Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Invisibility - The Official Sept '07 Contest
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged

File: September 07 Contest.hold (666 bytes)
Downloaded 99 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Invisibility - The Official Sept '07 Contest (+4)  
The contest is now closed, thanks for playing

Yes, it's that time. That very special time...

It's time for another contest. In fact, the Official Contest for September, sanctioned by Erik :)

It's an architecture contest, like the unofficial Limited Space contests that have been run recently. But this time, the rules are a little different. There's an element that's tricky to use in the design of a fun and puzzling room - Invisibility. It can be done of course, but it's not that easy.

Your challenge is to make and submit a fun room using the template provided, where invisibility is the central theme of the room. This doesn't mean quick use of an invisibility potion at the beginning/end - invisibility must be the main theme in some way. Submit your entries as replies to this thread, and at the end there will be a poll to rate the submitted rooms, as well as compilation into a minihold.

The Rules:

1) Do not alter anything in the room template except for floor - the walls/stairs/green door must not be altered, removed, changed or have anything added atop them. You're allowed to add your own walls/pits/tiles etc, but the walls/stairs/green door that are already there must be left there.
2) No scripting or characters of any kind. No custom images, sounds or sprites - we want to keep this simple. Just make the room - any other element from TCB is allowable except characters.
3) The room must be solvable.
4) You may alter Beethro's initial position and orientation if you wish.
5) Please don't give your holds custom titles - it makes it hard to know who submitted what. Just submit it in the default format as YOURNAME's September 07 Contest.
6) One entry per person
7) Thanks to a very interesting point raised by Briareos, this rule has been added. The release of 3.1 may happen during the contest, this can't be predicted. It will be assumed for the duration of this contest that all holds must be playable in 3.0.0. The odds are that your hold will also be playable in 3.1 but just in case it isn't, it should be playable in 3.0.0 over 3.1 if there's a dispute. It's very unlikely that holds will break, as only a few things in terms of monsters (briars, stalwarts) have been changed for 3.1 but just in case.

I believe there's a 3.1 -> 3.0.0 converter available as well, this may be handy.
Prizes are as follows:

1st Prize) 100 mod points and your pick from the Prize Pile
2nd Prize) 50 mod points
3rd Prize) 25 mod points

Best of luck everyone. The contest ends 14 days from its start - on the 6th of October, so get cracking!

I'm also aware that there's been somewhat of a glut of architecture contests recently, so after this one I certainly promise not to run any more architecture contests for a while. I can't make promises of anyone else of course :)

[Last edited by calamarain at 10-06-2007 08:55 PM]
09-22-2007 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Invisibility - The Official Sept '07 Contest (0)  
YAAC.

(+1 for the first to guess what that's supposed to mean. Yes, I don't like it if it happens at this rate and even worse when it's official at this rate)

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 09-23-2007 10:39 AM]
09-22-2007 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
icon Re: Invisibility - The Official Sept '07 Contest (+1)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
YEAC.

(+1 for the first to guess what that's supposed to mean. Yes, I don't like it if it happens at this rate and even worse when it's official at this rate)
Shouldn't it be YAAC?

09-23-2007 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
What versions of holds are permitted?

EDIT: And can we change the style?

[Last edited by coppro at 09-23-2007 12:34 AM]
09-23-2007 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
coppro wrote:

EDIT: And can we change the style?
Change the style by all means if you think it looks better.

Regarding versions, what precisely do you mean? 3.x definitely, since all TCB elements are permitted.

09-23-2007 at 12:36 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
:hi :group :band :8bounce :yahoo:

Yeah it's here: YEAC = Your Erik Autorized Contest
I am so excited..... :thumbsup Thank you calamarain for keeping me busy so I could stand the wait, your contests were really fun and I enjoyed each one.

And THANK YOU for taking on this respondsibiliy. I just love the contest each month and was so worried that we were going to skip Sept. or stop them all together. :no But, it's here it's finally here. :w00t

09-23-2007 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
calamarain wrote:
coppro wrote:
Regarding versions, what precisely do you mean? 3.x definitely, since all TCB elements are permitted.
If it were me, I'd say "any official released DROD version" or "must be importable into 3.0.0". Which currently amount to the same thing. Of course it's not me, but I think this sort of issue is what coppro meant.
09-23-2007 at 01:17 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I meant "is 3.1 allowed", specifically.

Also, I'm a bit confused. Are we allowed to add our own walls, pits, etc., so long as the non-floor elements already there are the same?
09-23-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
coppro wrote:
I meant "is 3.1 allowed", specifically.

Also, I'm a bit confused. Are we allowed to add our own walls, pits, etc., so long as the non-floor elements already there are the same?
You're quite right, it's confusing. You may add your own walls, pits, whatever as long as the walls that are already there are *left there*. Regarding 3.1, since it's not been officially released, best to specify that your hold must be importable into 3.0.0.

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-23-2007 01:23 AM]
09-23-2007 at 01:22 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I'm in! I always participated in Limited Space contests, and this be no exception! However, it's pretty late here, so I will have it attached here tommorow or this Monday.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-23-2007 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I'm in! I always participated in Limited Space contests, and this be no exception! However, it's pretty late here, so I will have it attached here tommorow or this Monday.
There's no hurry :) You've got a whole 14 days to do it, so there's no need to rush. I look forward to your entry.

09-23-2007 at 04:26 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
calamarain wrote:
Regarding 3.1, since it's not been officially released, best to specify that your hold must be importable into 3.0.0.
So what about holds that break in some way when imported into 3.1? I mean, the release of 3.1 could easily(?) happen before the end of this contest...

np: Kid606 - Xmas Funk (Resilience)

09-23-2007 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Briareos wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Regarding 3.1, since it's not been officially released, best to specify that your hold must be importable into 3.0.0.
So what about holds that break in some way when imported into 3.1? I mean, the release of 3.1 could easily(?) happen before the end of this contest...

np: Kid606 - Xmas Funk (Resilience)
Very good question. I'm not entirely sure how to answer that one, because I don't know when 3.1 will be released, I'm not a psychic :) I suspect it will be released before the contest ends, if only due to the IGF, but not everyone is comfortable installing a build of 3.1 until 3.1 is confirmed as finished and released.

So I think the best thing is to do it like this: This contest was started while 3.0.0 was the official version. And it will continue assuming 3.0.0 is the official version until the end, even if 3.1 is released before then. If your hold doesn't work in 3.1 then that's unfortunate, play the hold in 3.0.0.

Fortunately, most elements aren't going to break. If you're really worried that this will happen to your hold, stick to JtRH elements :)

09-23-2007 at 10:40 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
techant wrote:
:hi :group :band :8bounce :yahoo:

Yeah it's here: YEAC = Your Erik Autorized Contest
I am so excited..... :thumbsup Thank you calamarain for keeping me busy so I could stand the wait, your contests were really fun and I enjoyed each one.

And THANK YOU for taking on this respondsibiliy. I just love the contest each month and was so worried that we were going to skip Sept. or stop them all together. :no But, it's here it's finally here. :w00t

calamarain was right, but you naturally also got a point sonce I was an idiot.
09-23-2007 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
The third in seven months is a "glut"?
09-23-2007 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Dex Stewart wrote:
YAAC.

An odd yak?
By the way, calamarain's attatchement is evil, look at the size! :devil

09-24-2007 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Tahnan wrote:
The third in seven months is a "glut"?
Fourth, actually. Limited Space I, II and III, then this once. And all in a relatively short space of time.

09-24-2007 at 01:29 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Dex Stewart wrote:
YAAC.

Yet Another Architecture Contest?

-Noah

My stuff:

09-24-2007 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
golfrman wrote:

An odd yak?
By the way, calamarain's attatchement is evil, look at the size! :devil
OMG. This contest is cursed! Really!

On an not off topic note, I'm likely going to enter the contest.

09-24-2007 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
4 limited space rooms...you just about got a hold :look

09-24-2007 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548

File: Stephen4Louises September 07 Contest.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
icon Re: Invisibility - The Official Sept '07 Contest (+2)  
And here we have the latest masterpiece from Stephen4Louise.

Steve.

09-24-2007 at 11:22 AM
calamarain
Stephen4Louise wrote:
And here we have the latest masterpiece from Stephen4Louise.

Steve.
I would say masterpiece indeed. A remarkably elegant idea :) I didn't actually think of the possibility of multiple stairways, but it's perfectly within the rules. Nice one.

09-24-2007 at 01:26 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I may actually try my hand at this contest. If only to remind myself why I don't enter architecture contests...but I do like invisibility, so...

Josh

09-24-2007 at 03:54 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I recall the guideline is that every second official contest is an architecture contest.

09-25-2007 at 07:50 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'm going to try to enter this contest. It's been a while, but I may actually have time to put together an entry for this one. We'll see how it goes.

09-25-2007 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I'll enter too.
09-25-2007 at 07:29 PM
calamarain
Someone Else wrote:
I'll enter too.
Yay! :) Ladies and gentlemen, we're awaiting your entries. You don't need to post saying you'll enter (though you can if you want, it drums up interest :) ), just submit your room entries to this thread when they're done. Plenty of time still.

09-25-2007 at 07:30 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Are you allowed to edit your entry later if someone finds a unintended solution?

09-25-2007 at 07:53 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211

File: Rasmus Bjrlings September 07 Contest.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Well, here's my entry, (in the first DROD contest I ever participated in). It's not easy, but it is conquerable :P

Enjoy! :D

09-25-2007 at 08:03 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299

File: Someone Elses September 07 Contest Entry.hold (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Here's mine.

EDIT:
Made it much less annoying (I think)

[Last edited by Someone Else at 09-26-2007 02:45 AM]
09-25-2007 at 09:46 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Invisibility - The Official Sept '07 Contest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com