Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What controls do you use?
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon What controls do you use? (+1)  
I was just curious to see if anybody uses a different keyboard setup like I do. Not all of us swing the sword with Q and W!

So here's what I use:

W,A,S,D are up, left, down, right.
Q,E,Z,C are nw, ne, sw, se.
X is wait.
Left and right arrow keys turn the sword.

This is just the way I set up the controls the very first time I played (my laptop didn't have a number pad) and now I can't imagine playing any other way than my backwards setup.

Anybody else have a different setup?

07-22-2004 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: What controls do you use? (0)  
Wow. Those are weird controls.
Since my 7 key didn't work on my old laptop, I shifted the controls a keyboard column to the right (so now I have 9 = north, I = west, L = down, O = wait etc.) I kept Q and W the same.

07-22-2004 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
I prefer to have my hands on the home row. I therefore use D and F for rotation and my navigation keys are:
UIO
JKL
M<>

Besides being on the home row, I also moved my nav keys off the keypad because numlock isn't very friendly with my laptop, which was sometimes in a docking station (with a full keypad) and sometimes not. On my laptop, numslock turns a lot of the alpha keys into number keys when not using a docking station, which is a bit annoying.

I'm simplifying this a bit. Those keys are the proper keys, when looking at the keycaps, but since I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, they actually normally do other things. I.e. my rotate keys are actually "E" and "U" and my nav keys are:
GCR
HTN
MWV

Yeah, that was a bunch of detail, but you asked....

++Adam H. Peterson
07-25-2004 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
here. Arrows-up down left and right. 7-up-left,9-up-right, J-down-left,l-down-right. QW-Sword. R-restart. Backspace-undo.
10-09-2007 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I use the default laptop setup - the same as the PC setup, just configured to avoid the Fn key.
10-09-2007 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
13th Slayer wrote:
here. Arrows-up down left and right. 7-up-left,9-up-right, J-down-left,l-down-right. QW-Sword. R-restart. Backspace-undo.

So, you are keeping one hand on arrow keys, your second hand on 79JL group and... Personally I do not see how this works. I am playing DROD on a stationary PC and I have standard qwerty keyboard, and you have specified three groups of keys.

10-09-2007 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
NumPad, other hand on q and w. The usual, surely? I'm a roguelike player and a Civ player, so it's pretty natural by now :)

10-09-2007 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Roguelikes tend to make you used to using the numpad. I only use non-numpad keys if I don't have a choice - i.e. if I'm using the old lappy.

10-09-2007 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
calamarain wrote:
Roguelikes tend to make you used to using the numpad.
If you say so. A roguelike is the reason I DON'T use the numpad for DROD.
10-09-2007 at 10:50 PM
calamarain
schep wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Roguelikes tend to make you used to using the numpad.
If you say so. A roguelike is the reason I DON'T use the numpad for DROD.
Fine. Roguelikes are the reason *I* use the numpad for DROD :P My fingers just naturally go into that position. Too much Angband, I fear.

10-09-2007 at 11:14 PM
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
I agree that roguelikes are why I don't use the numpad. I use hjklyubn for wsne nw, ne, sw, se, . for wait, and all other keys standard. That's what you're talking about, right Schep?

Damn you nethack, why did you imbue me with this insanity!!!

10-10-2007 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
That's a good layout, but I only ever get used to it after a lot of playing, so I prefer the more regular omni-directional layout.
10-10-2007 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I use the default keys. Once I re-mapped the undo key (don't remember what to, though), because I thought backspace was too out-of-the-way, but not long after I changed my mind and changed the key back.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 10-11-2007 03:15 AM]
10-10-2007 at 04:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
aztcg7 wrote:
Damn you nethack, why did you imbue me with this insanity!!!
You use the vi keys with NetHack? Ewwww :P

Give me the numpad or give me death!

10-10-2007 at 09:24 AM
schep
Heh, so somebody else actually does use the same keymapping. And yes, it's from nethack (though I know some other games use the same keys).
10-10-2007 at 01:56 PM
QueBarbara
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
I use the default, except I moved the "restart" over to P to separate it more from the Q-W keys. In the beginning, I was restarting quite a bit and moving very slowly, and I kept hitting the R key by mistake.

10-10-2007 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NeonElephant
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
calamarain wrote:
You use the vi keys with NetHack? Ewwww :P

Give me the numpad or give me death!
I use the vi keys with most of the roguelikes I play (so far there's been a high correlation between a roguelike not supporting the vi keys and my not playing it--though in most cases that's purely coincidental).

I use the numpad for DROD, though. Possibly I'd change if I started playing DROD on a laptop.
10-10-2007 at 08:47 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Me, I'm almost using the default layout except for undo being mapped to keypad 0 - it's neededused waaay too often to keep it that far away from my grubby fingers... :D

np: Supermayer - Cocktails For Two (Supermayer Save The World)

10-10-2007 at 09:36 PM
aztcg7
To the people who use the vi keys:

Do you keep your fingers on the home keys, and just have your index finger do most of the work, or do you move your right hand one key to the left, and then use it like that?

I can't decide myself, so I figure I should get some input.

10-11-2007 at 01:16 AM
schep
Yeah, I shift my right hand one left of "home". (Of course, during nethack, my hand actually shifts back and forth fairly often, since some prompts involve regular touch typing. I can't even figure out what I normally do for select-an-item prompts when the key I want is in the right hand.)

It makes sense for me playing nethack so that all the commands I need are in quick reach. (How do those numpad users cope with moving hands around to do all-the-time things like step a direction, (s)earch, and (i)nventory?) But I wouldn't recommend using them for DROD except to those who are already used to moving a little character around on a grid using those keys.

10-11-2007 at 02:53 AM
aztcg7
I've been playing nethack for nearly a year now, and had alot of trouble deciding whether or not to shift my hand left one or not. I ended up being halfway in between, and not being consistent at all, and need to standardize. I've actually been going back and forth between the vi keys and the numpad for DROD, but have been settling towards the vi keys.

10-11-2007 at 05:48 AM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Numpad, QW. The only customizing I have done is to set the numpad / as undo, which works for me. Like QueBarbara, I occasionally hit Reset when I mean undo or something(if I've been doing a lot of resetting), which makes me scream! But I really can't see moving it.

I started playing DROD on laptop (using the laptop non-numpad controls), then moved to desktop. There was definitely a transition period when I decided to go numpad.

BbJ

Not to get off topic, but: Dvorak people, do you find it very helpful? How's the learning curve? Any difficulty when made to use QWERTY layouts? I've always been intrigued, but never tried...

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 10-11-2007 07:07 AM]
10-11-2007 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: What controls do you use? (+1)  
bflatjeff wrote:
Not to get off topic, but: Dvorak people, do you find it very helpful? How's the learning curve? Any difficulty when made to use QWERTY layouts? I've always been intrigued, but never tried...
Lots of links to other discussions of this here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15946&page=0

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-11-2007 at 12:19 PM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
eb0ny wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:

So, you are keeping one hand on arrow keys, your second hand on 79JL group and... Personally I do not see how this works. I am playing DROD on a stationary PC and I have standard qwerty keyboard, and you have specified three groups of keys.
I keep one hand on arrows,second on QW.I dont often move diagonnally
10-15-2007 at 06:57 AM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
13th Slayer wrote:
I keep one hand on arrows,second on QW.I dont often move diagonnally

Well, I move diagonally a lot, so your configuration seemed odd to me. O:-

10-15-2007 at 07:30 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
All new players almost never move diagonally at the beginning. I noticed that when I taught my mother to play DROD. It's a stage everyone pass, even you and me. Obviously at some point it fails you completely and you learn to move diagonally the hard way.

My controls are QW and the numpad. Sometimes, when play DROD on a laptop, there is no numpad, so I remap the keys to YUIHJK... it's more awkward, but whatever works.

10-15-2007 at 08:43 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
I use the original layout, with 1 minor change: turn right is now E instead of W. It causes me to hit R a lot. :throw

10-18-2007 at 02:31 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Monkey wrote:
I use the original layout, with 1 minor change: turn right is now E instead of W. It causes me to hit R a lot. :throw
Why not revert?

10-18-2007 at 03:01 AM
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
I use all the default controls. And Maurog, I think I was quite happy with diagonals from the start. What really got me for ages was pressing Q instead of W, and vice versa.

I started playing roguelikes afterwards, and am always uncomfortable if they don't use the number pad for moving.
10-26-2007 at 02:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've gotten used to the Q and W, but I recall having to get used to it and complain about it at every opportunity.

I don't really think there's much else that can be used on a keyboard, though.

10-26-2007 at 04:14 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What controls do you use?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com