Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What is your DROD playing style?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
PurpleKoopa
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
IP: Logged
icon What is your DROD playing style? (+1)  
Do you rush boldly into that new room or do you take your time to check out the puzzle first? Are you persistent in your delving or do you give up easily? Can you solve a room without dying or getting stuck too many times?

I usually look around a new room first to get an idea of what to do. From then, I rush in and start trying my ideas to solve the room. But I've also been slowing down a lot lately. It really helps to take the time and slow down.
05-02-2009 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: What is your DROD playing style? (+1)  
I rush in, die, and then try to figure the room out.
05-02-2009 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I try different ways till i figure the right one out. It's good that you can die whenever you wish.
05-02-2009 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: What is your DROD playing style? (0)  
Same as NiroZ. I rarely work out a room before trying.
05-02-2009 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Usually the style of playng that i use on a hold varies:

•If this is a hold that i didn't like from the start, I try to go through speedly or exit the game directly,
•If i liked the hold i take a lot of time to look around to the puzzles and also to the small details, to reflet on what to do and on the architect's work. :)

When i try to solve a puzzle or some other kind of DROD room, i usually not surrender easily, but even it depends on many factors..(Checkpoints, style of the room, numbers of monsters to kill..)
And also, it is very difficult to finish a hard puzzle (unless i've already met it) without die sometime or remain trapped.

-Neather2
:)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
05-02-2009 at 05:40 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I just go nuts and try everything I can think of that might possibly work.

05-02-2009 at 06:28 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I run into the room. If the hold up till now has been hard, I look at what seems the obvious natural solution, and write that off. I then do whatever looks most likely to fail terribly. From there I solve the room.
05-02-2009 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
I run into a room and see how much I can acheive off hand. Obviously the majority of the time I fail. When this happens I then go into the room, consider the basic puzzle and move around a bit more carefully. If I still cannot complete the room I then go to the good ol' paper and pencil trick. I print out a screenshot of the room and nut it out on a peice of paper. If I still cannot get it, I turn to the Hints and Solutions Board.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
05-02-2009 at 08:46 AM
rman
Rank Points: 371
Same as NiroZ & Syntax. First I rush in, then I die, and only then I think. :D

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

05-02-2009 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Unlimited retries FTW!

(Okay, I take a good look at the room before rushing in head first, and after dying a few times I start thinking a bit more about it...)

np: Can - Animal Waves (Anthology (Disc 2))

05-02-2009 at 11:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
First I think short time,die/restarst,try again few times,then I use Helps & Solutions if I am stuck!
05-02-2009 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
1. Rush in and die a couple of times.
2. Walk around seeing how stuff works.
3. Click on all orbs and plates a couple of times.
4. Calculate how much I hate Tar/Mud/Gel Mothers, and if it turns out I hate them hard enough, I turn of DROD for a couple of minutes to prepare mentally
5. The same as for 4 but for Adders which need to be Fed or Platforms
6. Think some more, for the goodness' sake, I have brain for something!
7. In the end if I fail miserably a good couple of times (like, 100 or less/more depending on level complexity) I either give up and come back later or look up the room in H&S board

That's basically how I do it :).

05-02-2009 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
I guess I tend to rush at the most obvious path first, then have a better guess of what needs to be done in what order. Though if I can't get it after a few tries and the room is long and complicated, I think I give-up and do something else pretty easily.
05-03-2009 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
I rush in and kill everything I see, then I realize that door I was supposed to get through in time closed 500 moves ago.

Then I look at the room.

Edit:
Oh and, I don't really die / get stuck in that sense a lot; the great majority of my deaths are accidentally moving in the wrong direction; but I just undo then go on. The only rooms I have to restart a lot on are those devilishly hard puzzle rooms that require precise timing / planning. I tend to be a rather fast, careless player; and I enjoy easier holds that I can blaze through to relax over the type of hold where I'll spend a few hours on every room just trying to figure out what to do.

Edit 2:
Oh and if I don't figure it out soon; I'm rather quick to take a small glance at the H&S board. I prefer figuring out *how* to do it; not figuring out *what* to do.

[Last edited by Insane at 05-08-2009 01:03 AM]
05-08-2009 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I definitely like Insane's style... very similar to mine.

Until, that is, someone takes my #1 and I want it back... :)
05-08-2009 at 11:06 PM
cjfoster
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Some of my favorite puzzles have red herrings that look like they could work, but don't. I enjoy intentionally "falling for" these traps to see what happens. This often provides a clue to the real solution.

Generally though, I use checkpoints obsessively to make up for sloppy fighting. For example, a classic for me is dying while clearing tar or mud and realizing that the undo key won't help because I sealed my fate two or more moves ago.
05-25-2009 at 11:43 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I prefer rooms that require me to figure out *what* to do. When I figure that out, I enjoy when I can just do that simple thing and end the room. Trying to figure out *how* to do it is just plain tedious to me.

Unfortunately, that removes a lot of holds from my Enjoy List. Chaco and Larrymurk rooms have a lot of *what* rooms in them but are devilishly difficult. Some of Dooms' rooms are more of a *how* style. Not like I could solve them even if I knew how, though! Many novice architects design simple rooms that can easily be cleared. I like those rooms.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-26-2009 at 01:08 AM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
I agree with 12th. I enjoy trying to figure out the sequence of events that need to occur to solve a room, then completing them relatively simply, as opposed to staring at the answer in the face and spending three days trying to shave off one move that the stupid roaches took advantage of.

05-27-2009 at 12:23 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I attack the the puzzle, messing up, retrying with new insight, and continuing in this manner until I have a solution, then failing to execute it properly due to stupidity, before finally finishing the puzzle.

I dislike precision rooms where the objective is to control a large group of monsters through a series of precise actions (the last secret room in Perfection is a good example). I also dislike trapdoor puzzles, especially ones with tar mothers, though I do like builders when they are used properly.
05-27-2009 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I agree with the last three posters that trying to figure out exactly how to do something is... unpleasant. Simple rooms are lovely. And I mean simple to play, not simple to implement. Heh.

05-28-2009 at 07:06 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3405
I die a lot. Then I complain incessantly over chat. Then I solve the puzzle. "Complain-and-solve" works almost as well as the so-called "H&S effect".

06-20-2009 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I tend to rush in at first, if only to find out how the elements are put together to screw me up if I take that approach. Next, one of two things may happen:

1) I begin to attempt to solve the puzzle. This is engaging and I'll generally send at least 30 minutes slipped in between a few breaks before running to H&S.

2) If the puzzle involves tarstuff mothers used in a not-fun-way, I try for a few minutes, rage quit, wait a month or two and then solve the puzzle easily.

06-22-2009 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
Sillyman wrote:
I agree with the last three posters that trying to figure out exactly how to do something is... unpleasant. Simple rooms are lovely. And I mean simple to play, not simple to implement. Heh.

I think the EXACT opposite.

06-22-2009 at 08:52 PM
Stoney
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
At First I rush in Try&Error Style and usually die trying, so i learn of any problems the room might give me. I then try to solve the problems piece by piece by slowly moving through the room. There are a few tricks in DROD which i learned the hard way. Like positioning your sword before you enter a room.

Oh and by the way, i hate bombs. The explosion always gives me a chill when trying to slowly move past those bomb fields. ;)

[Last edited by Stoney at 08-06-2009 10:42 AM]
08-06-2009 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fang
Rank Points: 175
Stoney wrote:
At First I rush in Try&Error Style and usually die trying, so i learn of any problems the room might give me. I then try to solve the problems piece by piece by slowly moving through the room. There are a few tricks in DROD which i learned the hard way. Like positioning your sword before you enter a room.

Oh and by the way, i hate bombs. The explosion always gives me a chill when trying to slowly move past those bomb fields. ;)

Beethro's death scream gives me a chill... ;)

08-06-2009 at 01:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What is your DROD playing style?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com