Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Fish Fillets 2 (sequel to one of the best puzzle games)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (0)  
I'd say that it is overall easier than FF1 mostly because of the unlimited undo and multiple save states. If you took those out it would be harder, I think.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-28-2007 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Oneiromancer wrote:
I'd say that it is overall easier than FF1 mostly because of the unlimited undo and multiple save states. If you took those out it would be harder, I think.
And I got nudges, big and small, from Neil in at least ten rooms along the way.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-29-2007 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Oneiromancer wrote:
Beat the Enter the Lab level. And now that I've seen the three rooms beyond it, I almost wish I had stayed in blissful ignorance. I am so very afraid to see the very final level...probably in a year from now or so. :P

Game on,

Man! I'm having enough troubles with Enter the Lab. Maybe I should stay in blissfull ignorance. :)
05-05-2007 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
finally started playing. I'm not minding the physics change because it's been so long since I played FF1. what I'm really enjoying is the way the starfish tremendously increase the puzzle content without adding more rooms.

[Last edited by silver at 05-30-2007 08:39 PM]
05-30-2007 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Awesome! Yeah, the starfish are a nice touch, but I know there is at least one level where the starfish solution is much much simpler than the non-star solution, which I think is a bug. Also, at least for me, on many levels the presence of the starfish showed me how to do the non-starfish solution because of what I was denied from getting the starfish. Not that those helped with the starfish solution...

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-30-2007 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
fun. how far am I?
http://online.fish-fillets.com/profile.php?user=silver

06-02-2007 at 10:43 PM
Oneiromancer
Not very far, silver. 47 out of 112 levels and 20 out of 80 stars. 4 more regions to get to as well. It's not a game you finish quickly. And it looks like you're starting to get to the tricky levels...Three Pack especially is one of the first tough ones.

06-02-2007 at 11:02 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (+1)  
I'm bumping this thread to express my awe for this game. I got it about two months ago and am slowly creeping my way to the end. I've completed two of the final missions that I've accessed (Keycard and Aliens solved, Password unsolved). I'm one room in the Archives away from unlocking what I'm assuming are the next three final missions.

It's a shame there are so so few names on the leaderboard (~300 at time of this post). A game with production values this high definitely needs more recognition.

08-01-2007 at 05:26 AM
Oneiromancer
Awesome, glad to see another person playing this game. I see you solved Get the Keycard the short way...if you want a challenge, do what I did and solve it the long way too. I don't know why the non-star solution is so much harder than the with-star solution, because I can't imagine them not seeing it during testing.

08-01-2007 at 01:08 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Been spying on the (very inactive) forums periodically, and the editor is supposed to be released soon.

Relevant dev quotes:
We are working on. And we hope we would release it through September.
being tested, looks fine..
Should be fun!
09-10-2007 at 11:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
The delay was kind of ridiculous, but better late than never...

The level editor has finally been released!

http://editor.fish-fillets.com/editor
03-16-2008 at 08:10 AM
Oneiromancer
Hey, how about that! Yes, a ridiculous delay, and I really have no desire any more to make levels. I doubt I'll ever make the FAQ for FF2 either, if someone else wanted to go for it.

03-16-2008 at 02:42 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Oneiromancer wrote:
I doubt I'll ever make the FAQ for FF2 either, if someone else wanted to go for it.
We need a department of FAQs
03-17-2008 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver

File: ff2_3pack.png (297.3 KB)
Downloaded 1052 times.
License: Public Domain
every few months I come back to beat my head against this puzzle so I can get my joker off of it and move it elsewhere...

so here's a little game of "right track or wrong track?"

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by silver at 08-16-2008 01:39 AM]
08-16-2008 at 01:39 AM
Oneiromancer
Wrong track.

Oh, okay, I'll be a little more verbose. This is a room where the first moves are very, very important. But it's hard to see why what you are doing is wrong until you see how to do the room. Once you see how to do the room, it's still a bit difficult to put it into action, but finding the lynchpin is, as always, the hardest part.

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 08-16-2008 06:11 AM]
08-16-2008 at 06:08 AM
silver

File: ff2_3pack_2.png (288.6 KB)
Downloaded 1012 times.
License: Public Domain
Oneiromancer wrote:
Wrong track.

Oh, okay, I'll be a little more verbose. This is a room where the first moves are very, very important. But it's hard to see why what you are doing is wrong until you see how to do the room. Once you see how to do the room, it's still a bit difficult to put it into action, but finding the lynchpin is, as always, the hardest part.
---

amusing contrast between your sig and your post :)

anyway. obviously, I envision something like this: but I have a couple magic steps in there.

[Last edited by silver at 08-16-2008 07:06 AM]
08-16-2008 at 07:06 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (+4)  
silver wrote:
amusing contrast between your sig and your post :)
:|
anyway. obviously, I envision something like this: but I have a couple magic steps in there.
You're close. There are actually 2 ways to go about it.

Both methods revolve around making sure none of the 1x1 pieces fall into the pits on the left, which you won't be accomplishing. I don't recall for the first method (since I don't have a saved solution for it), but for the second one, the way that you recover those pieces in the beginning is important as well.

One last hint: it's too late to recover from where you are in your first screenshot, but I'm almost positive you had things set up correctly in order to get to that point. There's one little thing that tells me where you went wrong.

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 08-16-2008 05:40 PM]
08-16-2008 at 05:39 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (+2)  
Doom wrote:
The delay was kind of ridiculous, but better late than never...

The level editor has finally been released!

http://editor.fish-fillets.com/editor
I finally installed the editor...but only because I thought I had to in order to play custom levels. I don't think you do though. Anyway, one of the custom levels is a remake of Fish Fillets 1. I'm not sure how it will play, since the fish physics are slightly different (i.e., more forgiving) in Fish Fillets 2, but I'll be working on finding out!

Edit: found the first obvious instance. The level "Stairs" is one where you have an upside-down-L-shaped shell that you need to carry up stairs. In FF1, you can't push an object to the left or right while carrying it...you can only lift it up or down or move around underneath it without pushing it. So this level, which used to be one of the first tricky levels with working together passing the object between both fish, suddenly became trivial. Since this aspect of FF1 was used a lot in that game, I expect that many of the rooms will be much easier than before.

But for those of you who never beat FF1, it is probably worth checking out. Just realize that although my FAQ will still technically be correct, there will often be much easier solutions. ;)

Edit #2: doh...you can move on the very edge of the screen in FF2 when you couldn't in FF1. This makes a few rooms extremely trivial also. Oh well, so far it's not any of the really hard ones.

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 08-29-2008 05:02 AM]
08-28-2008 at 05:26 PM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I simply can't bring myself to abandon a chain and try another level. On Fish Fillets II, I'm stuck on both levels after the junction in the sewers, "SCUBA-Diving Dentists" and "Rescue Guppy".

For the former, I know I need to put the toothbrush in the larger hole and the toothpaste in the smaller hole so I can get the beetle into the hole, but the only way I can see to do this is to use the dentures or Flounder's seaweed, both of which block the beetle on the future.

For the latter I'd assume that the small piece of seaweed is the key due to how Flounder reacts when you try to move it. I can easily get by, but I honestly can't find out how to dislodge the gun or free Guppy in any other way.

08-31-2008 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Snacko wrote:
For [SCUBA-Diving Dentists], I know I need to put the toothbrush in the larger hole and the toothpaste in the smaller hole so I can get the beetle into the hole, but the only way I can see to do this is to use the dentures or Flounder's seaweed, both of which block the beetle on the future.
You use Flounder's seaweed to put the toothpaste in the smaller hole. I'm not sure where you're stuck on this, but "Hold the teeth up with the steel rod" may be the hint you need.
For [Rescue Guppy] I'd assume that the small piece of seaweed is the key due to how Flounder reacts when you try to move it. I can easily get by, but I honestly can't find out how to dislodge the gun or free Guppy in any other way.
You need to use all three pieces of seaweed you have access to. The longest one goes just to the right of the gun, the smallest one goes next to that, and then the middle-sized one goes next. Once all three are in place you can push the top one to the left from the right and the gun will drop.

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 08-31-2008 11:50 PM]
08-31-2008 at 11:50 PM
silver
Darnit, for once I was going to be able to help with FF instead of whining about how difficult Heavy Hitters is or similar. (though I did finally rescue my joker from Shelby and Shelby last night)

09-01-2008 at 12:11 AM
Oneiromancer
silver wrote:
Darnit, for once I was going to be able to help with FF instead of whining about how difficult Heavy Hitters is or similar. (though I did finally rescue my joker from Shelby and Shelby last night)
Grats on Shelby and Shelby...that one took me a while too. I thought Heavy Hitters was pretty straightforward though. The one after it (Heavy Lifters) isn't too bad without the star, but the star solution took me a very long time. Compared to the star solutions for the "end" levels though...oy!

09-01-2008 at 12:27 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Oneiromancer wrote:
Snacko wrote:
For [SCUBA-Diving Dentists], I know I need to put the toothbrush in the larger hole and the toothpaste in the smaller hole so I can get the beetle into the hole, but the only way I can see to do this is to use the dentures or Flounder's seaweed, both of which block the beetle on the future.
You use Flounder's seaweed to put the toothpaste in the smaller hole. I'm not sure where you're stuck on this, but "Hold the teeth up with the steel rod" may be the hint you need.

When I attempt to use the seaweed to block the toothpaste, it plummets to the ground and permanently blocks the beetle from getting by. It seems the only solution would be to have Flounder use the seaweed and teeth to push the toothpaste onto Guppy's back, but the maneuvering seems to be impossible, is it?

EDIT: Never mind, damn that was a good puzzle.

[Last edited by Snacko at 09-01-2008 01:55 AM]
09-01-2008 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
well, you can't see it here:
http://online.fish-fillets.com/profile.php?user=silver
but my jokers on are on the heavies, so I can at least see enter the lab :)

09-01-2008 at 02:10 AM
mrimer
Rrrr...good game, but all I have to say at this point is that they never sent me the t-shirt I won for being one of the early conquerors, and all e-mails I've sent their way have been completely ignored. They seem to seriously lack in the customer service dept.

09-01-2008 at 09:43 PM
Oneiromancer
That sucks, Mike. :? I am actually wearing mine today...

09-01-2008 at 10:28 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Seeing as people (myself included) have had / are having a lot of fun playing Hanano Puzzle, I finally got around to buying this.

Definitely worth a bump - if you haven't played this, or got part way through and gave up, it's definitely worth playing. Fantastic game, and I'm only a tiny way in.
10-28-2011 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Well... The thing is the solutions gets cumbersome further along. I ended up not having many levels left, but the last few levels I did solve included lots of trivial transportation in order to try out ideas. Kind of like a DROD room with too much hack and slash.

Definitly worth buying, though.
10-28-2011 at 07:41 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Well, this is a rather brutal game, isn't it? (Finally popped it off my steam backlog.)

06-29-2013 at 03:12 AM
mrimer
I recalling needing to ask for some hints on at least three or four rooms, but likely I'm forgetting many others I needed help on.

06-29-2013 at 06:15 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Fish Fillets 2 (sequel to one of the best puzzle games)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com