Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Rapid Architecture (Build rooms in an hour!)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1530
IP: Logged
icon Re: Rapid Architecture (0)  
Aww. Just for the record, though, I'd be perfectly fine with Luc (or anyone else) promising not to spoil themselves on the prompts and then streaming a couple of days later, when they actually do have time available.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

02-24-2021 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
I'm obviously fine with anyone following the prompts on their own.

I guess there's a question of whether we include any such unofficial participants in a compilation hold. Personally, I've got no problem with it if they want to include their rooms.

I'm also thinking about having ten minutes after the main hour specifically for test runs to make sure the rooms are possible. If people think they need changes to make the room solvable, they have to run them past me so I can decide if those changes are too big.

Do people think this is a good idea, or would you rather have to budget your final test runs into the hour of architecture? I'm fine with doing whatever people think would make for a better experience.
02-24-2021 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
That's fine, but my own architectural style is to repeatedly test the room mid-edit and post-edit, so I don't know that it would specifically affect me one way or the other anyway. My "bad rooms in need of edit" tend to come from rock simple unintended solutions that I miss due to tunnel vision, rather than unsolvability.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-24-2021 05:54 PM]
02-24-2021 at 05:54 PM
Dragon Fogel
Oh, I'm sure people will test as they build. I just also know that it's very easy to make a minor tweak and then go "that's obviously going to be fine" and then skip testing. And I fully expect that to happen sooner or later if this becomes a regular event. So, might as well plan for it now.
02-24-2021 at 06:30 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
If we want to allow for people to build separately, maybe PM each participant the prompts when they're available? Then there isn't something a late entrant could accidentally run into and read. They just need to avoid watching the streams/playing the rooms, which is much easier to do. If they're in this thread it's "oops I forgot I wasn't supposed to open this thread and now I've seen them".

Personally, I think that everyone who competes should have their rooms added to the hold. It's easy enough to denote them as "late entries".
02-24-2021 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I'm not inclined to change things about the general structure of the event like that - it's not that I'm opposed in principle, I just want to see how it works out as a single event like the Blind Races.

Totally fine with playing around with that sort of idea in the future, but right now I just want to try one thing and see how that works out.
02-24-2021 at 08:13 PM
Dragon Fogel
Update: I have someone to collaborate with on ideas, but unfortunately they aren't able to be a backup if something goes wrong due to time zone incompatibilities.

If someone who's not racing is interested in taking that role, please contact me and I'll share the list with you once it's settled.
03-03-2021 at 12:10 AM
Dragon Fogel
The idea list has been put together! My collaborator and I sent each other several ideas and each picked five from the other's list. So look forward to seeing that soon!

Still no volunteer to start things off if I can't for some reason, though. I don't think this will be a problem, but I'd prefer to play it safe.
03-04-2021 at 05:14 AM
Dragon Fogel
One other thing I forgot to bring up.

With the event coming up soon, it would be great if everyone participating could link to their streaming channels ahead of time. That way the audience (and me) can be all ready to watch before the streams start.
03-04-2021 at 05:01 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Rapid Architecture (+2)  
Here's my channel: https://www.twitch.tv/xindaris
Also, I usually do architecture while listening to music from outside of DROD. I plan to put together a playlist of about an hour of things that probably won't get copyright sniped to listen to during the stream.

03-04-2021 at 05:13 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
icon Re: Rapid Architecture (+3)  
You'll be able to find my stream here!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 03-05-2021 05:37 PM]
03-05-2021 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Rapid Architecture (+3)  
I'll be over here:

03-05-2021 at 06:33 PM
Dragon Fogel
Updated the first post with links to the streams posted so far, so anyone hoping to watch can look there.

mauvebutterfly and Someone Else haven't posted, but both have informed me they'll be testing setups soon and will post here once they're done.
03-05-2021 at 07:07 PM
Someone Else
icon Re: Rapid Architecture (+2)  
I'll be streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/spitemaster

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-05-2021 07:37 PM]
03-05-2021 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
My YouTube stream can be found at this link.

03-06-2021 at 06:24 AM
Dragon Fogel
Testing.

Trying to make sure I understand how these tags work so I can use one to post the list in case something goes wrong.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-06-2021 07:13 AM]
03-06-2021 at 07:13 AM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Rapid Architecture (+1)  
Okay, if I'm somehow unable to start in time, you can view the list of ideas here and can start as soon as it's visible:

Thanks to Rabscuttle for helping me come up with the list.

* Were-wubba. Wereba? (swap between Beethro and Wubba)
* JtRH abridged
* An unconventional trapdoor puzzle
* Monster smuggling
* Blow up dead golems
* Room with exactly one roach in it
* GET GOBLIN. USE GOBLIN ON SNAKE. KILL GOBLIN.
* Use a firetrap to control whether a construct revives or not
* Traffic Jam
* Third time's the charm

03-06-2021 at 07:17 AM
Someone Else
I thought it was starting now, but there's an hour left on those unhidetimes. Am I mistaken, or is there a post coming with the prompts?
03-06-2021 at 02:59 PM
Dragon Fogel
It's time to start! The list of prompts should be visible in the above post now.

Feel free to interpret prompts creatively. Just bear in mind that people will be voting on how you handled the prompts, and may score you lower if they think your interpretation strayed too far.
03-06-2021 at 03:59 PM
Dragon Fogel
Someone Else wrote:
I thought it was starting now, but there's an hour left on those unhidetimes. Am I mistaken, or is there a post coming with the prompts?

Didn't see your post, but you were mistaken.
03-06-2021 at 04:00 PM
kieranmillar

File: Kierans Speedy Stuff.hold (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's my entry

My prompts:

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 03-06-2021 06:16 PM]
03-06-2021 at 05:02 PM
Xindaris

File: AAAAAAA.hold (3 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Alright! Here's mine. Prompt info if anyone is curious:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-06-2021 05:11 PM]
03-06-2021 at 05:03 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720

File: Rapid Disaster.hold (3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Didn't actually test the third room, but I think it might be possible. Anyway, good luck with these. I look forward to trying the other entrants' entries.

Prompts:

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 03-06-2021 06:04 PM]
03-06-2021 at 05:03 PM
Someone Else

File: SE Rapid Architecture.hold (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
My entry! I took a few minutes to make connections between rooms and the like. I spent half an hour on the first room, 20 minutes on the second, and 10 on the third. You can guess how much testing each room received. :P

Prompts:

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-06-2021 05:08 PM]
03-06-2021 at 05:06 PM
navithmastero

File: Fast Building.hold (2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Okay here's mine! Was very pleased with first room. Underwhelmed with the second and... hopefully the third is possible :P

Prompts:

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 03-06-2021 05:15 PM]
03-06-2021 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Thanks for hosting Dragon Fogel. It was a lot of fun to take part. The themes were tricky, I wonder what ones other people picked. I look forward to watching everyone else build, but I'll wait to play the compilation and solve the rooms blind before I do.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 03-06-2021 05:37 PM]
03-06-2021 at 05:12 PM
Xindaris

File: AAAAAAA.hold (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Reupload of my entry with checkpoints added ONLY. I'm putting it in a separate post so everyone can compare to the one I uploaded earlier and confirm that's the only change.

03-06-2021 at 05:16 PM
navithmastero
Yep, thanks for running this DF, a lot of fun and would definitely take part in a similar event in the future.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-06-2021 at 05:20 PM
Someone Else
This is definitely not my style of architecture. It was fun, but I feel like I maybe made one decent room, and it'd need a bunch of changes before I was actually happy with it. That said, I had fun!
03-06-2021 at 05:54 PM
Dragon Fogel
Overall it seems like this went well.

Some people thought it would be nice to have more prompts, for a better chance of something sparking an idea.

One hour to do three rooms seems like a reasonable pace. Quick enough to be challenging but not to the point it's oppressive. Even the people who didn't quite finish what they wanted to do in time only seemed a little bit rushed.

Only one person made use of the overtime for testing. I guess people are okay with taking the risk that their rooms aren't solvable at the end of the hour.

We definitely got some interesting rooms, and people had fun, so this went well overall. My hope is that we can do more of these and refine the details as we go. Seems the core idea is pretty solid, at least.
03-06-2021 at 05:57 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Rapid Architecture (Build rooms in an hour!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com