Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Obduction (Myst-like game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
IP: Logged
icon Obduction (+5)  
It's not amazingly optimized, but man it feels good to be playing a game that reminds me as much of a Myst experience as Obduction does. Check it out. Seriously.

I've already had a nice fair share of OH HOLY CRAP moments and I'm only a handful of hours in. It's pretty different than The Witness, which just scattered all kinds of little puzzles all over the place. Myst is sort of about figuring out big systems, strange machines, and putting seemingly disparate sources of information together using sometimes obtuse logic, while exploring beautiful worlds.

This game is definitely that.

Edit: No I'm not going to LP it.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pearls at 08-25-2016 07:07 AM]
08-25-2016 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Obduction (+1)  
Kind of surprised this thread hasn't had more activity; I thought there'd be quite a bit of overlap in the appeal of Myst-like games and DROD, since both involve exploring crazy interconnected worlds and unravelling how they work.

Anyhow, for those who are interesting, I'm bumping this to mention there's a Kickstarter going on for a new game by the same team. Could be worth a look!

04-03-2019 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Nuntar wrote:
Kind of surprised this thread hasn't had more activity

They lost me at "not for Mac". Not angry, but I just don't want to buy a new thing to play the game.

Also I have two VR thingies collecting dust. VR is cool but I can't settle in and play in a comfortable way like a traditional console or desktop. I always feel like some kind of astronaut or deep sea diver with all that gear fiddling. And the nausea hits me pretty okay, it's just the cumbersome strapping on, warm face, can't see outside world, the phone rings and I have to degear... It's just such an endeavor.

But occasionally trying out VR is fun. Like having cake - on rare occasions thoroughly enjoyed, but not every day.

-Erik

04-03-2019 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Looks like there’s a Mac version now.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-30-2019 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Finally got around to *Obduction*.

Oh, I love it. I start each session with a certain amount of reverence. Turn off the lights, draw curtains, shut the office door, get comfy, immerse.

I would rate the puzzles in *The Witness* as better proper puzzles. But the atmosphere and story of *Obduction* are much stronger. Amazingly large spaces to explore, with it all feeling carefully designed.

There is some joyful consistency in how the world works. Thrilling moments when cool things happen, and if you were paying attention, you'll know that they had to work that way.

It was playable, but just barely, on a 2016 iMac which I had designated as my less-important gaming machine. But in the end, I needed to run it on my 2019 iMac with SSD to get enjoyable performance. Too many frame rate drops on the slightly old compy.

-Erik

04-02-2020 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
And immediately after I wrote my positive review of *Obduction*, the game glitched me into a position that I can't move from. And there's no checkpoint to return to. And I'm like 8 hours into the game.

Sheesh! But if I can't un-glitch it, I do love the game well enough to start over from the very beginning.

-Erik

04-02-2020 at 01:40 AM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
ErikH2000 wrote:
And immediately after I wrote my positive review of *Obduction*, the game glitched me into a position that I can't move from. And there's no checkpoint to return to. And I'm like 8 hours into the game.

Sheesh! But if I can't un-glitch it, I do love the game well enough to start over from the very beginning.

-Erik

I don't know if you're still stuck and I didn't run into this problem myself, but I've heard that if you change your navigation type to point-and-click and then back to free roam it can get you unstuck.
04-03-2020 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
RabidChild wrote:
I don't know if you're still stuck and I didn't run into this problem myself, but I've heard that if you change your navigation type to point-and-click and then back to free roam it can get you unstuck.
Yeah, that is what I did earlier. And it worked! Thanks.

-Erik

04-03-2020 at 03:56 PM
ErikH2000
Somebody told me that Obduction is free today.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/obduction

This almost offends me. It's such a good game!

-Erik

07-16-2021 at 03:09 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Obduction (0)  
On Mac only, though? This is an outrage!

07-16-2021 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Obduction (0)  
No? Looks like Windows is there too.

07-18-2021 at 01:13 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Obduction (Myst-like game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com