Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How have you know Drod ?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Didouneto
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
IP: Logged
icon How have you know Drod ? (+1)  
Me,i have discovered Drod in 1997 in a shareware CD(Create by Webfoot and TLK for French gamers) (i have 7 years old in 97,very young gamer)

And you,how have you know this beautiful game ?

I'm just very curious ;)
07-12-2006 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
icon Re: How have you know Drod ? (+1)  
I had a friend introduce it to me many years ago. I got Webfoot DROD and have been around since then and have watched it grow from Webfoot to Caravel and beyond.
It has been exciting to see one of my all time favorite games grow from what it was into what it is today.
07-12-2006 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Svante
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 169
I think I remember an old thread about this, but it's probably too old to revive now. Anyway, as I didn't say in that thread, I found DROD through autofish.net, a pretty good site. Mainly because it mentions DROD, but still...

-Svante
07-12-2006 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bunches
Rank Points: 192
I've known DROD for 7 or so months. I've played DROD for 6 months. Ezlo was the one who showed me DROD and from then on i've been hooked. :thumbsup
07-12-2006 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Underdogs, I was like 'bah, I need a game' and then HEY HERE IS ARCHITECT'S EDITION.

Then I was like 'wtf, why are there no levels for this or community' because I kept googling 'deadly rooms of doom'.
07-12-2006 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Banjooie wrote:
Then I was like 'wtf, why are there no levels for this or community' because I kept googling 'deadly rooms of doom'.
Well, at least "Deadly Rooms of Death" and "DROD" both come up as our community site now. Phew!

07-13-2006 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Article by Ed Pegg Jr. You might know him.
07-13-2006 at 12:20 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: How have you know Drod ? (+2)  
Didouneto wrote:
Me,i have discovered Drod in 1997 in a shareware CD(Create by Webfoot and TLK for French gamers) (i have 7 years old in 97,very young gamer)
Similar. Played the first 3 levels of the Webfoot demo, called to get the other 25 but Webfoot by then sold only crappy 3D games (the kind that's all polygons, cumbersome, unoriginal, and unattractive). About 7 years later (or so), I was bored and found the demo while cleaning out my hard drive. I think to myself that the full version might be public domain by now. I Google it and discover that it has been resurrected, vastly improved, and has a sequel with another sequel in the works. I download AE and have more fun than with most games in the interim.

I also noticed that I couldn't design good original puzzles for DROD, for some reason, despite the hundreds of quality puzzles I'd produced in other games with editors (Kye, Daisy's Garden, etc. on the shareware CDs), and only recently worked up the courage to even beta-test holds.

While I'm on the subject, I must ask Erik whether he wrote those wacky "buy the full version" texts (e.g. "Death can be fatal - but not in DROD!").

07-13-2006 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: How have you know Drod ? (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
While I'm on the subject, I must ask Erik whether he wrote those wacky "buy the full version" texts (e.g. "Death can be fatal - but not in DROD!").
Yep, those are mine.

-Erik

07-13-2006 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
I was introduced to DROD by a friend who still maintains interest, but does not post here as often as I do. I lived with the trial for a few months, before winning a copy of JtRH in a contest and purchasing a CaravelNet subscription. I have mastered all Caravel official holds, with the exception of Beethro's Teacher (Stupid... wubba... room.) I am eagerly waiting for Master Locks and The City Beneath (which, unfortunately, has yet to be beta-tested as I understand it). And last but not least, I am of course only posting here for the rank point :glasses
07-13-2006 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
That was sometime in late 2001, if memory serves, while I was browsing the newly-added games at the Underdogs. I played Caravel DROD (1.5) some, but got repealed by KDD, Ninth Level a couple of times. Back in those days, life wasn't quite as easy as you youngsters have it. We sweated day and night with the plain mail program, though the luckiest among us could boast of having a working Mutt. No fuzzy browser-based bulletin board, and not even a working ASCII charset (we did our own encoding and decoding by hand, I tell ya).

Okay. I did some more playing following the release of Architect's Edition, actually came somewhere near finishing KDD (I gave up on level 23, though), and played some user-made holds (Tomb of Nomb being the first one). I more or less stopped playing the game in 2004, though I was still keeping a watch on newsletters and the like. I got lured back a few monthers after the release of Rooted Hold, and did finish KDD twice this time around.

I still cannot build my way out of a paper bag, though.
07-13-2006 at 05:26 AM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
Like others I found DROD at Home of the Underdogs. It was the webfoot version that I found and it was the highest rated puzzle game on the site so I had to try it out. I did, and I think I stopped before I even saw the first "hard" room of level one... I got distracted easily back in those days; probably started a new first person shooter the next day. :blush

Anyway, later I was looking for something else to play and went back to the Underdogs and saw DROD listed again and this time toughed it out. I had to find demos for about 3 or 4 rooms that I had trouble with (you had to rename the files so they would play from the title screen in those days). I got stuck for a week in level 24, and stuck for 2 weeks in the room with all the tar babies in level 25. Finally made it through the whole thing, felt a great feeling of accomplishment that I never got from a first person shooter, and then put the game aside.

Later I happened on the official website and found it had been updated and they were working on a new and better version of the game and looking for testers. Hey, yeah, I'll help if I can. Then they came out with the Architect's Edition and DROD been my main game that I've been playing ever since.

07-13-2006 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1377
Alneyan wrote:I played Caravel DROD (1.5) some, but got repealed by KDD, Ninth Level a couple of times. Back in those days, life wasn't quite as easy as you youngsters have it. We sweated day and night with the plain mail program, though the luckiest among us could boast of having a working Mutt. No fuzzy browser-based bulletin board, and not even a working ASCII charset (we did our own encoding and decoding by hand, I tell ya).

You think you had it tough?
I found DROD (via the underdogs) way back in the early Webfoot days - ie, no checkpoints. Imagine playing through the whole of DROD, those multiple tar mother rooms, and all the rest, with no checkpoints. Oh yes.
Actually, I stopped playing it after going 'the wrong way' on level 8, the first time through. A few months later, found a savegame online somewhere and finished it from level 9 onwards. Of course, I have completed the versions since then, including level 8.

Oh - and I'm still registered in the DROD yahoo group, and get those occasional spam emails that get sent through it :D

[Last edited by TripleM at 07-13-2006 09:56 AM]
07-13-2006 at 09:55 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1547
I'm pretty sure I stumbled onto it through The Underdogs. Much like Tscott I bashed through an early version (Caravel DROD from memory) and then put it aside, except in my case it took me two and a half years to get back to it. :)
07-13-2006 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Alneyan
TripleM wrote:
You think you had it tough?

Well, I'll admit I didn't go to school bare-footed with fifteen pounds on my sorry neck, but still. I know about Webfoot DROD and actually played Caravel DROD without checkpoints for a few levels (I had turned them off by mistake). I liked level 8 even then, though.

Of course, I'm also the kind of player who only heard about Undo and macros on level 16 of Rooted Hold (granted, macros aren't terribly useful compared to checkpoints or undo).

[Last edited by Alneyan at 07-13-2006 10:22 AM]
07-13-2006 at 10:22 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Alneyan wrote:Well, I'll admit I didn't go to school bare-footed with fifteen pounds on my sorry neck, but still.
Why not? Have you no sense of adventure?

I bought Webfoot when it was first released, in the days when it wasn't possible to complete level 13, and room 48,1551, or L15 1S2W as it later affectionately became known as, had a trivial solution. The only help available was on usenet until Matthew Daly (I think) set up a fansite. I was replaying DROD yet again in 2003 and couldn't remember the solution to one particular room and couldn't find my archive of rec.games.computer.puzzle - which is where I discovered DROD in the first place. I did a search for Matthew Daly's website and ended up here, and the rest, as they say, is history.
07-13-2006 at 11:07 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Banjooie wrote:
Underdogs, I was like 'bah, I need a game' and then HEY HERE IS ARCHITECT'S EDITION.

Same here... On a long day at work back in 2005 I decided to look up some games on hotu, and I believe AE was recommended as it was freeware and a a great game.

Never looked back.

[now I must try and get a job though]
07-13-2006 at 12:47 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
I somehow accquired Webfoot DROD demo, I just can't remember how. It was about 4 years ago. I played through it and I said, hey, this is a good game. I didn't bother buying it though. I had other things to do at the age of eight (trying to convince my parents to buy a pet comes to mind, but they said I wasn't 'responsible' enough). Then, about 1 year ago, I googled DROD, and I saw that they had a few new versions. So then I checked DROD.net off of google, and downloaded DROD: AE. But that was a year ago when I had dial-up. Now that I have DSL, I downloaded JtRH about 5 months ago. And that, my friends, is my history of delving.
*bows for the audience after some polite applause and some very loud snoring*

Keep posting,

07-13-2006 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1134
I first found it on Home of the Underdogs, using dial-up. I was scared about the thirteen-meg download size, so put it off for a few days. Then I decided to do it.
It wasn't a mistake. So I played a few levels, and spent the next year trying to beat the game.
So now I'm here, saying that I first found it on Home of the Underdogs, using dial up. I was...this seems familiar.

07-13-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Rank Points: 57
I have webfoot D.R.O.D. and I have been playing for six years!
07-13-2006 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I got hold of the demo of Webfoot DROD on 100 Smash Win Games CD. I played it and completed the demo, and then left it for six years. I found the disk again, played it again, and decided to see if it had made anything of itself. And then that same day, there i was, playing JtRH. What a feeling!

07-13-2006 at 07:42 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
I have my own unique story to tell! One of my friends is a Linux freak, well to put it more acurately, a Tux the Penguin freak. He told me that I should get Tux Racer since it was a good game. So I searched online for a windows version, (I don't have Linux) and on that website the game of the day was JTRH. That day I played both demos to completion and bought KDD. A week later I bought JTRH. A week after that I got a CaravelNet membership. A week after that I started bugging all my friends to try it. So far at least three people have bought it due to me telling them about it.
07-13-2006 at 07:51 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Lucky. I can't convince any friends to play it.

07-13-2006 at 07:56 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Ezlo wrote:
So far at least three people have bought it due to me telling them about it.
"Viral marketing doesn't work - tell your friends" :D

np: New Order - Thieves Like Us (Singles (Disc 1))

07-13-2006 at 08:29 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I played the Webfoot version on one of those 100 Games CDs. I couldn't get past level 8, although I honestly didn't try too hard, and I also might have gotten screwed by that one room that you can't get back to if you don't do it right away.

A few years later I either randomly thought about it, or looked that old CD up again, and decided to Google it, and this forum had just opened a few weeks before, and the rest is history...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-13-2006 at 11:09 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
What I want to know is how Erik found DROD! :smile
07-13-2006 at 11:18 PM
Alneyan
Ezlo wrote:
What I want to know is how Erik found DROD! :smile

Just like the rest of us: the wisp found him, and he became hooked on the game.
07-14-2006 at 06:26 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Found it in 2002-2003. My first puzzle i tried is a room full of brains and the exit. But from that i've got way better.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-14-2006 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3757
I've found it on Underdogs about two years ago or something :)

07-23-2006 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Rank Points: 77
As a relatively new member I thought I'd share my DROD initiation. Like others I found this on underdogs in late 2000, early 2001? I vaguely remember hordes of beetles, horrible rooms of tar, and finally, covered in beetle guts, tar and god knows what, hacking my way through to the end of the game. I remember being terribly sad that I had finished the game, and I thought at the time that I had played my last DROD. Then the roaches ate my hard drive, and DROD was forever lost.

Or so I thought.

After repressing those mememories, for the next 4 years, I began to have troubling dreams of endless lines of malicious little blue blobs, and horrible giant roaches. I would wake up in a cold sweat with a scream on my lips and a melavolent voice in my head saying, "Go to google. GO TO GOOGLE! And search for 'DROD'."

On one other note, my girlfriend was very excited to hear that I finally beat the "beetle game" (JtRH) a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately then I found all of this...

-Zack

[Last edited by captainzakku at 07-27-2006 02:37 PM]
07-27-2006 at 02:35 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How have you know Drod ?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com