Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" Compilation
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged
icon Re: "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" Compilation (+3)  
One reason to have judges is so that exceptions can be made when appropriate.

I agree with Doom's idea of publishing the hold, but put a warning in the download post explaining which rule is broken and why an exception was made for it.

And we can do this for other holds too, like the ones published before we had these rules.

To me, the important thing is that players are warned about non-compliant holds before they download them.
11-08-2022 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" Compilation (+1)  
Alright, I'll continue looking at it.

11-08-2022 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" Compilation (+1)  
Hm..the only way I know how to do that for my entry would be to lock the player into it until they complete it. I guess that's fine, if there's a scroll or something explaining why it's being done.

EDIT: This was a reply to Doom's post, whoops.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-08-2022 03:11 PM]
11-08-2022 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" Compilation (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
Hm..the only way I know how to do that for my entry would be to lock the player into it until they complete it.

bbb already did that for every entry. I agree that it's a good precaution to take for a hold like this.

11-09-2022 at 12:37 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
I think I'd tend to agree with Doom on this one. I wouldn't be so against allowing a hold which has back tracking issues in it given that there is significant warning and the whole point is to 'show off' these issues. That being said, I also think that this only holds to a certain degree. Frustrating players by making them redo vast amounts of the hold because they messed up something in the first entry they tried should definitely be discouraged, again though, I haven't played this particular hold.

One other way around it could be allowing the player to easily restart an entry using the special command for example and then reseeding all of the rooms and placing the player at the level entrance. Not sure if that's particularly viable / whether the hold author want to do this but it's one solution that's not been mentioned yet.

EDIT: somehow missed that players were locked in to the entries. This seems reasonable, don't think (in theory) I'd be against promoting this but obviously couldn't say properly until having a better look.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 11-21-2022 08:11 AM]
11-21-2022 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Xindaris wrote:
Hm..the only way I know how to do that for my entry would be to lock the player into it until they complete it.

bbb already did that for every entry. I agree that it's a good precaution to take for a hold like this.

That is exactly why I did that, even though the general recommendation for compilations is to allow leaving incomplete levels. The idea is that each of the levels on its own keeps the backtracking problems it was designed with, but that they don't leak to the hub.

While I believe the current setup (as intended - there may be bugs) is reasonable, and the hold can be promoted, I started the contest with the knowledge that it might not be, and won't be offended if the hold is rejected.

In case anyone else wants to take a look, the hold is available in this thread.

[Last edited by bbb at 11-24-2022 06:43 PM]
11-24-2022 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com