Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : ARM hardware support for drod games
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
dult
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon ARM hardware support for drod games (0)  
Hello everyone,
I have an old post here in the forums asking ir drod couls Run on ARM hardware (namely Raspberry Pi).
From what i tested with https://github.com/EvidentlyCube/drod this engine, it won't compile for ARM.
Do you think this could be implemented? Recently i've been using the Raspberry Pi to game more than my work PC and drod games are a collection that is alwaysgood to get our Mind off work.
Thanks.
06-20-2020 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: ARM hardware support for drod games (+2)  
This could be necessary to maintain Mac compatibility when Apple switches from Intel to ARM.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

06-20-2020 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: ARM hardware support for drod games (+1)  
If/when Apple makes that switch, one would hope that ARM support would be a simple checkbox in Xcode. If DROD for macOS is built with Xcode, that is.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 06-23-2020 07:21 AM]
06-20-2020 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
dult
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
I have GOG's DROD 1+2+3 https://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3) for linux, so I was actually hoping compiling this engine for ARM, but to no avail.

I'm going to try getting the game to work with this: https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86

[Last edited by dult at 06-24-2020 11:38 AM]
06-23-2020 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
icon Re: ARM hardware support for drod games (+5)  
For anyone interested, I tried running DROD on a Surface Pro X. If you're unaware, the Surface Pro X contains an ARM based processor and so runs on Windows on ARM. Some developers have compiled their applications for ARM computers and so will run fine, but obviously the number of developers who have done this is limited. The cool thing is that Windows on ARM also allows the user to emulate 32-Bit x86 applications (with support for 64-bit coming soonish). Since DROD is a 32-Bit application and is an undemanding game I thought that maybe (despite the performance hit associated with emulating an x86 application on an ARM processor) DROD would run absolutely fine. It turns out, I was right. From my (admittedly limited) testing, DROD runs absolutely fine on the Surface, it's no different to how it feels on my x86 desktop! Awesome! Obviously this does not solve the issue if you're running Linux but if there's anyone out there considering getting a Windows on ARM device, fear not, your beloved DROD will indeed run.

This also bodes well for Mac users as I'd imagine that Apple will be employing a similar thing in terms of emulation on MacOS for their upcoming ARM based machines.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 10-07-2020 01:58 PM]
10-07-2020 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Woo hoo! I appreciate you trying this out and sharing the good news! :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-07-2020 at 09:23 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
mrimer wrote:
Woo hoo! I appreciate you trying this out and sharing the good news! :)

No worries. I'll post on here if any issues come up running on Windows on Arm which I've not seen crop up on regular Windows but for now it looks good!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

10-07-2020 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : ARM hardware support for drod games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com