Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Mysteries Of The Deep (Easy-To-Hard, with a nice story to cover it with.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (36 votes)
σ 1.62
Author Name:Jeff
Submitted By:Jeff_Ray...
Hold Name:Mysteries Of The Deep
Theme:Easy-To-Hard, with a nice story to cover it with.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:19
Number of Rooms:241
Number of Monsters:3256
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+5 / -1)
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (0)  
I think that, in general, re-closing a green door by creating a new tarstuff baby isn't considered a backtracking problem for the architect. I think it's considered a "well, then don't do that" problem for the player.
10-05-2008 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I was unaware of this consensus, Tahnan... when was it reached?

10-05-2008 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jatopian wrote:
I was unaware of this consensus, Tahnan... when was it reached?
Hey, I'm not a Hold Admin; I'm not speaking officially; I prefaced my remarks with "I think". I could be wrong. (To clarify a modifier: when I said it's considered "in general", I didn't mean "most people consider these situations...", I meant "people consider most of these situations", which is a little less suggestive of "consensus", though I am still generalizing about people.)

It's simply my impression: speaking as an optimizer, one of the first things I check when I enter a room with tarstuff in it is whether there's a green door on the far side of the room I can enter onto; many rooms take hundreds of moves to hack through to a tar mother from the "right" entrance, but only a handful from the "wrong" entrance. So, insofar as I check that, I--and again, I'm speaking impressionistically here--often see a green door that's a space into the room, instead of on the edge, to prevent the player from exactly that kind of maneuver.

My reason for believing this isn't really considered a backtracking problem is that (a) it's common and (b) it's 100% clear to the player that backtracking won't be possible there. (Take a look at L9: 1N2W, which is the room I assume he meant, since 2N1W doesn't have a northern exit. There's no question at all that, if you leave this room to the north with a tar baby still alive, you're not coming back south through it.)

EDIT: after posting, I realized we're probably better off discussing the general question, as opposed to the hold-specific question, elsewhere. I've posted in Architecture, which is a better place to discuss whether this really is a backtracking issue.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 10-05-2008 07:17 PM]
10-05-2008 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Johno758
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (+1)  
After playing DROD for quite a few years, including completing all the official releases, this has been by far the most enjoyable hold I have played. Everything has been possible without having to resort to thinking too far 'outside the box'. It is close to the original DROD but includes all the newer elements

EXTREMELY PLAYABLE - I might even do it again just for the hell of it :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
03-23-2009 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
I'm absolutely crushed by you saying that not thinking 'outside the box' is a good thing. Please play larrymurk's hold of the same name, and you will see why.

Nothing against the hold, of course, Mysteries of the Deep is great.

03-24-2009 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Please play larrymurk's hold of the same name, and you will see why.

But that's a terrible hold?
03-24-2009 at 07:06 AM
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
What? Think Outside the Box is great- if you don't believe me, look at the rating.

03-24-2009 at 09:45 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
> anyone on this forum
> downvoting a larrymurk hold regardless of quality
:|
03-25-2009 at 12:29 AM
sureideas
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (+1)  
admin wrote:
The hold is finally avaible, after all the pain and evenings I spent for this hold.

For the credits, finish the hold. :)

Have fun!

-Jeff_ray===

Good job. I gave you 6. I still have some minor issues with it but I know I love it.
Any update coming Jeff??
03-25-2009 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Updates to holds are extremely rare nowadays. We (the Hold Administrators) consider the holds board to be a place for published works. We try not to give second editions.

Jeff does have a large hold in the works in the Architecture board, entitled Homeward Adventure, if you want to go check that out. He also has a couple of other published holds, which you can find currently listed in his signature.

03-25-2009 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Unfortunately, once submitted, a hold usually isn't updated for highscore purposes.

Boy you got a signature fast. Like it's the first thing you did. :?

I mean, :hi to the forums!...

:fish

EDIT: Post collllllllision owch

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-25-2009 03:28 AM]
03-25-2009 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kwakstur wrote:
Boy you got a signature fast. Like it's the first thing you did. :?
Just look at his homepage, and you'll notice it's just another Make Greckles Fast(TM) spammer.

What a waste of perfectly good mod points... :(

03-25-2009 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (+2)  
This was a very well-polished hold. I spread it out over quite a while so hopefully I haven't forgotten too much about the beginning.

The pros:
It has good difficulty progression and a fairly decent mechanic for explaining new concepts (Architect notes) and then giving plenty of practice in those concepts. Making a progression in difficulty is hard enough so kudos there.
It also had good puzzles, some of the last ones I found myself scratching my head a little bit, but not enough to be frustrating. It had a coherent storyline that followed all the way through the hold. The scripting was great as were the end credits. Nicely done there.

The cons:
Toward the end I felt like too many checkpoints had been left out. Some of the rooms would have been less frustrating with at least one checkpoint. There were a few rooms that had unintentional solutions but I don't care so much about that.

Personally (though this doesn't go into my hold rating), I felt the ending to the story was extremely weak.
Click here to view the secret text

All in all, a very good hold and one that I would recommend to beginners who want a decent explanation of the basic game mechanics while getting practice with those concepts.

10-19-2011 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Mysteries Of The Deep (Easy-To-Hard, with a nice story to cover it with.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com