Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Where are the old members? (+4)  
I am looking at my cat, sitting on the windowsill and throwing his head left and right being angry at the glass blocking his movement, and I ask: Ubi sunt qui ante nos fuerunt?

I am a faithful lurker for 6 and half a year. I remember people coming and going, I remember having years long breaks from DROD, I remember how awful my English was back then (not that it is perfect now, it's just that I am so far happy with it).

Maybe it's just because of their rank points, their avatars, or the sheer fact that they were awesome, but some people I respected and thought are integral part of this community are not posting on the forum any more. I may not have the authority to ask this question and stay alive, especially that I never was a really contributing user (with all of my failed projects for which I feel ashamed even today :() and I never knew those guys better than others... But my curiosity gets better of me, so what happened to those people (I will now enumerate)?

Starting with ErikH2000, from what I remember, left DROD to work on a project related to safe purchasing, or was it "purchasement" of stuff manufactured in a survivable environement. I can't now find post with his official leave, but I am still wondering how does he manage after all this time away from us?

What about others, 'shroomer agaricus5? The first guy I remember getting the don't ask award silver? (remember to type his name with first letter non-capital) The one eyed tar blob eytanz? Game on guy, Oneiromancer? What about The_Red__Hawk, who never laughed (or was laughing at us) in the Ray Gun for Beethro thread? Alien faced zex20913? Anyone knows anything about them worth sharing with me the community? :)

Without those guys, who I remember having to try to understand my English, this forum doesn't feel the same... It's like leaving the school, except I don't miss anyone from there, yet here... :weep

05-27-2011 at 09:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Where are the old members? (0)  
05-27-2011 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Eytan stopped being a graduate student and became a respectable academic with a real job and everything. Puts something of a limit on the amount of time you can put into anything else at all, never mind a game.
05-27-2011 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Not that I've been registered here long (though I checked in a few times, years back), but I know from other forums that I just got busy and forum life took a backseat to everything. Now when I try to visit some of them, there are a lot of new "kids" who I don't know and don't me.

Things change and we generally look upon the old days as better. That's human nature. I know how you're feeling.

05-27-2011 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Tahnan wrote:
Eytan stopped being a graduate student and became a respectable academic with a real job and everything. Puts something of a limit on the amount of time you can put into anything else at all, never mind a game.

Indeed, while I still had a day job I wouldn't even think about DROD, yet now, when I moved to freelancing I play it every day for a few minutes at least.

Things change and we generally look upon the old days as better.
Hmm, better... I am not sure if I regard them as better, I think it's great that there are new people, who (or whom?) you can get to know and find out that they are amazing, but nevertheless... I miss those who I respected (hey, I was only fourteen back then!).

Anyway, anything about others? What are they up to? How did their lives turn out? If, of course, it is something that can be shared :).

05-27-2011 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+1)  
Erik's Ethical Spender project pretty much collapsed like a house of cards when he realized he didn't have the resources to pursue it, due to the economy crash of 2008.

He's probably off doing something productive now.

Eytanz's been covered. I have no idea where Oneiromancer got off to, but I think he still watches the site, he just doesn't post as much.

No clue where Red_Hawk went, I /swear/ I saw Zex posting. I could be crazy.
05-27-2011 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Maybe a different zex? Zex20913 hasn't posted in just over a year.
05-28-2011 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Well, I don't know. West.logan's running around resurrecting threads all over the place, how can I keep track of these things.
05-28-2011 at 11:42 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Me? I don't recall resurrecting any old threads. Just posting comments in the "holds" section, if that's what you mean.

05-28-2011 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Hey, guys! I've taken the time to search for posts made by the old users mentioned in the first post and link to them. I hope this helps for something.
agaricus5
silver
eytanz
Oneiromancer
The_Red_Hawk
zex20913

[Last edited by Rat Man at 05-28-2011 08:10 PM]
05-28-2011 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Banjooie wrote:
Erik's Ethical Spender project pretty much collapsed like a house of cards when he realized he didn't have the resources to pursue it, due to the economy crash of 2008.

He's probably off doing something productive now.

Ouch, that sucks greatly. I wonder if he is ever planning to get back to games development.

I have no idea where Oneiromancer got off to, but I think he still watches the site, he just doesn't post as much.

Well he DID post back at the beginning of this year, and on September 2010 before that, but it ain't much I am afraid. Not that I require him to do otherwise :)

05-29-2011 at 08:55 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hey, I remember you skell, you helped me test that DROD-like applet thingy I was building...

And yeah, I'm out and about, but not much is going on in the forums since Erik left us. My boards of choice were Forum Games and Electronic Games, and as you can see there's hardly any action lately.

05-29-2011 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Indeed, I still think the sword mechanics in that applet were amazing and this idea should be game-ified.

It seems that the forum is pretty silent in all the boards. One can hope it is caused by a starting exam period, and once summer break hits the shelves we will have more life here...

05-30-2011 at 02:10 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+2)  
Hiya, Skell. :)

And everyone else too. :wave:

05-30-2011 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Hi there! I take it I'm an old enough member? I know exactly how you feel.
05-30-2011 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Hey to you, UrAvgAzn, too! Good to see old people back ;). I must say I remember you, but can't really say from what... I do recall your very peculiar nick tho'!

Yep, Someone Else, I think you are old enough. At the very least I remember you pretty well, and lots of puns around your username. Plus you are active so here, have a cookie *hands a roach-in-a-cake*

05-30-2011 at 11:32 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
skell wrote:
*hands a roach-in-a-cake*
I... don't think we're quite THAT desparate yet. I'm sure there has to be some eyeball pudding left here somewhere... ;)

np: Autechre - Tewe (Chiastic Slide)

05-30-2011 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Yeah, and what about those three slices of mashed brain pie? I didn't make them to grow mold!

05-31-2011 at 12:33 AM
skell
I still have some eyeball pudding, I always wanted to taste it, so I won't share!

Speaking of which, I was always amused by some of the board's descriptions. Most notably:

Are you STUCK STUCK STUCK? About ready to uninstall DROD? About ready to uninstall the hard drive DROD was on and smash it? Well, first ask the friendly folks here what to do in that terrible room you hate so much.

There are certain games which work well with carrier pigeons or online forums. Thankfully, we have the forum, because this guy in Australia keeps forgetting to return the pigeons I send.

Man I can't begin to imagine how many times I was about to uninstall the hard drive DROD was on and smash it. I remember using this phrase once on the H&S Board :)

05-31-2011 at 10:06 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Oneiromancer... I'd assume he's an academic somewhere having finished his PHD.

I do wonder what happened to Mattcrampy

agaricus5, he occasionally mentioned stuff about biology, and medical school I think, so I'd assume something in that direction.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 06-02-2011 04:24 PM]
06-02-2011 at 04:22 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I miss some of those old forum-goers as well. I'm still around, too. However, the lack of a CaravelNet subscription will do some rather severe damage to my activity around these parts. I'll probably be more active when I manage to get one.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 06-02-2011 09:37 PM]
06-02-2011 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
NiroZ wrote:
I do wonder what happened to Mattcrampy
Yesterday, or the day before, I noticed that he was listed under "Users Active." Must have just been checking in to see what's up.
06-03-2011 at 12:01 AM
Rat Man
That reminds me, I saw Oneiromancer there a couple months ago.

06-03-2011 at 07:03 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+3)  
The announcement should be changed to: "If you are guilty of the crime of lurking this fine forum, go post in the 'Where are the old members?' topic in Anything. It is law!"

06-03-2011 at 08:10 PM
Banjooie
And suddenly we get like a dozen posts from people who never say a word on this forum.

Okay!
06-03-2011 at 09:34 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'd like to think I'm one of the old-school but kinda went missing for a couple of years when I realised my house had a cellar, tiles, a sword and the usual roach queens.

I've since returned as the binary version hurts a lot less.
06-04-2011 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Being here since 2005 is quite a long time. I consider myself one of the older members too. Good to see that wallu haven't left us :)
06-04-2011 at 02:32 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I'm registered on DROD before you guys:)

I definitely go through lulls in my DROD activity but almost always read the forum to see what's up.
06-04-2011 at 11:48 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Oh, are we playing the "who registered the earliest" game?

06-05-2011 at 04:41 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Do I count as old-school? I mainly lurk, but I used to be fairly active.

06-05-2011 at 04:50 AM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com