Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A cruel restriction (But you were all thinking along these lines, admit it!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon A cruel restriction (+1)  
Now, I don't really like this whole mod points business and try to ignore it as much as possible, but nevertheless.

How about tweaking it so that people with less than 10 rank points can't make new threads. Posts, yes, but not threads. It'll be doing us all a favor, really.

Thank you for your attention.

01-25-2008 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: A cruel restriction (0)  
It does sound like a good idea. There's been... quite a few incredibly pointless threads made over the last month or so.

[Last edited by calamarain at 01-25-2008 08:27 PM]
01-25-2008 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: A cruel restriction (+2)  
I think it would not make an effective enough filter to justify the confusion and perceived unfriendliness to newcomers. Bad post content can happen in a reply just as easily as a new topic. A lot of spambots have got reply spam down to a science now.

And newcomers often want to say something that is appropriate for a new topic. A reply-only-for-newcomers rule encourages off-topic replies to existing posts, i.e. "I know my question doesn't belong in this topic, but I can't ask in a new one."

I'm not saying there wouldn't be a little value to this, but I don't think it would be enough.

-Erik

01-25-2008 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
They do start with 10 points, right? It hasn't changed or something?

01-25-2008 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
We could just start them off at twenty, then the ten idea would work better.

I wish that man would stay away
01-25-2008 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Or move the restriction down to 5.

01-25-2008 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
The issue is not idiots. The issue is more spambots.

Although really, if you started at 9, couldn't make a topic below nine, and there was a topic in the Anything board called 'come here for a rank point' whereby some random passers-by would unload their extra mod points, then that might work. Because generally someone writing a spambot isn't going to bother programming it to post in a specific topic - it's much easier to find a better target somewhere else on the web.

Alternatively, the "sign up page" could require a simple uuid to be passed that is regenerated about once an hour. That way an auto-sign-up bot will fail, and will find some other forum to harass, rather than someone actually writing a bot that uses the form. The trick is to be unique - if you are at all different from the next forum, spambots don't adapt.
01-25-2008 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
What's the problem you're trying to solve here, exactly? Are you worried about spambots? (because I haven't noticed much of a problem lately).

Or are we just worried about new, not particularly clueful people starting pointless topics that we don't like?

If it's the former, I'm not sure I see the problem.

If it's the latter, I'm still not sure I see the problem. Let's continue to be a welcoming environment. Use your conceptual 'D' key.

Josh

01-25-2008 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: A cruel restriction (+1)  
For what it's worth, Admin currently only has 8 rank points, because he never contributes to the community, just takes credit for the hard work of others in every single thread he has ever posted. So yeah, this would stop his malicious credit hogging, and I'm all for it.

01-25-2008 at 09:40 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
There's no point trying to prevent idiots from posting. It doesn't work.

bash.org wrote:
<Khassaki> HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!
<Judge-Mental> try pressing the the Caps Lock key
<Khassaki> O THANKS!!! ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO WRITE NOW!!!!!!!
<Judge-Mental> **** me

Moral of the story: Idiots will be idiots. Resistance is futile.

Also, I admit it.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-25-2008 10:18 PM]
01-25-2008 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Generally, it is better to yourself put the content you want on the forum than to worry about others putting something you don't want there.

I'm not saying people were wrong to complain about bad posts here. I'm just saying if you go out and make good posts it helps the situation more than any other thing you can do.

-Erik

01-25-2008 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
coppro wrote:
The issue is not idiots. The issue is more spambots.
Well, you might say that is a separate issue that probably deserves different handling than low post quality from legitimate posters.
Although really, if you started at 9, couldn't make a topic below nine, and there was a topic in the Anything board called 'come here for a rank point' whereby some random passers-by would unload their extra mod points, then that might work. Because generally someone writing a spambot isn't going to bother programming it to post in a specific topic - it's much easier to find a better target somewhere else on the web.
Hmmmm.

You might be on to something there. What if we changed the "What Kind of Arnold Are You Post?" to be something a little more like a Turing test with a friendly welcoming theme. One up-mod to "11" would give people posting privileges (new and reply). Anybody could upmod or ask follow-up questions if they weren't sure.

A problem is that someone that gets downmodded to 10 or lower can't post, and has no way of correcting that except privately contacting people. That almost sounds good except that the system could be used by anyone to censor someone. I think spreading that power to everyone on the forum is going to create bad feelings when it is abused.

It might all work if getting downmodded back to 10 or lower didn't revoke posting privileges. But unlike the first change that requires forum coding work, which I try to avoid generating.

-Erik

01-25-2008 at 10:40 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
How about if they get down to 1 they can't post new threads or delete threads?

Also, agreement with previous post.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-25-2008 10:58 PM]
01-25-2008 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I agree with the low modpoint idea. Say if you're modded down to 3 or lower, you cannot create threads or delete old ones. It would save a lot of crap being flowed into the forum.

03-27-2008 at 03:27 PM
The spitemaster
What would also solve this problem is a time limit. If someone has below five rank points they are not allowed to post. They, however, will regain points one at a time every twenty-four hours until they got to five. That way they boards aren't flooded and people won't be left out in the cold. If this works I would also put a ten point limit for new posts and start people at fifteen points.

03-27-2008 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
The problem with "no new topic" is that old topics get cesspooled. All of the crap that would be in a new, shiny, ignorable topic goes into one that I may not want to ignore.

Seriously. If you see a topic that you don't like, hit the back button, click on the folder, and select ignore all posts. Subj.

03-27-2008 at 10:52 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I honestly don't think its worth the bother. People can post crap without making a new topic, and more likely than not they'll just bump up a old topic, which I'd find even more annoying than a poor quality topic.
03-28-2008 at 12:54 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Maybe there should be a "delete thread" and a "save thread" button for all members. These buttons would be available the first 24 hours after a thread is created. It would work like a small poll. If the number of people wanting to delete the thread gets high enough (e.G. >5) and the amount of people wanting to save the thread is low (below 33% of the delete-voters) it will be deleted after 24 hours. To avoid abuse this options should be only available to registered members with more than 50 rank points. The drawback is that this method is way too complex and a simple posting restriction would be more appropriate. The best way of dealing with crappy topics however would be to ignore them. If you don't like them, why are you still reading them?
03-28-2008 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Another problem with restricting people is people may just make new accounts.

03-28-2008 at 04:22 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Many people (self included) don't vote on Holds. I am NOT going to rate each individual thread.

03-28-2008 at 09:40 PM
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
We have ignore thread and ignore board. Next up: ignore user. It works in chat, why not here? It could even be set with an expire date to see if the people get better or if you want to renew the time saving feature. You should be able to see the number of people who are ignoring you on your profile tab so you can see how dumb you are if you are getting better.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 03-30-2008 06:48 AM : Oh, and if you disagree, feel free to ignore me.]
03-30-2008 at 06:47 AM
Jatopian
But then we'll get asshats who never take anyone off ignore.

03-30-2008 at 06:12 PM
Beef Row
Jatopian wrote:
But then we'll get asshats who never take anyone off ignore.

Also, goodbye Thread Continuity, as you get two or three people who've all mutually ignored each other replying in the same thread, and only seeing each other in other people's responses.

Especially if they ignored each other BECAUSE of the content of the thread. (Imagine the unlimited undo debate, or the 'sniping' debate with half the people not even able to read half the other people).

03-30-2008 at 11:43 PM
Jatopian
Beef Row wrote:
(Imagine the unlimited undo debate, or the 'sniping' debate with half the people not even able to read half the other people).
That would be hilarious!
I mean terrible. That would be terrible.

03-30-2008 at 11:59 PM
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
Beef Row wrote:
Also, goodbye Thread Continuity, as you get two or three people who've all mutually ignored each other replying in the same thread, and only seeing each other in other people's responses.
You'd still be able to see ignored people's responses, it just wouldn't trigger the thread or board to turn red. Just like ignore thread still moves it to the top and you can read it if you want. It just doesn't call it to your attention.

03-31-2008 at 01:03 AM
Beef Row
Dolan42 wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
You'd still be able to see ignored people's responses, it just wouldn't trigger the thread or board to turn red. Just like ignore thread still moves it to the top and you can read it if you want. It just doesn't call it to your attention.

Hmm, thats not nearly as hilarible as it sounded, but also seems sort of pointless.

03-31-2008 at 03:50 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2336
I think that whenever you read a post that has been modded down, it should automatically start ignoring that person.
03-31-2008 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Someone Else wrote:
I think that whenever you read a post that has been modded down, it should automatically start ignoring that person.

Modded down.

03-31-2008 at 08:03 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Beef Row wrote:
Hmm, thats not nearly as hilarible as it sounded, but also seems sort of pointless.
Well, usually the "Ignore user" feature is implemented kinda like the "secret" blocks here: it shows "User is ignored" or somthing like that and provides you with a "View message" button that will display the message anyway - so it'll keep the noise down, but you can still read messages from ignored users if neccessary.

IMHO it's a great feature for ignoring trolls (which are a rare commodity here, mind you) and filtering out users that cause continuous headdesking due to their sheer incompetency.

Believe me, a desk (and/or a head) is a terrible thing to waste...

03-31-2008 at 09:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A cruel restriction (But you were all thinking along these lines, admit it!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com