Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : TSS Beta Testing (Our News For March)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon TSS Beta Testing (+5)  
DROD: The Second Sky -- Beta Testing

Hello, everyone! We hope you enjoyed the 2014 Winter Olympics. Here in the northern hemisphere, winter is now coming to a close and spring is beginning. Caravel has been hard at work wrapping up "The Second Sky". We're now into beta testing, and the process has been going well so far. We’re so excited to be sharing the game with you soon! Our testers are doing a great job of rooting out (no pun intended) every little issue in the TSS hold, balancing difficulty in a few places, and we've found and fixed some important code bugs. On the whole, the build appears to be stable, and it's mostly functional issues we're addressing at this point.

Feedback from testers on the overall TSS experience has been quite positive so far. Lots of great feedback for the levels themselves, how we handled new and old characters, the beautiful new music composed by Emmett Plant and Jon Sonnenberg, and also for the great art created by Alex Kowalczyk. Also, we have a stellar cast of voice actors to reprise previous roles, including Sten Ryason who’s back to voice Beethro, along with Tony Porter, Steve Anderson, Daniel Pugh, Logan West, Michael Abbott, and more. Some testers have played through most areas twice now! I can tell they're dedicated testers, and they seem to be enjoying the journey as well.

Steam Greenlight

We're working on a Steam Greenlight page for TSS. About all of the content is up, and soon you'll be able to go and see it for yourself. We've started working on a new trailer video, and we'll wait until it's up in order to make the Greenlight page public. At that point, we're hoping for a lot of up-votes and positive comments for TSS from the get-go so that we'll have greater opportunity to share our creation with the Steam player community at large. More news on this in the next few weeks!

Edit: Here's the link to the DROD:TSS Greenlight page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93828972

TSS Pre-orders

We're opening up pre-orders for TSS! Pre-ordering (via BMT Micro) will let you register your license on the Caravel Forum, so you can download and enjoy the game as soon as it's publicly available. At that point, you can either download the game from BMT Micro or from the Downloads page on the Caravel Forum. There are some added perks to ordering we’re still working out the details for that we'll disclose in a few more weeks, in our next Illumination.

Game + music bundle

If you've played DROD RPG, then you're already familiar with Emmett Plant's beautiful and engaging music. He has composed ten new and improved thematic tracks for TSS. You can hear one of them already in the TSS teaser trailer, and others are themed to characters like First Archivist, thematic moments like the Grand Event, and more. These tracks aren't available as part of the three new room styles composed by Jon. As part of our arrangement, they won’t be featured for general use in the level editor. However, after considering feedback from many fans about making Emmett’s music available, we've worked out a nice option for a TSS game+music bundle. By ordering this bundle, you can download a lossless version of his TSS music collection for your listening pleasure.

Also, as part of this bundle, we worked out an agreement with Emmett that ordering the bundle grants you a license to use any of his tracks in your own holds. If you pre-order this option, you can start listening to his music right away. You can buy this option for $5 more than the basic game. If you decide to go with just the game, Emmett is placing his music collection up on the iTunes store, so you'll be able to order it separately from there in the future, though I'm expecting that the deal won't be as good as in this bundle.

Edit:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-second-sky/id829214897

Pre-order link for the TSS game+music bundle:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/cart?CID=7477&PRODUCTID=74770032

Pre-order TSS only:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/cart?CID=7477&PRODUCTID=74770028

We’re nearing the end of our journey, and soon yours will begin!

Happy DRODing,
Mike

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-28-2014 10:06 PM]
03-19-2014 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (0)  
Yeah!!!

Just ordered the big pack!!!

03-19-2014 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks for the order! Independent feedback on Emmett's music is welcomed. We'd like to get the viral word out, and I'm sure Emmett would love to hear what fans think as well. :)

03-19-2014 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+2)  
Had to get the game and music bundle as soon as I saw that preorders were open! Emmett Plant's score is incredibly good - will be interesting to hear how it meshes with Sonnenberg's more synthpoppy style in the game.

Just want to report a small problem I had with opening the music in case anyone else has trouble: I couldn't unzip the music with 7Zip 9.20 in Windows 8, because of an "unsupported compression method" according to 7Zip. The WinRAR free trial worked fine, though, so maybe try that if 7Zip isn't working for you.
03-19-2014 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Ah, I'll get around to order too. With the bundle, of course. ;)
03-19-2014 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Emojk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 94
No Mac release? :~(
03-19-2014 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Emojk wrote:
No Mac release? :~(
Yes, we plan to release on OS X, and also Linux. You can use this order link to download any of the Windows, OS X or Linux versions from the Caravel Forum.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-19-2014 07:05 PM]
03-19-2014 at 07:04 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
mrimer wrote: If you've played DROD RPG, then you're already familiar with Emmett Plant's beautiful and engaging music. He has composed ten new and improved thematic tracks for TSS. You can hear one of them already in the TSS teaser trailer, and others are themed to characters like First Archivist, thematic moments like the Grand Event, and more. These tracks aren't available as part of the three new room styles composed by Jon. As part of our arrangement, they won’t be featured for general use in the level editor. However, after considering feedback from many fans about making Emmett’s music available, we've worked out a nice option for a TSS game+music bundle. By ordering this bundle, you can download a lossless version of his TSS music collection for your listening pleasure.

Also, as part of this bundle, we worked out an agreement with Emmett that ordering the bundle grants you a license to use any of his tracks in your own holds.
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

I know I've asked a similar question before, but I want to be exactly clear about what I'm getting, so: (1) does this include Emmett's DROD:RPG music? If not, is there any possibility of an expanded bundle? (2) Does the license allow one to use his tracks in DROD:RPG holds?

03-19-2014 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Rank Points: 229
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+1)  
Placed a preorder. Keep making awesome games :dance:

03-19-2014 at 07:36 PM
mrimer
Nuntar wrote:
I know I've asked a similar question before, but I want to be exactly clear about what I'm getting, so: (1) does this include Emmett's DROD:RPG music? If not, is there any possibility of an expanded bundle? (2) Does the license allow one to use his tracks in DROD:RPG holds?
No, this doesn't include Emmett's DROD RPG music. Anything's possible. Yes, you can use these tracks in DROD RPG holds.

03-19-2014 at 08:15 PM
gumo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Does it run on Windows 8?
03-19-2014 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Yes, DROD: TSS runs on Windows 8.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-19-2014 09:02 PM]
03-19-2014 at 09:02 PM
gumo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
mrimer wrote:
Yes, DROD: TSS runs on Windows 8.

Yay :thumbsup
Another happy customer!
03-19-2014 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
First person to pm me with proof they enjoy drod gets a free copy of TSS

[EDIT]

Players pre 2010 are not allowed to participate

[Last edited by Syntax at 03-21-2014 06:23 AM]
03-21-2014 at 06:21 AM
Syntax
Guess everyone's pre-2010 :) Oh well
03-21-2014 at 04:12 PM
elfbutt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+2)  
Syntax wrote:
First person to pm me with proof they enjoy drod gets a free copy of TSS

[EDIT]

Players pre 2010 are not allowed to participate
My proof is that I'm going to pay for it.
03-24-2014 at 01:29 AM
Syntax
Ok cool - my intention was to pay too btw. Just for someone who may not have the funds themselves as I've done a few times in the past. This time round it seems that gesture hasn't been well received so withdrawing the offer
03-24-2014 at 05:48 AM
markust
Rank Points: 24
Hi all,

I preordered TSS incl. Soundtrack. Hopefully the waiting comes close to an end.

I would have loved however if there would have been some email communication that the preorder is available. Actually i was hoping that the game release date will be on the usual day of the year. Hope that's still realistic.

Best Regards
03-25-2014 at 08:11 PM
mrimer
Thanks for the order!
markust wrote:
I would have loved however if there would have been some email communication that the preorder is available.
This was sent out in the Illumination e-mail newsletter. Are you signed up to receive it?

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-25-2014 11:40 PM]
03-25-2014 at 11:40 PM
markust
Hi Mike,

assuming you mean the newsletter i was and then suddenly it stopped. Im not aware that i unsigned from it.

The last few Newsletters i recieved were on the following dates (dd-mm-yyyy):

01.07.2013, 06.05.2013, 31.03.2013, 10.03.2013, 10.12.2012

Best regards
03-26-2014 at 03:47 AM
mrimer
Hmm...maybe you had an old e-mail address listed. Please go ahead and sign up again!

03-26-2014 at 03:58 AM
markust
Hi Mike,

my email address has never changed since. Could you provide me a link where i can re-register for the newsletter ? I started receiving it after my first order in your shop (1st July 2008). Probably there was a tickbox somewhere which mentioned would you like to receive the newsletter yes or no and most likely signed up for it at this time as the first newsletter is from 09. July 2008.

Best regards
03-26-2014 at 04:34 AM
Vike91
Rank Points: 229
markust wrote:
Hi Mike,

my email address has never changed since. Could you provide me a link where i can re-register for the newsletter ? I started receiving it after my first order in your shop (1st July 2008). Probably there was a tickbox somewhere which mentioned would you like to receive the newsletter yes or no and most likely signed up for it at this time as the first newsletter is from 09. July 2008.

Best regards

Hi! You can sign up for the newsletter at the top part of the following page:
http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games.html

[Last edited by Vike91 at 03-26-2014 04:51 AM]
03-26-2014 at 04:51 AM
markust
Hi all,

Thank for all your help. I signed up again for the newsletter.

Best Regards
03-26-2014 at 05:13 AM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
I'm going to be very lazy (truth is I am very busy) and ask here if there is something DROD-related I can throw money at (I saw the word purchase in an email recently), in which case I will.

Actually if I don't get a response I'll just throw down a credit card number here and let you guys purchase whatever DROD-related you want to, as long as Caravel gets the money.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-26-2014 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+3)  
Trickster wrote:
I'm going to be very lazy (truth is I am very busy) and ask here if there is something DROD-related I can throw money at (I saw the word purchase in an email recently), in which case I will.

Actually if I don't get a response I'll just throw down a credit card number here and let you guys purchase whatever DROD-related you want to, as long as Caravel gets the money.
From the first post:

Pre-order TSS only:
03-26-2014 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
RabidChild wrote:
Trickster wrote:

From the first post:

Pre-order TSS only:
Yay! :D You are the wind beneath my lazy wings.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-26-2014 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Enabler...

I wish that man would stay away
03-26-2014 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+5)  
Trickster doesn't have wings. Trickster is a coyote hot air balloon.

03-27-2014 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
mrimer wrote:
Also, we have a stellar cast of voice actors to reprise previous roles, including Sten Ryason who’s back to voice Beethro...

Awesome. I was so happy to read that. Nothing against Snacko's Beethro, which is quite good...but for me, I'd gotten so used to and so attached to Sten's Beethro.
03-28-2014 at 10:22 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : TSS Beta Testing (Our News For March)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com