Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Books (Have you read anything good lately??)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
donnalouise
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 40
IP: Logged
icon Books (0)  
what have you been reading, and is it any good???
05-19-2013 at 09:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Books (0)  
Hmm, Patrick Rothfuss is great if you are into good oldschool fantasy.

In fact, anything on this list is probably worth reading.

[Last edited by Maurog at 05-23-2013 05:39 PM]
05-19-2013 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I've been reading the "Billy Saga". It's fun young-adult fantasy.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-19-2013 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
donnalouise
mrimer wrote:
I've been reading the "Billy Saga". It's fun young-adult fantasy.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it :-)
05-19-2013 at 10:08 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I've been on something of a fantasy binge lately. Rothfuss is good and I enjoyed his book. Completely different, I also read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy recently and thoroughly enjoyed that. It's kind of like Kung-fu fantasy :)

05-20-2013 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Yeah, and it totally feels like a half-decent development studio could make a pretty good game out of it, too.

05-20-2013 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
It also seems like Mistborn could make a good movie, given the right director, though I'm skeptical of Hollywood's abilities given the disasters that were Eragon and Avatar: Last Airbender. Completely ruined great concepts.

But yes, game would be cool.

05-20-2013 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
I am in middle of The Fellowship of the Ring. :) After reading it, I'll watch the movie and see what differences it has.
05-20-2013 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Depending on what kind of a person you are, that might be a bad idea (you could end up hating Peter Jackson's guts). My take on it is to enjoy the movies for what they are and the book for what it is :)

05-20-2013 at 07:10 PM
mrimer
west.logan wrote:
My take on it is to enjoy the movies for what they are and the book for what it is :)
I like that policy. It facilitates greater enjoyment of entertainment in general. And, after all, why would someone seek entertainment with the purpose of not enjoying it? Hmm...unless the process of not enjoying entertainment somehow brings its own form of enjoyment.

I guess critics can do that for a living. I, on the other hand, don't get paid to be a critic. So in these cases, I'll just seek greater entertainment potential for its own sake. So -- good policy! :)

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-20-2013 08:34 PM]
05-20-2013 at 08:32 PM
The Architest
I'll try to contain myself, if I ever survive reading the book. :P It's a first book I read in English, but I've done pretty well for now.

Anyone read Dune? I finished the first book but didn't have motivation to start the second one yet.
05-21-2013 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The Architest wrote:
Anyone read Dune? I finished the first book but didn't have motivation to start the second one yet.
I have. That's quite an interesting read. It's weird and original. I'm not used to that kind of writing style. I read the second and third books also.

05-21-2013 at 06:19 AM
donnalouise
I've read dune :thumbsup
05-21-2013 at 07:12 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Dune? Series goes 1 > 4 > 5 = 6 >> 3 > 2 in quality - so don't stop with Children of Dune!

05-21-2013 at 08:11 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Dischorran wrote:
Dune? Series goes 1 > 4 > 5 = 6 >> 3 > 2 in quality - so don't stop with Children of Dune!
Don't forget about the prequels, midquels and postquels!

05-21-2013 at 08:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I can't touch those. I have a problem with books not written by the original author.

I wish that man would stay away
05-21-2013 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
I had quite fun with Dune. I am not really used at reading science fiction, but it was definitely a good pick. I'll get around reading the other books later in the summer and hopefully some more SF.

[Last edited by The Architest at 05-21-2013 02:01 PM]
05-21-2013 at 01:02 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
The spitemaster wrote:
I can't touch those. I have a problem with books not written by the original author.
I liked House Atreides more than the original Dune, though I regard both as really good.

05-21-2013 at 01:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
Getting my Neil Stephenson on, of particular note, Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. It's kind of a alternative/speculative/insane history, usually centered around different aspects of science and math and now they affect history/war.

I'm all about it.

Click here to view the secret text

05-21-2013 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Oh? I just bought Cryptonomicon and Anathem for my Kindle when they had a sale a few months back ($1.99 each). Haven't looked at them yet as I'm gettin' me some Agatha Christie at the moment. I've heard mixed feelings about Stephenson but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

05-21-2013 at 03:19 PM
Pearls
Hmmm, Stephenson is pretty unique and I could totally understand it not working out for everyone. Cryptonomicon is frequently excessively technical. I kind of love this part, though.

05-21-2013 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
donnalouise
05-21-2013 at 10:40 PM
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
Cryptonomicon is fascinating if you're even faintly intrigued by information theory, but it reads more like a very long series of anecdotes than any kind of grand narrative that it makes itself out to be.

Snow Crash is constant roller coaster of cyberpunk action, high speed infosmash-your-head-against-a-wall-of-mindblowing, and the most arbitrarily awesome pizza delivery you will ever read.

I enjoyed both, but they're very different novels.
05-21-2013 at 11:28 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Neal Stephenson is very hit and miss for me - Anathem, The Diamond Age, and Snow Crash I loved, but Zodiac I loathed and Cryptonomicon bored me.
05-22-2013 at 05:59 AM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Not sure if this is the crowd for these books, but over the past month I've read "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray, and "2666" By Roberto Bolano. I've read a lot, but they're both among the best books I've read in a long long time.
05-29-2013 at 04:40 AM
The Architest
Now I got myself Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation'. :) Then I will read some Earthsea.
05-29-2013 at 11:51 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I'm in the middle of The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino and am loving it so far. Calvino is definitely an author worth checking out and I've loved every book I've read by him. I haven't read anything else like Invisible Cities, a book I read in one sitting, hypnotized.

[Last edited by Snacko at 05-30-2013 03:09 AM]
05-30-2013 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Snacko wrote:
I'm in the middle of The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino and am loving it so far. Calvino is definitely an author worth checking out and I've loved every book I've read by him. I haven't read anything else like Invisible Cities, a book I read in one sitting, hypnotized.

Have you read Cosmicomics or If on a Winter's Night a Traveler? Those are my favorites of his!
05-30-2013 at 06:53 PM
west.logan
Okay Snacko, based on your recommendation I picked up Invisible Cities and I'm stumped: what did you like about it?

Maybe it's just not my type of book but while I enjoyed the language I found it rather vague, repetitive, and uncertain as to what the overarching meaning was (if any). Life, death? Empires crumbling? What was the point or intention behind having modern features described in ancient cities?

Am I not intelligent enough or do I just not like postmodern works?

09-09-2013 at 06:09 PM
Pearls
icon Re: Books (+1)  
I've read a handful of incredibly unrelated works lately, all of which I'd recommend to some, but not all.

Ishmael - Daniel Quinn: Philosophy about sustainability and talking gorillas. Went in thinking it might be a rant about environmentalism/communism. Went out devastated, unsure, worried, mostly pensive. Would read again.

Needful Things - Stephen King: Black comedy where The Devil (sorta) is from Akron, Ohio and takes on the form of a salesman of a curio shop, who sells you precisely what you need for a little bit of money and a favor. Occasionally sexual, which is not unusual for King, mostly a commentary on desire and how this affects our judgement, leading into doing harm unto others.

War and Peace - Tolstoy: Went into this trying to understand why it's regarded as a classic. Went out completely overwhelmed. So not only is War and Peace a long book, it's a book that talks about So. Many. Different. Topics. Like most good literature, it's a critique on how different types of people will approach identical situations in stupidly different ways. Largely discusses the question of morality in a world where it's nearly impossible to live without violating any framework of morality to some degree. This manifests itself in decisions made via wealth, poverty, and mainly war.

Interestingly, I find a lot of curious parallels to the structure of this book, to Stephen Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (which has been stated a hundred times on this forum by various people and you should all read it what are you doing with your lives?), in that it's largely a novel about the philosophy and morality of those with the power to make a some influence on the course of history (primarily manifested in the form of an army).

09-09-2013 at 07:51 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Books (Have you read anything good lately??)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com