Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : In-Game Room Rating
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon In-Game Room Rating (+2)  
When you conquer a room, you will press F7, and the "Room Rating" menu will bring up. Doing this you can rate the conquered room, choosing from one to ten these attributes:

Difficulty
Originality
Fun

03-10-2007 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: In-Game Room Rating (0)  
I have a feeling this has been discussed before, and was confirmed for TCB. Well, I'm pretty sure, but I have a very bad memory.
03-10-2007 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: In-Game Room Rating (+1)  
AtkinsSJ wrote:
I have a feeling this has been discussed before, and was confirmed for TCB. Well, I'm pretty sure, but I have a very bad memory.
IIRC that was being able to rate the hold from within the game, like you can now do in the holds forum, but not on a room-by-room basis.

np: Boards Of Canada - Olson (Music Has The Right To Children)

03-10-2007 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Plus I don't think that you could get enough people involved to rate each room. They would get annoyed very quickly.

I wish that man would stay away
03-10-2007 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
The spitemaster wrote:
Plus I don't think that you could get enough people involved to rate each room. They would get annoyed very quickly.
Agreed. Rating a whole hold is done quickly, but rating each room on it's own, even if you do it right after conquering it, is baaad.

np: Boards Of Canada - An Eagle In Your Mind (Music Has The Right To Children)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-10-2007 06:23 PM]
03-10-2007 at 06:16 PM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Mhh? Do you think it's obligatory? If a guy likes a room so much he will rate it!

03-10-2007 at 08:53 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I think hold rating is a better idea - if there's one room that you really like, then you can post it on the boards. The primary purpose of rating is to tell other people what you think, so that they can avoid playing a hold rated at 2.3. So rating an individual room isn't useful, because another player can't decide to play only that room. Indeed, it's likely detrimental, because if the player came for just one room, he may miss the rest of the hold, which would be bad for him as a player, and also for the architect.
03-10-2007 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
I like this idea, because it would give the public and the Architect a good feel for what rooms the players like best.
03-10-2007 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
tokyokid wrote:
I like this idea, because it would give the public and the Architect a good feel for what rooms the players like best.
Oh, but we have that feature already. Ever read the topics on the holds board?

I agree - rating every room individually would be too tedious. And this wouldn't work too well in rooms that contain different things depending on the entrance you use, or some other multi-visit rooms.
03-10-2007 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
+1 I'd like to give my 2c on this feature (I just had a strong desire for it, but searching revealed that it had been considered before).

At the moment I usually only read about rooms for which I am too stupid to be able to conquer unaided.

Sometimes when I play I purposely don't open a web browser
to the forums, just to keep me more honest.

I would really like to be able to give a five star rating to
good rooms, and possibly a short comment, in the moment of playing. I guess I sometimes would like to give a low score and vent about them sometimes, too.

Maybe the room feedback could be linked somehow in the
H&S forum.

03-06-2014 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
karlpopper
icon Re: In-Game Room Rating (+2)  
I guess this is all too late for The Second Sky, but closely
related is my interest on which evil bastard authored this room.

Those of you who do cryptic crosswords will recognize this
desire: it's ok to know the puzzle setter, because then you
have some inkling about the general style.

So, my feature request is for there to be an "About Room"
key that brings up a modal window with summary information
like Date, author, overall rating, difficulty, etc.

Maybe some of the information would be suppressed if you haven't conquered the room.

Click here to view the secret text

03-07-2014 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I'd imagine that one could use the Holds board threads for discussion and critiques of particular rooms in a given hold, since the threads tend to be pretty quiet otherwise. If there ends up being too much noise there, maybe then we can throw Schik enough bananas to make something happen, but that can happen later, no?

EDIT: But yeah, it would be nice to know who's responsible for what in the multi-author official holds. :)

[Last edited by Dischorran at 03-07-2014 07:18 PM]
03-07-2014 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
karlpopper wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

Often the only difference between the two is whether you've completed the room in question or not.

03-07-2014 at 09:41 PM
karlpopper
(moved from the wrong thread)

I had an idea for a place to put this info that is less invasive than a change in the game engine.

How about in the showroom module in the forum?

e.g. http://forum.caravelgames.com/showroom.php?Action=ShowRoom&roomid=38632

The appropriate checks that I'm signed in to caravelnet,
and have legitimately visited the rrom are already in place.

Authorship could be put here (if known)

As noted before, this is only interesting for the canon holds.

07-16-2014 at 07:35 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
DROD is inherently and strictly hold-based, and while I sometimes can't sleep at night thinking about the brilliant future we could have if it wasn't the case, I can't see a future where we have it being room-based.

So this won't be getting implemented.

11-04-2020 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : In-Game Room Rating
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com