Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (Candidates declare themseves!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (0)  
Alright, who wants to be Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence? This department guards against intangible afflictions of the community spirit, always promoting good will and happiness amongst the members.

The Director position and the other required spots to fill in the department are listed at this link below:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17257

Note that the Director can't also be the Missioneer.

Candidates should declare themselves by replying in this topic. I think we'll start the poll next week.

-Erik

10-28-2007 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (+1)  
This is not a request for candidacy, it is a question for the candidates who choose to put themselves forward:

What will you do to guard against the more negative influences on the forum? Obviously, those who are new need to be welcomed and treated understandingly, but there are also those who behave just plain obnoxiously. What will be done to deal with the latter group?

10-28-2007 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (+2)  
I'm thinking about this. I've been thinking about it for a while actually ( I thought seriously about being "Normal Person") but I'm still thinking about perhaps being a candidate. I will think about your question cal - it's a good one - but it's late now and I've spent ages trying (with schep's generous help) to sort out the silence problem, so my head's befuddled. Tomorrow . . . .

10-28-2007 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (+3)  
Well I’ve slept on it, as they say, and mulled it over some more and I’m going to take the plunge on this. It’s not the idea of doing the job that leaves me feeling nervous - it’s this election process!

Nevertheless I wish to be considered a candidate for the position of Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence.

Why? because I care very much about this forum. I have said many times now in many different threads, how much I value what we have here - the decency, the kindness, the generosity of spirit which permeates this site. I said once, in a thread about mechanical cheating, that I felt that the members of this site cared enough about the site to protect and nurture it. What has become clear to me in reading all the threads about the Bureaucracy and in particular the varying responses to it, is that I want to be part of the protecting and nurturing. There is integrity and goodness here which are worth standing up for.

calamarain has asked what will be done to deal with those who are “just plain obnoxious”? I wish there was a simple sound-bite answer I could give you - that would be a politician’s response and I am no politician. What I can tell you is born of a long career teaching in Secondary schools (11 - 18 year-olds for those of you not in the UK) during which I have had dealings with all the types of personalities, good, bad and indifferent, that humanity can come up with. That has taught me some basic rules: nip things in the bud otherwise they can become fairly uncontrollable fairly quickly; deal with problems quietly and calmly otherwise the situation can simply become inflamed; be firm, fair and consistent, otherwise people can become resentful. Essentially however each difficulty which arises has to be dealt with on it’s own merits. Informally I have already been doing something along those lines. I have from time to time discreetly suggested to members that comments were perhaps a little tactless; I have occasionally suggested that a post might be quietly deleted to the benefit of all. Whether or not I am elected to this post, I would hope to be allowed to continue to do that sort of thing. I see it, if you will, as part of my responsibility to this ‘family’.

Benevolent Influence does not consist just of counteracting the negative however, it is also promoting the positive. To some extent that will be an easy job - there is so much of the positive all around us here. There is so much talent, so much goodwill, there are so many skills represented in our membership. The Director of this department will be very fortunate in having that to work with.

I have gained so much from membership of this site, so much help, so much support, so much knowledge, so much amusement; it’s time for me to give something back.

10-29-2007 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (0)  
Don't be apprehensive about it. You have nothing to fear.

Except, well, giant cockroaches.

I think you'd be great in this position. I'm curious to see whether anyone will run against you.

Josh

10-30-2007 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I'll second that. Go for it, Elfstone! :thumbsup

I think academic experience is perfect for this kind of position. You have to deal with a wide variety of individuals as well as provide some big-picture vision and leadership (every teacher gets stuck being department chair at least once in her career). Your answer to calamarain's question speaks well to the first part of this. :)

Like jbluestein, I also suspect that you may run unopposed. For the sake of completeness, it would be nice to see you start to address the rest of the director's duties listed in Erik's job description. Such as... how you plan to ensure that the department acts within its goals, how you plan to fill the required positions, what optional positions (if any) you feel are necessary... that kind of thing.
10-30-2007 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
What do you see as the immediate future of the Dept of BI?
10-30-2007 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
In case someone was expecting otherwise, due to my somewhat public campaign for the precursor to this position, I'm just popping in to say that I don't intend to run for this position.

10-30-2007 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
NiroZ wrote:
What do you see as the immediate future of the Dept of BI?

I see the Future BI being abbreviated FBI until it becomes the Real BI and this thread wanders off on a baseball tangent.

10-30-2007 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (+2)  
When I'm the Dictator of Department of Benevolent Influence, obnoxious elements will be relocated to appropriate rehabilitation facilities, where skilled experts in persuasion use their tools of trade to alter the culprits' behavior. Those who endure the trials will rejoin society as contributing individuals.

This Department is the most important for a healthy community, therefore, it must be the most effecient. Gloomy and pessimistic influences will be severely reprimanded and rooted at the core. Cheerful and jolly behavior will be promoted at any cost. Our motto is raising the spirits of the community, even from the dead bodies of recidivist elements.

To ensure the Department acts only within its bounds and does not step into the territory of other, less important Departments, a special team of people will monitor all activities on the forum, with emphasis on people's moods. As soon as they detect a hint of sadness, anger or discontent, they will immediately notify Benevolent Influence authorities, and these people will be dealt with.

Thus, the first two new positions will be Watchers who monitor all activity, and Agents who suppress all attempts at not being cheerful and jolly. To further promote high spirits in the community, filling these positions will also provide entertainment. All applicants will engage in a gladiatorial fight to the death, with the last man standing getting the position.

Remember - when you vote for Maurog, you vote for entertainment, virtue, inspiration and love!

10-30-2007 at 08:59 AM
NiroZ
It's a brave new world of running man! Yay for dystopian utopia's. ;)
10-30-2007 at 09:50 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I like Maurog's plans a lot... especially if I look at his signature :lol . That sounds neither benevolent, nor cheerful.

Though I dare say, I do hope he will get a position in this department. I think him being the best Cynist that can be -supposing Erik decides to create such a position, which I hope.
10-30-2007 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
If you want my opinion on dealing with obnoxious behavior (what? you don't? well, tough!), there are really two kinds of obnoxious behavior that can take place in places like this.

The first is true unpleasantness -- spam, crass or rude behavior, worse. These people should be (and are, AFAIK) dealt with by the admins. So the DoBI should IMO continue to have nothing to do with them.

The stickier question is how one deals with those people who are, for whatever reason, causing irritation/annoyance. So here's what I think the DOBI should do about these people:

Nothing.

Officially acknowledging unacceptable or unwelcome behavior is counterproductive. Most people who act obnoxiously will stop if they don't get the attention they're trying to generate.

Just my opinion...

Josh

10-30-2007 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
What makes you think they know that they are causing irritation or annoyance?
10-30-2007 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Dex Stewart wrote:
What makes you think they know that they are causing irritation or annoyance?

If you think that there's someone acting obnoxiously on this (or any) forum who may not know that their actions are irritating, I'd say it's certainly reasonable to let them know. Presumably at the stage where someone would be asking for some sort of official intervention we've moved beyond that stage.

There are plenty of unofficial ways to express displeasure. Downmods, posts asking people to modify their behavior...my assumption is that all of this has been tried. At that point, my preference is to disengage. Then the troll has three choices:

1) Quiet down and try to interact in a way that people like more. In which case, problem solved.
2) Step it up to the point of causing enough disruption that the forum mods notice. In which case, problem solved.
3) Stay the same. Problem not solved, but frankly if the most annoying thing that happened to me all day was some ill-mannered posting on my favorite forum, I'd count it as a victory. And I can always just ignore them.

So I'm not saying that all negative behavior should be completely ignored until it gets serious enough that the moderators step in. My concern is that people who are being jerks on a forum are usually doing it on purpose to get attention, and having any sort of official response to that is probably not going to make the problem go away.

I'm used to dealing with far more contentious groups than this one. All the various conflicts that have riled people up over the past couple of years have barely registered for me.

So I don't really see a problem that needs addressing here, although I'm willing to acknowledge that my metric may be substantially different from the norm,

Josh

10-30-2007 at 02:56 PM
NiroZ
jbluestein, although I already know the answer to this, I'm interested in your opinion. What about younger members of the forum who don't know any better, and may not be able to fully change their habits even with assistance?
10-31-2007 at 05:27 AM
jbluestein
NiroZ wrote:
jbluestein, although I already know the answer to this, I'm interested in your opinion. What about younger members of the forum who don't know any better, and may not be able to fully change their habits even with assistance?

Really, what can you do about them? People who behave immaturely because they're immature deserve some slack. That doesn't mean embracing unwelcome behavior, but I have a hard time seeing how any sort of official action is going to have a net positive effect.

I think this forum has a pretty good track record of dealing with younger members who don't already know how to behave. It's possible that forum admins have been involved behind the scene at times -- I wouldn't know. But it seems to me that most of the young members who have shown up and caused a stir with inappropriate behavior have either mellowed out or left.

But really, I guess I don't know. A particularly creative head of DOBI may have better ideas than I do -- certainly Elfstone has a good deal more experience dealing with kids of that age than I do (I have a four-year-old and a two-year-old, but so far they're impervious to logic).

Josh

10-31-2007 at 12:00 PM
Elfstone
Apologies for not getting back to this sooner. :(
I have printed out your comments/questions and I will try to answer them tonight, but, without wantint to sound as though I'm just making excuses, this week has been a bit frantic. I go into hospital early tomorrow to have my tonsils removed. Not such a serious operation, but not usual at my age, and I'm not exactly relishing the prospect.

I realise the timing of this is not good with regard to this election, but unfortunately my surgeon is not a DRODer :no (although he may be by the time I leave hospital ;) ).

10-31-2007 at 04:40 PM
calamarain
Elfstone wrote:
Apologies for not getting back to this sooner. :(
I have printed out your comments/questions and I will try to answer them tonight, but, without wantint to sound as though I'm just making excuses, this week has been a bit frantic. I go into hospital early tomorrow to have my tonsils removed. Not such a serious operation, but not usual at my age, and I'm not exactly relishing the prospect.
Bleugh. Not the best of prospects, but you've only got one set of tonsils :P They only have to come out once!

*hugs and hopes for a swift recovery*

10-31-2007 at 04:48 PM
Elfstone
calamarain wrote:Bleugh. Not the best of prospects, but you've only got one set of tonsils :P They only have to come out once!

*hugs and hopes for a swift recovery*

Thanks cal - that's much appreciated! :)
. . and apologies to everyone again - time has run away with me this evening and as I have to be in the ward at 8.00 tomorrow morning I think an early night is called for.

I will come back to this as soon as I'm able; meantime I thank you all for your patience.

10-31-2007 at 10:18 PM
ErikH2000
Maurog, I need to know...

Tongue-in-cheek-making-cynical-point-but-not-really running?

...or...

Tongue-in-cheek-making-cynical-point-but-yes-of-course-running-
because-jeezus-somebody-has-to-row-this-boat-through-the-pudding?

Just let me know if you are running or not. I'll wait until the end of the weekend to hear from you. Anybody else want to run? If so, make sure you declare before Sunday evening on the late end of the globe.

-Erik

11-03-2007 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Most people who act obnoxiously will stop if they don't get the attention they're trying to generate.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, that's golden...

What actually happens is that they have a license to do whatever they want, and so they keep doing it. Sure, they want a reaction, but part of the fun is making themselves feel like badasses by doing something they know is disruptive.

There's also occasionally people who will use the techniques most trolls use in order to attempt to contain disruptions. I personally see this as like using a shotgun in place of scissors, and it usually turns out about as messy, but their heart is in the right place. (Banjooie was one of these.)

It's possible that forum admins have been involved behind the scene at times

Not so much, the community as a whole is much better at dealing with immature people than the admins alone are. I'm pretty happy how well we deal with this stuff, although I do fear what happens if we get a sudden influx of popularity and they all come here and hang out.

11-03-2007 at 02:25 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I am offended by the notion that I might not be really running. Did I not answer all the questions required and outlay the general direction in which this Department will be going? Does anyone think I don't satisfy the initial requirements?

This forum is growing too soft, we must prune the disruptions with an iron fist! In fact, there should be a position called Iron Fist, whose purpose is to remind me when I cut people too much slack, and cease it immediately.

11-03-2007 at 03:49 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I've already given three votes to Maurog.

11-03-2007 at 06:59 PM
ErikH2000
Maurog wrote:
I am offended by the notion that I might not be really running. Did I not answer all the questions required and outlay the general direction in which this Department will be going? Does anyone think I don't satisfy the initial requirements?
Just please be serious for a moment.

Are you running or not? If you win the election and don't actually end up doing anything as a director, it's going to be very irritating.

-Erik

11-03-2007 at 08:22 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Actually, I'm also thinking about it.

Yes, I know I'm way to busy right now, and together with my involement in other Departments is probably not a good idea.

But I still don't like the answers I see in this thread. I have the feeling that Elfstone is just doing this because the Normal Person role isn't here anymore. I think she still can have her Normal Person role because I can always create it when I become the Director.

Maurog's idea has a lot of humour, and sounds lot of fun. However, I feel that this Department should at least have the pretention of "There is actually someone here to help you."

The Forum is important. People come here because they have a great time here. Have fun, have a nice chat, talk about really interesting topics, making and displaying stuff for the other forumites, talk about your problems, give a helping hand, and lots more. I think one of the main task should be showing the appreciation for all the good things all of you have done.

And of course there are those "little hyperactive children" who likes to bully other forumites. But the great thing about this forum is that we have so many good people who can (and will) help these elements. Even if you have to pet them carefully.

And of course there are admins here. In exceptional cases we will ask admins for help, but I hope to keep this at a minimum. But there could be overlap there.

My goal (if I'm really running it) is to help the Forumites. Whether it's just an encouraging chat, a helping hand, or even the things you do to "help" hyperactive puppies. ;)

Note: This is not a declaration that I'm playing, just that I'm still thinking about it. The deadline is tomorrow, right?

[Last edited by Tim at 11-03-2007 10:04 PM]
11-03-2007 at 09:58 PM
NiroZ
Well out of a list of 4 people that I think should run for this position, I have one person who has confidently stuck their hand up, and one who is hinting they might. That means there are 2 people who have yet to stick up their hand. Come on people, take a chance!
11-03-2007 at 10:35 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tim wrote:
Actually, I'm also thinking about it.

Yes, I know I'm way to busy right now, and together with my involement in other Departments is probably not a good idea.
Not to mention being, y'know, not allowed, unless you want to give up all positions in other departments upon election. Thus sayeth The Rules.

11-03-2007 at 10:53 PM
calamarain
Can I found the Department of Malevolent Influence? We wouldn't do anything to disrupt the forum, just occasionally post something cursing the DoBI when they do something particularly useful and helpful, and vowing revenge. And of course plot to take over the world.

All in a wonderfully overdramatic 'I'll get you next time Gadget! Next time! way.

(yes, this is a joke)

11-03-2007 at 11:14 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Mattcrampy wrote:
Most people who act obnoxiously will stop if they don't get the attention they're trying to generate.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, that's golden...

What actually happens is that they have a license to do whatever they want, and so they keep doing it. Sure, they want a reaction, but part of the fun is making themselves feel like badasses by doing something they know is disruptive.

Personally, I agree with Josh that we should ignore this type of behavior-at first, and then only if that doesn't work and it looks as though things could potentially get out of hand, then intervene. This would be sort of like what Tahnan said in the random downmods thread about ignoring behaviors of that sort, and while this isn't about random downmodding, I feel there are at least enough similarities between the two for the approaches to them to have some similarity as well. Just my suggestion on how to deal with the obnoxiousness issue.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 11-03-2007 11:41 PM]
11-03-2007 at 11:38 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (Candidates declare themseves!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com