Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Lasers and rockets
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Varkarrus
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
IP: Logged
icon Lasers and rockets (0)  
Lasers would be spawned at a gun. It could be turned on and off by a yellow orb, and deflected 90 degrees if you hit it with your sword diagonally. No monster would step on it unwittingly (except golemns), but it could be deflected at a horde of roachlings. Also, mirrors.

Rockets would sit at a corner and would either go off if you wake it up like an eyeball (except it flies too fast for you to dodge) or it could be sent flying by a fuse. Either way, upon exploding it would act like a bomb.
02-23-2008 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: Lasers and rockets (0)  
You should spread your ideas of these requests a bit. That way, we can think about and reply about other ideas you have. If you just don't want to forget the idea, write it down somewhere on paper so you can give it later.

Rocket Idea:
This one is interesting. Can the rocket be deflected by a sword, or will it just fly straight and true? I'd say that upon impact with an object, it explodes in a 1x1 radius. Since it would impact on the far side of your sword, you would be safe. That's an interesting idea.

Laser Idea:
Why not a red orb? I think that only the smarter of creatures can avoid this, since a roach's tactic is to run at you, especially since a roach will run straight into wall, why should it avoid a deadly laser?

02-23-2008 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Varkarrus
Lasers: I think a yellow orb would be better, because a yellow orb can ALSO turn off walls. Also, seeing as a roach doesn't tread on your sword, I'm not sure about the lasers.

The rockets being blocked with your sword, hmmm...

I was thinking of making them more magic themed, so lasers would be more like statues that fire magic lasers, and the rockets... Roaches with Gunpowder Barrels?

Also, for traps, maybe an immedate pitfall. Step on it and it immediatly becomes a pit. Good for killing monsters, not good for walking on.

[Last edited by Varkarrus at 02-23-2008 11:06 PM]
02-23-2008 at 11:06 PM
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
There is no magic in DROD. Everything needs a reason, for the game to be flawlessly consistent.

02-24-2008 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Lasers and rockets (+1)  
Maybe it's a fire-powered laser. Though it would have to be a pretty powerful fire.

The 'immediate pitfall' idea got me thinking, as you could try to draw enemies onto them. But then, they have very little use otherwise. Unless enemies don't trip them, like trapdoors. Could work.

Also, Hi, Varkarrus! Welcome to DROD! :)

[Last edited by AtkinsSJ at 02-24-2008 12:02 PM]
02-24-2008 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Speaking of lasers, remember all those light manipulation elements in other games? Chromatron for example, or light puzzles in devil may cry 3? I am not saying we should copy them, but simply use as inspiration to create something of our own. Here's what I suggest:

White lasers - they are the non-harmful type and simply are beams of concentrated light. They produce little heat and can activate solar orbs (white orbs, that cannot be activated in any other way but act exactly the same way as conventional orbs). The laser emitter can be activated via orbs or pressure plates. Mirrors and Beethro's sword can deflect it 90 degrees (45 with mirrors? Honestly, I didn't play any holds with TCB, therefore my knowledge of mirrors is limited).

Red lasers - The second type of lasers, which produce a lot of heat on whatever object they shed... errr... themselves on. They can be activated and act the same as white lasers, except any monster or NPC or player can be killed if they are affected by this laser for five continuous turns. White orbs cannot be destroyed in this fashion.

Now, I do not know whether this idea was suggested in the past, but it has quite some puzzle potential (in my humble opinion). That is, if DROD absorbs entire array of additional elements that go along with lasers (redirectors, splitters, rotating elements, concentrators (can light fuses) etc.). And on top of that, a logical explanation in the Eighth can be found for this, so this idea doesn't break the flawless consistency.

Here are some puzzle ideas:
- Luring a roach to step on a pressure plate and force it stay there, because red laser illuminates that area, while at the same time escaping from goblins.
- Kill stalwarts to prevent them from killing golems, because they will block the white laser, or keep them to clear the next of the room?
- Rush to place mirrors in certain positions, because the red laser is making its way through tar an there are white orbs beyond (that close entrances).

I think these examples prove, that I am a poor architect :( Oh well, I tried.

02-24-2008 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
There can also be a token to change the types of lasers.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

04-03-2008 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
mxvladi wrote:
Actually, I don't think that lazers could be in the DRoD. I know that there're no even guys with guns there!.. And lazer...
No, lasers are spelt with an s. Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
04-04-2008 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Are... are you saying that 4chan has lied to me?

04-05-2008 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Lasers and rockets (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Are... are you saying that 4chan has lied to me?
Well, consider the generation of kids that think that combining beef and cheese and bread in a certain way makes a cheezburger.

04-05-2008 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
More importantly: CAN I HAS IT
04-06-2008 at 08:22 AM
Jatopian

File: DROD_IMMA_FIRIN_MAH_LAZER.JPG (7.5 KB)
Downloaded 504 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Lasers and rockets (+3)  

Modified aumtlich art used in forum post with permission of Caravel
Games (239533)

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-07-2008 12:54 AM : added pic]
04-07-2008 at 12:53 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645

this is my new favorite thread.

04-07-2008 at 07:35 AM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I doubt there can be any lasers in Eight, When they dont even have electricity
04-08-2008 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
13th Slayer wrote:

Who says they don't have any sort of electricity when you can clearly see a bolt coming out of a struck orb?

[Last edited by Timo006 at 04-08-2008 08:35 AM]
04-08-2008 at 08:35 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Timo006 wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:

Who says they don't have any sort of electricity when you can clearly see a bolt coming out of a struck orb?
I understand that's the abstracted depiction of the specific sound wave with a signature that activates the door mechanism.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-08-2008 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
mrimer wrote:
Timo006 wrote:
I understand that's the abstracted depiction of the specific sound wave with a signature that activates the door mechanism.
Wait, so you're saying that the portable orb is essentially a sort of Blue Box?

04-08-2008 at 10:40 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
Beethro: Don't worry, I can kill those hydra-whatsits for you.
04-08-2008 at 11:36 PM
Varkarrus
I already thought of an explanation for the yellow orbs: Pleizeiolectric charges.

Maybe the lasers are powered by an electricity producing tarstuff.
04-14-2008 at 01:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Lasers and rockets
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No