Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beethro's Head... (...or rather a 3D model thereof.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro's Head... (0)  
A suggestion you might want to do for your mud baby is to use a more metallic specular model. The highlights on the model you made are a pretty bright white, while the highlights in JtRH are more reddish. Just a thought.

++Adam H. Peterson
04-22-2005 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486

File: beethroandroachsmall.jpg (31 KB)
Downloaded 176 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Beethro's Head... (+3)  
AlefBet wrote:
A suggestion you might want to do for your mud baby is to use a more metallic specular model. The highlights on the model you made are a pretty bright white, while the highlights in JtRH are more reddish. Just a thought.

Yeah, I noticed this, but I haven't figured out how to adjust the metallicness in Blender yet. (I guess I need to read some more tutorials. I could easily do this in POV-Ray.) Like I said earlier, this is basically my first time working in blender, so I still haven't figured out all the details. When I figure it out I'll fix it.

Anyway, I made a new picture.
There's nothing really original in it, but I just had to make it.
The only thing I don't really like is the hair, but I just can't seem to get it to be a good texture.
Any recomendations are welcome.

Here's the large version.
Here's the small version:

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:04-23-2005 at 04:29 AM]

[Last edited by vylycyn at 01-20-2006 11:03 PM : Made image public domian.]
04-23-2005 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
minhtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
My gosh, now I could see the enemy!
Great pictures :thumbsup
04-24-2005 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SuperV
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Very super ultra mega pictures!! Make a 3d game, or replacfe the DROD AE graphics with 3d sshots picked from the top! You are a very good 3d artist... What program use???

SuperV hint : BUY JTRH!
04-25-2005 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vylycyn
icon Re: Beethro's Head... (+2)  
I'm glad you like the pictures.
There is almost no way I'd make a 3D version of DROD.
In my opinion, DROD isn't really a game that works too well in 3D(have you ever looked at DROD3D?).
It is also prevented by both my lack of time and skill.
However, I may make a graphical modification for DROD.
I wouldn't make it for AE though, because the tiles are so small that you would barely notice that they were 3D.
If I make it for JTRH, it would require a vast array of 3D images to be produced.
I would have to make, in addition to what I already have, 3D models of roach queens, tar mothers, tar, evil eyes, wraithwings, goblins, serpents, spiders, brains, arrows, yellow doors, lowered yellow doors, green doors, blue doors, red doors, walls, tiled floors, crumbly walls, pits, checkpoints, mimics, mimic potions, invisibility potions, orbs, trapdoors, stairs, scrolls, blood splatters, tar splatters, mud, mud mothers, mud splatters, wubbas, the seep, rock golems, rattlesnakes, activated evil eyes, halph, the slayer, the wisp, the hook, guards, the instructor, the negotiator, citizen one, citizen two, the tar technician, the mud coordinator, the goblin king, secret walls, tunnels, master walls, black doors, sand, dirt, road, mosaic floor, 28 obstacles, bombs, fuses, orthagonal squares, decoys, decoy potions, and if I wanted to make three styles, I would need to make three versions of some of these.

(I can't believe I just typed all of that out.)

I think my point is that it would be a lot of work, but I am still considering doing it.

As far as what program I used, If you had read my earlier posts, you would see that I used Blender to model and render the pictures.

04-26-2005 at 03:08 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Beethro's Head... (+1)  
I apologize for the bump, but you should make a set because your graphics are just too great!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-07-2005 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Beethro's Head... (+1)  
Can I stick my neck out here, and say that I don't like the current "3d"isms in DROD ?

I'm talking about things like the bridge, and the spaces below... In fact, it's only recently I realised what they were trying to be, and I just can't shake the mentality that every square is a 2d view.

No offence meant, I just don't feel it 'works'

12-08-2005 at 12:15 AM
vylycyn

File: 2Dpits.zip (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 95 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Beethro's Head... (+5)  
jamie wrote:
Can I stick my neck out here, and say that I don't like the current "3d"isms in DROD ?

I'm talking about things like the bridge, and the spaces below... In fact, it's only recently I realised what they were trying to be, and I just can't shake the mentality that every square is a 2d view.

No offence meant, I just don't feel it 'works'

Might this mod interest you?

-vylycyn

12-08-2005 at 05:17 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
It's not enough for me. I'd like that you make a set of the monsters in the much same way so we can have different graphics and remember your graphical skills while playing drod.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-08-2005 at 12:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
vylycyn wrote:
Might this mod interest you?

-vylycyn

Hey thanks! That's one way to go about it!

I'll give it a go!

12-08-2005 at 02:21 PM
MartianInvader
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 126
Does Blender let you make videos? It'd be really cool to see a little video of Beethro fighting off some roaches/tar babies. If it has particle generators, you can even have the exploding red dots!

12-13-2005 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Wow what great art!
I agree that too much 3d in DROD is a bad thing but adding some artwork like this to cd the cd cover or inside for effect would really set the mood. Maybe a new entry screen with pic's not just words. :D

01-17-2006 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beethro's Head... (...or rather a 3D model thereof.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com