Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : The Un-answerable Question
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Un-answerable Question (0)  
The anthropic principle, which should be applied with caution, tells us that that question is arguably not worth answering - in order for anyone to be around to ask it, there by definition has to be something rather than nothing. The existence of humanity is a sufficient (though clearly not a neccessary) condition for the universe to be arranged in such a way that we can exist, however improbable that arrangement may be.

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 05-27-2008 09:16 PM]
05-27-2008 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Mr. Slice, you get to ask a question when you win a round. First, we must provide answers to Tahnan's question, since it's his turn now. Everyone, do your best!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-28-2008 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: The Un-answerable Question (-1)  
Sorry, but Tahnan didn't exactly say anything after our discussion. I figure he either forgot or lost interest entirely.

Anyway, to stay on topic:
Because your question is a thing and I will not stand for inconsistency.

05-28-2008 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: The Un-answerable Question (+2)  
Mr. Slice wrote:
Sorry, but Tahnan didn't exactly say anything after our discussion. I figure he either forgot or lost interest entirely.
I have to admire your ability to continue to find new and exciting ways to lower my estimation of you. I posted my question less than 24 hours ago. And I couldn't even begin to comprehend (a) the way in which this thread had been derailed, or (b) what "binary speaking" was supposed to mean.

In any case, BeefontheBone's answer is a non-answer; it explains only why things exist given that humanity exists, but that takes our existence a priori. Elfstone, I fear, may be right, but too darned pessimistic.

My favorite answer is still that of Sidney Morgenbesser, Jewish philosopher: "Even if there were nothing, you’d still be complaining!" Rabscuttle came decently close, so I'll grant him the points.
05-28-2008 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tahnan wrote:
In any case, BeefontheBone's answer is a non-answer; it explains only why things exist given that humanity exists, but that takes our existence a priori.
"Cogito ergo sum." is a non-answer now? When did this happen, and how did the universe not implode when it did?

Seriously. :thumbsdown

05-28-2008 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Wrong threads, which would really throw someone off, and your question wasn't as obvious as a question as I thought it would be, so I thought we were derailing it.

Oh, and I really love your sarcasm. (This is sarcastic as well)

05-28-2008 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Jatopian wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
In any case, BeefontheBone's answer is a non-answer; it explains only why things exist given that humanity exists, but that takes our existence a priori.
"Cogito ergo sum." is a non-answer now? When did this happen, and how did the universe not implode when it did?
"Cogito ergo sum" proves only that something exists. It doesn't provide any indication as to why. Or rather, it's a statement of epistemology: it tells us how we know that there's something instead of nothing. But understanding how I know that grass is green doesn't explain why grass is green, and understanding how I know that anything exists doesn't explain why anything exists.
05-28-2008 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Tahnan wrote:
But understanding how I know that grass is green doesn't explain why grass is green, and understanding how I know that anything exists doesn't explain why anything exists.

Depends whether you approach this as a matter of physics or a matter of psychology.

Psychologically speaking, colors are one way we categorize our perceptions, and so grass IS green because we percieve it to be green, or in some cases percieve it to be brown or yellow, and argue that nonetheless it ought to be green.

06-03-2008 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I think that the only thing that you can assume is that reality doesn't exist without something to witness it's existence. (By witnessing you have to be able to change an outcome (and care) by observing prior events) Because if you have nothing, nobody is around to see everything not being there.

Psychology is just one way of defining something that is there. When there is nothing psychology is a moot point.

The problem with this view point (for some people) is that it requires someone to witness creation. Science has conclusively proven that the universe is not infinite but had a distinct beginning. The theory states that something does not exist without a witness. (The tree does not fall if there is no way of the information reaching the witness. By either examining past evidence or otherwise) Therefore, you need a witness be there the moment of creation. (Because the universe would not exist at the beginning without the witness)

So I agree with beefonthebone.

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 06-03-2008 05:21 AM]
06-03-2008 at 05:20 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Jatopian wrote:
Actually, I think all the answers were correct to some degree. But we seem to have missed the "real" answer: *slaps calamarain with one hand*

Slapping people is mean, you should be ashamed of yourself!
*slaps Jatopian*

06-12-2008 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Hey, Ladies!
Chill...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-12-2008 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Sheesh!
Can't you lot take a joke! :(

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-15-2008 at 02:45 AM
Tahnan
wonkyth wrote:
Sheesh!
Can't you lot take a joke! :(
Yes. Let us know when you make one.
06-15-2008 at 02:52 AM
wonkyth
Seems we aren't on the same wavelength.
it's just the way I communicate, I'm not trying to be Spiteful.

Okay, heres a joke: Why did the chicken cross the road?

See?
Still not funny, am I?

:thumbsup
I'm still smiling, as always.
Even if it is becoming apparent that I'm gonna hit rock bottom ModPoint wise

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-15-2008 at 03:03 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Don't try to defend yourself, because you're putting yourself in a worse position doing so.

06-15-2008 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wonkyth
I get used to that... ;)

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
06-15-2008 at 03:14 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Chances are: if people tell you that you are stupid
-either you are
-or they are beginning to hate you

Likely it's both in this case.

I wish that man would stay away
06-15-2008 at 05:42 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: The Un-answerable Question (+1)  
The spitemaster wrote:
Chances are: if people tell you that you are stupid
-either you are
-or they are beginning to hate you

Likely it's both in this case.
Where did someone say that wonkyth was stupid? (other than your post, of course) They just got annoyed because he tried to join in their mucking around in an inappropriate way.
06-15-2008 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
icon Re: The Un-answerable Question (+1)  
Nothing is something as something is nothing, for there be a lack of existence, then there is nothing, this nothing exists, creating something.

There can not be nothing if there can not be something. So, the reason there is something instead of nothing is that nothing is something and thus not nothing, nothing is a non existent vacuum in which all existence is allowed to not exist and thus exist.

06-24-2008 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Snacko wrote:
Nothing is something as something is nothing, for there be a lack of existence, then there is nothing, this nothing exists, creating something.

There can not be nothing if there can not be something. So, the reason there is something instead of nothing is that nothing is something and thus not nothing, nothing is a non existent vacuum in which all existence is allowed to not exist and thus exist.
Or in other words... "Stuff happens."

06-24-2008 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Anything that happens, happens.

Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.

06-24-2008 at 08:31 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Que sera sera...

Can I just point out that the Anthropic Principle by no means indicates that "something must have witnessed creation", only that if something DID witness "creation", said creation must by definition have resulted in a situation condusive to the existence of the witness. Not that there was any sort of creation in the sense with which the word is commonly used - if there had been, the creator must itself have been created by some other at-least-as-complex entity, and so on ad infinitum. 's turtles all the way down.

06-24-2008 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Thus proving there is no God.

06-24-2008 at 09:15 PM
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
No, thus proving there is no creator. It's a completely different thing really.
06-25-2008 at 02:50 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I disagree with that. Nobody said that you had to be able to comprehend it.
06-25-2008 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
I read somewhere that God represents a being more powerful than anything else, thus if a being exists and is not God, there must be something more powerful than it. For God to create existence, he must have created his own existence. Take into account what Beefonthebone said, for something to exist while there was no existence would be something more powerful than God, thus the idea of God is flawed.

Of course my post simply took an idea that is equally flawed and ran with it which is fairly typical of my posts.

On a slightly related note, I think Tahnan beat the topic.

[Last edited by Snacko at 06-25-2008 11:22 PM]
06-25-2008 at 11:20 PM
calamarain
Just to derail things - the odds are that almost every single argument we could make for/against a supreme being has been made already :) Wikipedia has a collection of the major ones :)

06-26-2008 at 04:16 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Ah, but why is there Wikipedia instead of nothing?
06-26-2008 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Znirk wrote:
Ah, but why is there Wikipedia instead of nothing?
Because.

06-26-2008 at 12:06 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
But my dad said wikipedia doesn't exist!
06-26-2008 at 12:17 PM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : The Un-answerable Question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com