank Points: 6
I voted JTRH. I only have the demo, but Brood is my absolute favorite in DROD.
01-20-2013 at 07:30 PM
Suwako
Rank Points: 145
AE is the music i liked the most, it has a very cool soundtrack, if not i would choose JtRH because I love the music in deep spaces. TCB has the worst music, specially in the editor.

01-23-2013 at 07:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Which Hold's Music Did You like? (Which Music Did You Like?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com