Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Challenges. (Not the contest for September.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Director of Department of Challenges. (0)  
We need a second director. This is the Director of the Department of Challenges we are talking about. What does this department do?

* Generally, promotes the challenging of forumites. Challenge is meant in a broad sense, where the abilities of a person are tested, hopefully in some fun or rewarding way.

* Coordinates the official contests. (A combination of positions are involved here, with the Director not directly making contest decisions necessarily.)

* Encourages and helps with the creation of unofficial contests, games, and DROD challenges (you know--the challenges on the Challenges board).

* Finds other obscure, yet not annoying, ways that forumites may be challenged. Challenge your preconceived notions? Challenge you to a duel? Challenge your use of the word "irregardless"?

The Director position is up for election. What does the Director do? It is listed here:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17260

At this point, I would like people who are interested in running to announce their candidacy. People who care about the outcome should probably interview the candidates here too. This is not the official contest for September. That is coming up shortly from another source.

Also, while I'm at it, I'll say that we really need a Registrar. The Registrar updates one topic with an official list of who is holding what position. Also, he safegaurds against position appointments that don't meet objective qualifications. It's not too hard of a job, and should be interesting to some people. This is a Meta-Office position that doesn't fall under any department. If you want to be a Registrar, send me an e-mail at erikh@caravelgames.com. We're not doing an election for that job.

-Erik

09-22-2007 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Director of Department of Challenges. (0)  
I would like to run for the Director of the Dept of Challenges. I am already involved in the Dept of Grand Constructions doing voicefinding and artfinding and I'd like to take on more responsibility.

I have run two reasonably successful contests (based on an idea of vittros) and I think I'd do a good job of challenging the forum members. I've done one fully voice acted hold (Witherwood Castle) already and a second is in beta.

And I promise to try to keep things interesting, challenging and active :) I've started this with various puzzles and mindgames on the Forum Games and would definitely like to continue.

09-22-2007 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I am officially announcing my candidacy for the position.

My platform is to make running contests more accessible, especially for organizers (for instance, I'd like to see a way that someone can get advice on a contest, and some easy way for someone to get mod points as prizes), and to improve the popularity of our near-derelict Challenges board.
09-22-2007 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
As someone who's about to volunteer for the Registrar position, I should probably point to the meta-rules:
* A single person may hold multiple positions, but those positions must all be in one department or in the Meta-Office, which is technically not a department.
I'm not sure how that works in practice though; does someone stand for a director job and then find a replacement for their previous position(s) if they win, or does holding a position in one department disqualify them from applying for a position in another? The former option seems like a better idea for encouraging participation, but risks someone straddling departments for a while if they have trouble finding a replacement.
09-22-2007 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Hmmm. I'd think that covering multiple depts is a good idea - prevents the depts breaking into being isolated little cliques, but if the rules say that I can't do it, then I'll step down.

09-22-2007 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
I believe it's the former, since Erik also allowed for campaigning for multiple Directorial positions, provided you only actually took one.
09-22-2007 at 04:59 AM
calamarain
coppro wrote:
I believe it's the former, since Erik also allowed for campaigning for multiple Directorial positions, provided you only actually took one.
Mmmmm. The thing is that there's overlap. Constructions and challenges - take the Limited Space competitions as an example. But yeah, I happen to quite enjoy voice acting and artwork, so unless I can hold both positions, I withdraw my candidacy and just stick with the work I'm doing for Constructions. :)

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-22-2007 05:12 AM]
09-22-2007 at 05:11 AM
coppro
Is anyone else running, or will I be elected by acclamation? I mean, I want the position, but the election is part of the fun!
09-23-2007 at 07:39 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I would run, but I already have a position, and other DROD related projects, so I'm not going for another one.
09-23-2007 at 07:48 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
And I would also run, but since I never actually held a contest(just had an idea), I doubt I would have any chance of winning.
09-23-2007 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
I haven't actually run a contest, official or otherwise!

I've run a contest-like game, and won a contest, but at no point was I running a contest!
09-23-2007 at 08:15 PM
calamarain
:P I'd run, but as I said above, I'm not allowed to do that *and* keep the voice/artfinding positions.

09-23-2007 at 10:20 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Tell me, why exactly does the Director of Challenges need to have architecture experience?
09-24-2007 at 08:41 AM
Dex Stewart
He doesn't. But it does help if he organized a contest or a forum game beforehand.

And Erike: Might I ask what the deadline is for submitting? I'm still undecided about participating and would like to know how much time I have left to think.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 09-24-2007 10:03 AM]
09-24-2007 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
calamarain wrote:
But yeah, I happen to quite enjoy voice acting and artwork, so unless I can hold both positions, I withdraw my candidacy and just stick with the work I'm doing for Constructions. :)
Sorry, Cal, you have to stick with one department (positions in Meta-Office don't count).

-Erik

09-24-2007 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
NiroZ wrote:
Tell me, why exactly does the Director of Challenges need to have architecture experience?
I think you're referring to the positions qualifications, which unfortunately, weren't correct. I copy-and-pasted from the other Grand Constructions Director position without making all the appropriate changes for the Challenges department. I've now fixed the qualifications. They are:

* Has been a member of the Caravel Forum for at least six months.
* Has participated in at least two contests or games.

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-18-2008 05:37 AM]
09-24-2007 at 06:08 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
ErikH2000 wrote:
calamarain wrote:
But yeah, I happen to quite enjoy voice acting and artwork, so unless I can hold both positions, I withdraw my candidacy and just stick with the work I'm doing for Constructions. :)
Sorry, Cal, you have to stick with one department (positions in Meta-Office don't count).

I think it's worth noting that there's nothing saying you need to be 'in charge' in order to have an effect or do work. The Director of Challenges will presumably want as much input and assistance as s/he can get, even from people in other departments. Heck, maybe we should be trying to figure out a good cross-department activity once there are actually two active departments...

Josh

09-24-2007 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Dex Stewart wrote:
And Erike: Might I ask what the deadline is for submitting? I'm still undecided about participating and would like to know how much time I have left to think.
I think I'll run the poll next weekend.

-Erik

09-24-2007 at 06:13 PM
ErikH2000
Or I should say, I'll run the poll this weekend.

-Erik

09-24-2007 at 06:14 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Director of Department of Challenges. (+1)  
After a bit of thought (I was initially wanting a Meta-Office positions), I've decided to throw my name into the ring for Director of Challenges.

"But Patrick!", you may ask, "You quit Chief Editor because you didn't have time to do it. What makes you think I should vote for you?"

Simply put - I was wrong. Working ten hours a day (Or should I say night) and sleeping for another ten still leaves me with fours hours in which I can do absolutely anything I want. And, seeing as my apartment is too small to do any actual hobbies, organizing a department of the Caravel Bureaucracy is my only option.

What can I bring to the position that my opponent(s) don't have?

*Experience in management qualities: As a manager in real life, I will easily be able to motivate people in my department while still being able to keep things fun and pleasent.

*Experience in running contests: As a veteran of running Caravel contests (I have three under my belt), I know about all the stresses and problems that can arise from them. I want to work with the contest coordinator to make sure all contests go smoothly and exactly as planned.

*A solumn guarantee to ensure that skills required in a contest are varied: Right now, the vast majority of contests are hold-building contests, and since I know everyone isn't a masterful architect, so I want to balance out contests of writing skills, graphical skills, playing skills, and building skills.

*New experiences: I would like to try and promote additional challenges into the forum as well. Some will be rewarded, some won't. Initial ideas I've had have been along the ideas of the various rewards the bar gave out - clever puzzles with a simple prize.

*An injection of new life into the Challenges board: We almost had a respawn of life with the Optimize This! threads. An action plan needs to be made to get it back up to scale.

All in all, it is my intent to improve the morale of the forum as well as ensure that the department is run to the best of my abilities.

09-24-2007 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mr. Fisher of Men, I have a question. If you have four hours per day, why was there that long stagnant period in which you hadn't resigned and nothing got updated? And aren't you forgetting time for things like consumption, house(apartment)work, hygiene, and most importantly DROD?

09-25-2007 at 01:13 AM
ErikH2000
Jatopian wrote:
Mr. Fisher of Men, I have a question. If you have four hours per day, why was there that long stagnant period in which you hadn't resigned and nothing got updated? And aren't you forgetting time for things like consumption, house(apartment)work, hygiene, and most importantly DROD?
It's a reasonable question, J, and I suspect you're asking in a joking spirit, but let me add a few thoughts here...

* Patrick did a lot of work on the site for a long time. He was a very responsible guy and he's got nothing to apologize for.

* In the Bureaucracy, it's okay to be bored of one job and switch to another. Guilt-free resignation is a major benefit of the new system. As long as you do the work of getting your replacement appointed before going, you can leave a position for any reason you want.

I myself have a hard time getting free of a feeling of guilt when all the different things I have to do pile up. Then I get depressed and I really don't want to work anything. If people are volunteering their time for free, I want them to go about things with a light spirit. If you aren't having fun, pass the baton.

-Erik

09-25-2007 at 04:02 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, there's a whole side list of reasons as to why I resigned as well. Time was what I believed to be the greatest issue, but it turned out that it legitimately wasn't. I think for the most part, it was that I had simply become bored with it, and I knew that the website needed fresh blood to move forward.

And I'll remind you as well - I still get some entire days off as well (It sadly usually only works out to about 7 a month. Total requirements of the position for time are 4 hours a month - I can deal with that.

09-25-2007 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I myself have a few questions for the candidates...

As the Director, you have the option of appointing yourself to other positions in the Department. Perhaps the most influential position other than Director would be the Contest Coordinator. Would you take over the Contest Coordinator position and perform its duties along with Directorial duties?

If not, how would you choose your Contest Coordinator and interact with him?

For more information on the two positions, check out the Required Positions topic for the Department of Challenges.

-Erik

09-25-2007 at 04:06 AM
Dex Stewart
Were I to become a Director, I think I would also be Contest Coordinator and would organize things pretty much the same way they are right now, that is, a submission topic(since it's easier then e-mail) in which people can post ideas. I would then discuss each idea with whoever posted it through PMs, until it's either good enough that it can become an Official Contest or we decide that is should be abandoned because it would be impossible to fit in the guidelines described here (with accent on "Doesn't sound fun" and "Too much contestant commitment").

Were I to become Director, but not choose to be a Contest Coordinator, I would simply advise the CC to contact me whenever he feels that he needs any judgement other than his own. I would also throw one look over each contest, to sort out any flaws that might have miraculously gotten through.
09-25-2007 at 08:06 AM
NiroZ
ErikH2000 wrote:
I think you're referring to the positions qualifications, which unfortunately, weren't correct. I copy-and-pasted from the other Grand Constructions Director position without making all the appropriate changes for the Challenges department. I've now fixed the qualifications. They are:

* Has been a member of the CaravelNet forum for at least six months.
* Has participated in at least two contests or games.

-Erik
Hmmm, having now participated and run contests, I'd have to say participating in 2 contests isn't enough to gain some insight into the contest running process. (I know I didn't)
It's not too much to ask that the director have at least one unofficial contest under their belt, is it?

Now candidates, tell me. Would you stick to contests and the challenges board, or go beyond that? If so, what would you do?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-25-2007 10:50 AM]
09-25-2007 at 08:51 AM
Dex Stewart
NiroZ wrote:
Now contestants, tell me. Would you stick to contests and the challenges board, or go beyond that? If so, what would you do?

First of all, if I may nit-pick, it's not "contestants" but "candidates". This is most definitely not a contest(even though there are a number of people who all want to achieve something, but only one can do so).

Now to address your inquiry.
I would not limit my activities to the contests and challenges board, were I Director. The main thing I would do outside those boards would be to revive "tag" games from time to time, when I feel it's appropriate to do so, that is, when I feel the forum games board is becoming inactive/useless/boring. Of course, I would try to choose a "tag" game that is likely to appeal to people, thus not "Tag thread quote "tag"" or something like it(Although said thread was brilliant at the time).
I would also try minor "by-the-way" style chellenges like Mattcrampy did here with all those three letter acronyms.
And one more thing. I realized that it's an excellent idea to post small riddles/games like calamarain and Maurog did recently, so I think I shall do that too. Naturally, when it comes to riddles, I will not only post for the Einsteins out there. There will be something for everybody.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 09-25-2007 10:17 PM]
09-25-2007 at 09:24 AM
coppro
ErikH2000 wrote:
I myself have a few questions for the candidates...

As the Director, you have the option of appointing yourself to other positions in the Department. Perhaps the most influential position other than Director would be the Contest Coordinator. Would you take over the Contest Coordinator position and perform its duties along with Directorial duties?

I would definitely not pick myself for this position, primarily because I do not meet the requirements. If I did, however, I think that I still wouldn't pick myself. I'd want to give everyone fair chance at every position, and so in order to choose the Contest Coordinator, I'd have to look at the qualities that each person had, and the quality of the contests they'd run. Some contests were more of a hit than others. Since the Contest Coordinator has the final say as to what official contests are run, it's important that he has a very good idea of what contests are popular - I don't want to have to do emergency sackings. I myself am not really good at that, since I'm not that great at architecture contests, and would probably downplay them significantly (although that may be a fresh new opinion that the board needs). I also want someone reliable - since the Contest Coordinator requires a lot of planning, I want someone capable of doing things in the long range (another skill which I am hopelessly short in.).

To pick a Coordinator, I'd probably run through all of the old contests, tap a few shoulders, and if that doesn't work, take applications from people with the qualifications.
NiroZ wrote:
Now candidates, tell me. Would you stick to contests and the challenges board, or go beyond that? If so, what would you do?
I can't really know yet. To a large degree, it depends on how many people are willing to take posts. I would prioritize the Contests and Challenges board (in that order). If I were to expand outside those two boards, I would probably look to the Forum Games board. While I don't want to sound like I'm stealing Dex's idea (I'm not), it would be my job to challenge people, and in many cases, the Forum Games board is the best place to do that. I also think that some plotting with the DoOD could be productive, as something like a forum scavenger hunt would fall between both departments, and departmental cooperation would definitely increase the fun (especially since jobs in the DoOD are probably the most fun, and people in other departments wouldn't want to be left out). I'd also encourage people in H&S not to reveal the entire solution from the get-go, but I wouldn't regulate it, as there doesn't seem to be that much of a problem with that, and I want to remain in spirit with the Bureaucracy (you shouldn't have to use the bureaucracy, but you can if you want).
09-25-2007 at 11:05 PM
gamer_extreme_101
ErikH2000 wrote:
The only points in time in which I would perform the duties of the Contest Coordinator would be if there was a period between people. I feel that position is both vital and too daunting of a task to have combined with all of the other tasks a director needs to complete.
I would probably shoulder-tap someone into power. Because of the guidelines that need to be met, only a few people qualify for the position. Of them, I can personally see at least two of them being excellent candidates for the position. I would ask my favorite, and if that person declined, I would ask the other. Failing that, I would probably beg either the Registrar or the Tinkerer to see if I could get someone who hadn't run that many contests, but is strong in the community, and shoulder-tap someone from there.

As for interaction, assuming the person is one of the two people who had run contests before, all I would ask is that all ideas are finalized with me before the contest runner is notified to ensure that my promise of contest skill equilibrium is kept. If the person I hired had little experience, I would work with that person to help them understand the pains and perils that a contest holds for them (Presumably by letting them run the first contest under the new system). Once they have a good idea of what needs to be run, all I'll ask of them again is to let me finalize all contest to ensure skill equilibrium in contests.

09-26-2007 at 05:40 PM
NiroZ
Ok, I’ve given this a lot of though, and although I don’t have the Technical abilities of Coppro, or the level of management training and experience that Patrick has, I feel that I still have something to offer this community in the role of Director of Challenges.

Why? First of all, I already have a lineup of 3 contests, 2 of them half written up already. Not to mention 1 or 2 other ideas that I’ve been toying around with. None of them are Architecture contests, and I must admit that even though I have committed this grievous sin in the past, I too feel that there should be more variety. But I have much more to offer than simply contests.

For the Challenges board, I will set about creating a new position to focus on the Challenges board and work with them to reinvent this board. Personally, I don’t see how simply revitalising the Challenges board would be successful, as the Highscores have rendered this board more or less obsolete.

Outside of these two boards, I believe that the Department of Challenges still has a role. Whilst it would be nice to rework the Forum Games board to allow some to play mummies and daddies while not getting in the way of those who which to have a serious round of scrabble or chess, I’m not going to make promises on the subject.

I also believe that it should be part of the Department of Challenges goal to increase interaction between the departments. Currently I have an idea for creating a contest that forces all the departments to contribute and interact with each other, although I’d be holding that on ice until all the departments are created and had a bit of time to sort themselves out. I’d also be interested in creating a ‘Grand Debate’ of sorts with the Department of Emotional Services, as it would be interesting to see a discussion with safeguards to increase forum activities without the flaming that often results. Yes, the role of Arbiter would probably take care of that, but I have no idea what is happening with that position, or even which department it would be in.

ErikH2000 wrote As the Director, you have the option of appointing yourself to other positions in the Department. Perhaps the most influential position other than Director would be the Contest Coordinator. Would you take over the Contest Coordinator position and perform its duties along with Directorial duties?
As I hinted above, I would run the first few contests. Whist doing this, I would be making a list of possible candidates. After my third contest, I would by then announce who I have decided should take the role of Contest Coordinator, or if there are multiple candidates at that point, start an election. But should I be unable to find a candidate, or one that is available and interested, I would carry on the role myself. On second thought, I will be looking for a Contest Coordinator ASAP and use the contests I already have as a buffer to ease the coordinator into the role.

Any other questions? I think I’ve already answered my own.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-27-2007 05:45 AM]
09-27-2007 at 05:06 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Challenges. (Not the contest for September.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com