Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Diamonds and Rocks
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged

File: Diamonds and Rocks.drh (97.6 KB)
Downloaded 111 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Diamonds and Rocks (+1)  
*** Latest version at the bottom of this page. ***

Just a hold I've worked on lately.

Don't expect any earthshattering stuff or an epic story.

Expect a simple scripting 11 rooms hold, full of movement order problems and other inexplicable but intentional "errors". :D

On the other hand, the hold is finishable, I've just played it.

[Last edited by Tim at 08-17-2009 10:12 PM]
08-15-2009 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
icon Re: Diamonds and Rocks (0)  
Its good you should add more scripting ELEMENTS that would make it way more fun if you start up an bea testing bored i would be honnerd to be invited also can you please make that anybody can build on you hold becouse i really want to see the scripting im haveing truble with LVL 7 i cant get the door on the righet can someone please tell me to do it i need HELP!!!!!!!!!! :yes
08-15-2009 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Diamonds and Rocks (+1)  
Completed! 5385 Hp remain! This was quite fun.
08-15-2009 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Diamonds and Rocks (+1)  
It's a really neat hold, and I don't think I've been able to break anything. Movement order is indeed somewhat problematic since I can't click to see what moves when, but this is only really an issue in 6E, and at least the parallel stacks give a clue there. I can accept the unusual behavior of the boulder falling given their orthogonal limitation, but eye behavior is just weird.

While I like how health is used to measure efficiency, there's a bit of a problem in that a particularly inefficient player could run out of gas near the end. What makes this particularly nasty is that we can't just restore back to a previous room to do it better like in regular DROD; an autosave at the beginning of each might be nice so that I don't have to remember to do it manually.

For 8E, was I supposed to
Click here to view the secret text

I never did get 9E the "right" way; I could deal with the batch of three central diamonds falling through, but always had an extra isolated diamond somewhere or other. So I killed an eye myself, took the health hit (I really like the option of doing this, by the way), and moved on.

08-16-2009 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
minimike98
Does anybody no how to do 7E i need HELP!
08-16-2009 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Yeah, I have the same problem as minimike. I can either go the 'three boulders on both stacks' route and get the green key, or go the 'two boulders on stack one, four on stack two' route to get the blue key. I just can't see a way to get both. Using the gems as weights is out because you need to collect them, so I'm stuck. :unsure

08-16-2009 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
I've modded you up earlier but I didn't had the time to comment on it...
Dischorran wrote:
I can accept the unusual behavior of the boulder falling given their orthogonal limitation, but eye behavior is just weird.
That was the one of main concerns why I wasn't promoting the hold, since I wasn't sure how intuitive the eyes were. I'd rather wanted the eyes behave like "bombs" with chained explosion properties, but that's not possible due to the limitations of the RPG engine.

an autosave at the beginning of each might be nice so that I don't have to remember to do it manually.
I've planned autosaves on room entrances but somehow forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder!

For 8E, was I supposed to
I don't mind if people can do that, although I don't think that would be efficient.

So I killed an eye myself, took the health hit (I really like the option of doing this, by the way), and moved on.
No worries, I just don't want people to get stuck on the very last level ;)

As for 6E, I am thinking about changing the left column, as obviously, the current column still doesn't give enough hints for some...

[Last edited by Tim at 08-17-2009 04:00 AM]
08-17-2009 at 03:54 AM
Dr. Murphy
Rank Points: 46
A quick question: Are the rocks supposed to kill you? Deadly rocks would definitely add a hint of danger to the game. Whether or not that would be enjoyed by the players is up to you.
08-17-2009 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Monkey wrote:
Yeah, I have the same problem as minimike. I can either go the 'three boulders on both stacks' route and get the green key, or go the 'two boulders on stack one, four on stack two' route to get the blue key. I just can't see a way to get both. Using the gems as weights is out because you need to collect them, so I'm stuck. :unsure

Same here, I've tried stepping off the pressure plate and back on but it still doesn't work.
08-17-2009 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
minimike98
Can somebody please just tell us how to do 7E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-17-2009 at 07:05 AM
minimike98
VIPCOOL

Its 7E get you thinking righet :?
08-17-2009 at 09:57 AM
Tim
Give me a couple of hours to make a new update in 6E with a more subtle hint. (I just woke up. :closedeyes)

No, the boulders don't kill you, this is a puzzle hold. ;)

And I don't remember putting a puzzle in 7E, but perhaps that's just my bad memory.

08-17-2009 at 10:33 AM
minimike98
Opes it is 6E my bad sorry :(

By the way make a beta bored invite me if couse but invite same beta testers thats a good idea :look

[Last edited by minimike98 at 08-17-2009 10:53 AM]
08-17-2009 at 10:34 AM
Tim

File: Diamonds and Rocks.drh (97.6 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's a version with an updated 6E. This version should give you a clue what you should be doing there.

You still have to do it yourself.

(Note: I still don't have time to add autosaving yet, so it might be a good idea to save. And the hold is not finished yet, but I'm not planning to add more rooms.)

[Last edited by Tim at 08-17-2009 02:07 PM]
08-17-2009 at 02:06 PM
Fang
Rank Points: 175
This reminds me of Subterra without the explosion when you die due to rocks falling on your face.

08-17-2009 at 02:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
minimike98
Nope whan you let the rocks fall in 6E in the righet it doesent do the same in the left sorry
08-17-2009 at 09:03 PM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
FINALLY (well, maybe not finally, I only put a half-hour of mentally punching myself to this) figured out 6E. Here's the trick for everyone still stuck on it:
(Highlight the secret text above.)

[Last edited by Monkey at 08-17-2009 09:22 PM]
08-17-2009 at 09:14 PM
Tim
Note to myself: Remember not to waste time making the game more accessible to players, when someone else is just spoiling the puzzle anyway.

08-18-2009 at 08:53 AM
minimike98
icon Re: Diamonds and Rocks (-1)  
Thank you so much monkey Thank you so muck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is for you :) ;) :D :P :( :~( :| :? :-O :glasses O:- -_- :angry :smile :lol :cool :fun :thumbsup :thumbsdown :blush :weep :unsure :closedeyes :yes :no :huh :w00t :look :rolleyes :kiss

Thank you

08-18-2009 at 09:51 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I thought 7e didn't exist.
08-18-2009 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Good questions.
VIPCOOL wrote:
I didn't understand the behavior of the eyes too well. I just used trial and error to solve 7E.
That's exactly what I wanted to achieve in 7E. :)
Is the fact that you can kill 1-2 eyes, intended? If it isn't, then mabye you should increase the damage since that's how I solved the room.
Basically, you've just been given 3 lives, and there's a scorepoint at the end of the game. ;)
Also, 6E depending on movement order is a bit unfair since you can't r-click too see the movement order. However, the latest version makes it very easy to see what to do.
Fine with me. As I've said in the first post, you should expect some movement order problems in this hold. On the other hand, this isn't supposed to be a 8+ brains hold, so only a small amount of "headwork" is required.
This is quite true, but at least minimike98 will stop posting useless comments.
On the other hand, he clearly likes the hold and I would like to help him. The only snag is that I can't understand any of his PMs. What Monkey does, however...

[Last edited by Tim at 08-18-2009 01:18 PM]
08-18-2009 at 01:11 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Diamonds and Rocks
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com