Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : My DROD Crashes
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon My DROD Crashes (0)  
Alright, so sometime around yesterday, my DROD: TCB copy started to not respond to me opening it, and nothing appeared in the drod.err file. Reinstalling over it didn't do anything.

What can I do? I tried installing a new copy, but that would mean I would lose the progress I made in everything else...

EDIT: It says 'drod.exe has stopped working'.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 02-15-2009 02:45 PM]
02-15-2009 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: My DROD Crashes (0)  
Well for starters, what you can do is post this in the support forum. ;)

02-15-2009 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: My DROD Crashes (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Well for starters, what you can do is post this in the support forum. ;)
That's true. Could an admin please move this thread to the Bugs board?

Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Alright, so sometime around yesterday, my DROD: TCB copy started to not respond to me opening it, and nothing appeared in the drod.err file. Reinstalling over it didn't do anything.
Urgh. Back up your .dats before doing anything else.

I know this might be too late for you, Jeff, but to everyone else, if you've got important data in DROD, back it up periodically or export your player and holds once in a while. I've been a victim of DROD 1.6 data losses that could have been saved by having backup dats somewhere.

What can I do? I tried installing a new copy, but that would mean I would lose the progress I made in everything else...

EDIT: It says 'drod.exe has stopped working'.
What build are you using? Does the second copy of DROD you installed work correctly? Again, back up your originals first! Try copying the .dats from your old installation into the new one and see if it works. If not, you may have to ask Mike to see if he can fix your .dats for you.

Also, if your computer is generally playing up, a restart might help fix any weird program conflicts that might be causing the problem.

02-15-2009 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
agaricus5 wrote: Try copying the .dats from your old installation into the new one and see if it works. If not, you may have to ask Mike to see if he can fix your .dats for you.
I must convene and say that all updates you had before reinstalling must also be reinstalled before putting in the .dats.

So here's that suggestion with the version numbers accounted for.

1) Take note of the version of DROD you have. Make a folder somewhere on your hard drive with that version number in the name and copy the .ini and the .dats there.
2) Install the latest updates for DROD if you don't have the latest version already. Copy the .dats and the .ini from this updated version into another folder with this version number.
3) Reinstall DROD TCB.
4) Install the latest patch.
5) Boot DROD once and close it. Now copy the .dats and the .ini from the second backup (the current version) into your DROD folder.
6) Start DROD back up. If it still doesn't work, try the other .dats. If those don't work, tell us.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-15-2009 05:53 PM]
02-15-2009 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Topic moved.
02-15-2009 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Kwakstur wrote:
agaricus5 wrote: Try copying the .dats from your old installation into the new one and see if it works. If not, you may have to ask Mike to see if he can fix your .dats for you.
I must convene and say that all updates you had before reinstalling must also be reinstalled before putting in the .dats.
And as an addendum, I think you can find the build number in the changelog.txt file loated in the /Data folder of your DROD installation.

However, I thought it's only the drod3_0.dat file that is updated when you patch; the rest contain player data and are not affected. But I haven't been messing with .dats for a long time, so I don't really know what's going on down there anymore!

However, Kwakstur's post is a better way of expressing what to do what I said originally. So, I've quoted it again, with some slight editing for clarity.
So here's that suggestion with the version numbers accounted for.

1) Take note of the version of DROD you have. Make a folder somewhere on your hard drive with that version number in the name and copy the .ini and the .dats there. This is backup 1.
2) Install the latest updates for DROD onto your current installation if you don't have the latest version already. Copy the .dats and the .ini from this updated version into another folder with this version number. This is backup 2
3) Reinstall DROD TCB.
4) Install the latest patch.
5) Boot DROD once (create a player) and close it. Now copy the .dats and the .ini from backup 2 into your DROD folder.
6) Start DROD back up. If it still doesn't work, try copying the .dats and .ini from backup 1. Let us know if this works or not.

Edit: I posted this just after the topic had been moved (by accident). I cannot see my first reply, but it appears in the thread history when I reply to it. Is this a (minor) bug?

Edit 2: Urgh. I don't know what I did (maybe I copied an older unedited version of the above). Going to fix it now.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-15-2009 07:08 PM]
02-15-2009 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I found the answer to my problem... and it was an empty DROD.ini file. >_<

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-22-2009 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: My DROD Crashes (+2)  
Do you need to know what to put in it, or do you already have a copy?

If not, I'm about to edit this with what I think is the default contents of the .ini. Once you copy and paste this into drod.ini, all you need to do is reimport all the styles you had imported before.

Hopefully, you still have all your DROD data, right?

Full Version

Demo Version

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-22-2009 08:38 PM]
02-22-2009 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Based on agaricus5's first post, and having done so before, I'd like to recommend mozy.com as a good backup solution for DROD.

It's a 2 gig free online backup for Windows/Mac with an easy to use client. I recommend it as it's effortlessly saved me years of progress on at least 2 occasions.

I feel strongly about online backups so never miss a chance to put forward my opinion. I have nothing to do with mozy, but having tried several options, I found it the best for a cheap, secure, reliable backup solution which is great for Drod.
02-24-2009 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : My DROD Crashes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No