Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Answers and Questions
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Answers and Questions (0)  
First off, I would like to apologize. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my computer is now kaput and will not be repaired. I would like to apologize to everyone affected by my ability to complete my commitments, especially Caravel, Mike Rimer, and the rest of the community here (you guys are, for the most part, affected indirectly, and not just because of me. But I still want to apologize).

Secondly, I need advice. In particular, I am in need of a new computer, both to fulfill all my lagging commitments and to do school. It must meet the following criteria:

- A notebook: carrying desktops around is stupid
- Mouse nib: I can't stand touchpads, and don't have room for a USB mouse in most of the places I will be using the computer.
- Not a Dell: They are the ones who put me in this predicament in the first place - while I like their computers, I have to purchase elsewhere or else be a very bad hypocrite.

Also, the following things would be nice:

- Not a ThinkPad: I think they're ugly.
- Not a glossy frame: I don't like having a super-glossy case, because it increases perceived value, and I don't like to draw attention to the computer (it may just be me).
- Has a complete service warranty: If I had one of these, I wouldn't have had to deal with all this. I don't intend to make that mistake again (a complete service warranty means they will replace anything broken for any reason).

Any advice on what to buy is appreciated, so that I can hurry up and not have to use that 'paper' stuff in school any more than necessary.
08-30-2008 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Answers and Questions (0)  
coppro,

I've recently completed a compare and contrast assignment (for a computer class I'm taking) regarding the hypothetical purchase of a new laptop...
Although they are undoubtedly the most expensive, Apple has a laptop that reportedly runs Vista faster than a PC. However, I'm certain that's debatable. (Also, it doesn't emulate Windows, but actually boots up into Windows.)
However, if I were going to purchase a PC in lieu of a Mac, I'd definitely go with the Sony VAIO. I'm an admitted Apple fanatic, but to me the Sony looks as solid and classy as anything Steve Jobs could produce.
Anyway, that's my "two cents." :)
08-30-2008 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Lamkin wrote:
However, if I were going to purchase a PC in lieu of a Mac, I'd definitely go with the Sony VAIO. I'm an admitted Apple fanatic, but to me the Sony looks as solid and classy as anything Steve Jobs could produce.
Well, in the last few service surveys in the German c't magazine Sony always was one of the worst in the service quality category; dunno how much this relates to their US service, of course...

np: Matmos - Supreme Balloon (Supreme Balloon)

08-30-2008 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, I know you said "not a thinkpad", but since that's the only notebook I've ever had that I've been satisfied with, that's what I can recommend. They meet your requirement of a mouse nib, and most importantly, and the reason I'd recommend them over any other company I've had experience with (HP, Dell and Gateway) is that the warranty service is great. I've had multiple customer service experiences with them, and they've always been excellent - the service people were always very quick to understand what I needed/wanted and always addressed it without any hassle to me.

On the flip side, I'd highly recommend staying away from HP, unless you're looking for a cheap, disposable laptop, which doesn't seem to be the case.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-30-2008 11:40 PM]
08-30-2008 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Lamkin wrote:
Although they are undoubtedly the most expensive, Apple has a laptop that reportedly runs Vista faster than a PC. However, I'm certain that's debatable. (Also, it doesn't emulate Windows, but actually boots up into Windows.)
Anyway, that's my "two cents." :)
I would appreciate if you read my entire post before commenting - one of the hard-and-fast requirements I set was the presence of a mouse nib, which I'm positive Apple's computers don't have, and I am pretty sure Sony's do not (though their website appears not to function under Firefox well enough for me to check thoroughly).

eytanz wrote: Well, I know you said "not a thinkpad", but since that's the only notebook I've ever had that I've been satisfied with, that's what I can recommend. They meet your requirement of a mouse nib, and most importantly, and the reason I'd recommend them over any other company I've had experience with (HP, Dell and Gateway) is that the warranty service is great. I've had multiple customer service experiences with them, and they've always been excellent - the service people were always very quick to understand what I needed/wanted and always addressed it without any hassle to me.
I definitely like everything about the Thinkpad except I just don't like the looks. I'd definitely take one if there isn't anything else, they are great machines.
08-31-2008 at 12:06 AM
hyphz
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
No company would offer an "anything broken for any reason" deal at anything less than a stupid price. After all, that would imply that a competitor could buy a laptop, drown it in the bath, get another one for free, run it over in their 4x4, get another one for free, punt it down the stairs, get another.. you see the problem? ;)

Can I ask what the problem with your service deal was (I'm considering buying a Dell at the moment - although a desktop, not a laptop, so a bit easier to self repair if one is refused)

08-31-2008 at 02:42 AM
coppro
icon Re: Answers and Questions (+1)  
Many companies often a "anything broken for any reason", but usually with a condition that they can terminate it if it seems to be out of hand (with Dell it's called CompleteCare, for instance)

Anyway, as for me problem:

For a reason I still don't know, my computer one day developed a massive crack on the screen, as if dealt a hard blow. The last time I had seen the screen, it was just prior to putting it in my backpack. It may have gotten hit too hard or something, but that's really weird.

So I phoned up Dell, and up to this point their warranty has been very friendly. But the technician informs me that the damage is unfortunately not covered by warranty (unless I can somehow prove it wasn't damaged) and, while he would give me a replacement screen were it his choice, he can't approve that. He points me to the out-of-warranty repairs department, and, after a discussion with parents, we purchase a repair (several hundred bucks).

A box arrives a week later - we pack and send the computer. After about a month, still no computer (this was supposed to be a 2 week deal, IIRC). A conversation with Dell shows that the computer was 'lost' (their words). About a month (and many more calls) later, the computer is returned, unrepaired.

At this point, we (my father and I, in alternation) attempt to call Dell to figure out why the repair took so long and why nothing happened. The eventual conclusion was this: Despite my assertions that the motherboard was working fine (I was using the computer connected to another monitor before I sent it off, and it worked every time) to every person I talked to prior to ordering the repair, Dell's policy is to assume that if the screen is damaged in a physical accident, so is the motherboard (it's worth noting that the repair we ordered was for a complete diagnostic and repair of any part of the computer except the motherboard). So without even bothering to check whether it was actually damaged, they simply marked it as having insufficient payment, lost it, and we got it back months later. They don't do partial repairs for liability purposes.

After many more phone calls, we eventually managed to negotiate a refund (we'd had several offers of an immediate on-site repair, but my dad was sufficiently incensed at this point to continue pressing for better terms). We were promised by the employee (who must have had some rank, as every other employee we'd spoken to said they couldn't refund after 30 days) that we would get a full refund and free repair, but my dad elected to hold out until the refund arrived, so as to avoid them saying 'no, you took the repair, we don't need to refund' (which seemed a perfectly likely scenario). We got the refund, but when we called up to get the repair (which needed to be dispatched by tech support anyway), we were given a negative. After some angry mails to vice presidents, we were referred to some executive customer support group, who proceeded to unceremoniously deny our attempt for a repair on some ridiculous grounds.

At this point, buying a Dell is not something we're willing to do again for a long while.

On a positive note, their on-warranty service has been absolutely excellent. I've never had something not work for more than a couple days.
08-31-2008 at 04:52 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
So wait, you don't want a thinkpad 'because it looks ugly' but don't want a glossy case because 'it looks too good, might attract thieves'.
08-31-2008 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Well, if you'll settle for an ugly computer, my Thinkpad T30 is still holding up well six years after buying it. It's had its hard drive and DVD drives replaced (both easy), but otherwise it's going strong; manufacturing has been passed from IBM to Lenovo in the meantime, but everything I've heard is that the workmanship hasn't decreased. Really, a Macbook is the only thing that would be likely to make me switch brands at this point.

08-31-2008 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
NiroZ wrote:
So wait, you don't want a thinkpad 'because it looks ugly' but don't want a glossy case because 'it looks too good, might attract thieves'.
No. I also don't like the way the buttons click on the ThinkPad :P

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what Lenovo's definition of widescreen is? I would rather avoid idiotic screens that think that 16:9 is useful on a computer.

[Last edited by coppro at 08-31-2008 06:04 AM]
08-31-2008 at 05:56 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
IIRC, when I bought my thinkpad, about a year and a half ago, it was 19:10. I doubt that it changed, but who knows. I don't have a widescreen myself, so I'm not sure.

08-31-2008 at 09:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I bought my first laptop last Friday but however much I'd love to recommend the spec to you, I shan't as it doesn't have a mouse-nib *pad?*, and it's still early days for me.

However:
coppro wrote:
EDIT: Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what Lenovo's definition of widescreen is? I would rather avoid idiotic screens that think that 16:9 is useful on a computer.
I would have agreed with you totally less than a week ago.

Now though, I'd like to differ.

My latest purchase has a 15.4" widescreen and that would have put me off buying it had it not been for the fact I needed a laptop within the hour, and this one had 25% off. The extra width really helps with using IDE's and general webpages for one. No more side scrolling *ever* (well...). Once the mouse wheel catches up with 2 dimensions, this may be a moot point though.

Vista also has that annoying widget bar which I kinda like at the moment (novelty no doubt). The extra width allows that to be present whilst still maintaining the standard main window dimensions we're used to.

Finally, windows in general just *seem to stack better*. I would usually have a main window open full-screen and alt-tab between. Ditto on Linux, with the added bonus of multiple desktops for each app window set. With the widescreen I feel a lot more aware of windows I have open as I don't full-screen any of them and can still spot the ones behind.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I'm getting converted after swearing I would never get a widescreen.

Ohh, and first DROD-post on my new laptop :)
09-01-2008 at 12:45 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
FWIW, those "mouse nibs" are actually called "trackpoints". PC Keyboards even sells a regular USB IBM keyboard with a trackpoint... if I ever need a new keyboard I'ma gonna get me one of those... :)

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-01-2008 09:35 AM]
09-01-2008 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I have to admit that I thought wide screens were ridiculous and unnecessary in a computer, but my uncle convinced me to get one anyway. If I remember right, he said "just get one and you won't regret it", even after I brought up that it might mess up some games and you only need it for movies etc. I was skeptical then, but now regular screens look too small to me. You really need the extra horizontal space whenever you're working with more than one window at the same time.

Really, wide screens work. Just get one and you won't come back to 3:4 ever again.

[Last edited by Maurog at 09-01-2008 09:25 AM]
09-01-2008 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I have to recommend a Thinkpad. Although I'm a Mac user by preference, I have to use a PC that runs Windows for my work. I've used Thinkpads for years. They are serious workhorses that are really sturdy. And if you do have problems Lenovo is great when it comes to service.

I also only use a trackpoint -- I hate using a mouse on a laptop, so on the newer models I just turn off the trackpad. Regarding the widesceen: one of my Thinkpads -- the Z60m -- is a 15.4" and I have to say I've come to love it. The Z60 is a bit heavy for a laptop, so I recently bought a X60 for when I really need to streamline and it's the cutest thing. A 12.1" screen and less than 3.5 lbs even with the 8 cell battery. Very fast and long battery life. You do have to use a docking station to play a CD or DVD, but even with that, it's still lighter than my Z60m or my T21. But I do miss the widescreen when I use the X60.

Personally, I don't think Thinkpads are ugly. Matte black, macho steel hinges... yeah, they're more like a muscle man than a fashion model, but I like tough in my laptop. I put mine through a lot (they've been dropped, had drinks spilled on them, etc.) and they've always held up.
09-02-2008 at 07:49 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Answers and Questions
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com