Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Advice sought from computer wizards
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
IP: Logged
icon Re: Advice sought from computer wizards (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
17 MB - that's why!! :w00t

Many thanks Jason, but downloading that would take until the middle of next week! :D
Mozilla will sell you a Firefox CD, but the shipping is exorbitant. Perhaps someone could burn you a CD and mail it to you?
09-18-2007 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Advice sought from computer wizards (+2)  
kzc wrote:
Elfstone wrote:
17 MB - that's why!! :w00t

Many thanks Jason, but downloading that would take until the middle of next week! :D
Mozilla will sell you a Firefox CD, but the shipping is exorbitant. Perhaps someone could burn you a CD and mail it to you?

If Elfstone is comfortable with that sort of thing (as I'm not sure if she wants to give people a physical address or not), and nobody else can do it for her first, then once I get my next paycheck on the 7th (as money is tight this month; had to buy schoolbooks and camera gear for classes that start on monday), I will personally burn her a CD with OSX Firefox, and any other software that anyone thinks she might need, and send it overseas to her. :)

[Last edited by Hikari at 09-19-2007 05:55 AM]
09-19-2007 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Advice sought from computer wizards (+2)  
If I may make a counterproposal - I live in the UK and if Elfstone is comfortable giving her real address, I can post a CD to her more easily and cheaper :)

09-19-2007 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Advice sought from computer wizards (0)  
Hikari wrote:
If Elfstone is comfortable with that sort of thing (as I'm not sure if she wants to give people a physical address or not), and nobody else can do it for her first, then once I get my next paycheck on the 7th (as money is tight this month; had to buy schoolbooks and camera gear for classes that start on monday), I will personally burn her a CD with OSX Firefox, and any other software that anyone thinks she might need, and send it overseas to her. :)

calamarain wrote
If I may make a counterproposal - I live in the UK and if Elfstone is comfortable giving her real address, I can post a CD to her more easily and cheaper

That is so very kind of both of you :kiss and I appreciate the offers very much.

I am coming to the conclusion though that I would be well advised to wait a month or so before I do anything else about this. By then the repairs to my road should be complete and the BT line upgraded and I will at long last have broadband, which should make all of this much easier. I have also over the last couple of nights (between rugby games ;) ) been looking at ISPs and what they offer in terms of webhosting and I may be about to change my ISP in line with what I have discovered.

( . . and by the way I would not have allowed either of you dear gentlemen to be out of pocket; I would have found a way of refunding you - it is more than enough kindness that you would make the CD for me.)

09-19-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Elfstone wrote:
Hikari wrote:

calamarain wrote
If I may make a counterproposal - I live in the UK and if Elfstone is comfortable giving her real address, I can post a CD to her more easily and cheaper

That is so very kind of both of you :kiss and I appreciate the offers very much.

I am coming to the conclusion though that I would be well advised to wait a month or so before I do anything else about this. By then the repairs to my road should be complete and the BT line upgraded and I will at long last have broadband, which should make all of this much easier. I have also over the last couple of nights (between rugby games ;) ) been looking at ISPs and what they offer in terms of webhosting and I may be about to change my ISP in line with what I have discovered.

( . . and by the way I would not have allowed either of you dear gentlemen to be out of pocket; I would have found a way of refunding you - it is more than enough kindness that you would make the CD for me.)
Okie dokie. Once you get broadband, even if it's the worst one they offer, it should be more than enough to download Firefox or anything like that. Even my first broadband was about 5 times the speed of dialup, and I don't think you can actually get broadband that slow anymore.

It's kinda cool :) Technology marches on. I just wish I had my work internet connection at home! It's the unversity's network, 100Mbit... so the word is definitely ZOOM! :)

09-20-2007 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
calamarain wrote:
Even my first broadband was about 5 times the speed of dialup, and I don't think you can actually get broadband that slow anymore.
I accidentally looked at an American ISP's plans once, and it seems that that speed is standard "broadband" in America. I hear large swaths of the place are too rural to even get high-speed access, unless it's by satellite for exorbitant prices.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-20-2007 10:14 PM]
09-20-2007 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Jatopian wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Even my first broadband was about 5 times the speed of dialup, and I don't think you can actually get broadband that slow anymore.
I accidentally looked at an American ISP's plans once, and it seems that that speed is standard "broadband" in America. I hear large swaths of the place are too rural to even get high-speed access, unless it's by satellite for exorbitant prices.
Suddenly I am very very glad I'm living in the UK.

09-20-2007 at 11:56 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
What sort of speeds are we discussing here? I think I'm on a 4 or 5 Mbps, which seems pretty standard here (but in Canada, it varies significantly by province. I can't think of any nationwide telecoms offhand.)
09-21-2007 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
100 Mbps here. Yay!

[Last edited by Monkey at 09-21-2007 10:59 PM]
09-21-2007 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
I'm currently at college (Whoot 10Mbps), but back home in Colorado, I was on dialup until about 18 months ago. and half-speed dialup for that. So I was downloading at a horrendous 28.8 Kbps, which means I was getting 1 megabyte every 9 minutes. It was certainly painful, and all due to a choice by the telephone companies, long ago, when they put in our telephone wires, to split the wires so they carried double the number of phones. It was cheaper than putting in full wires to the whole neighborhood, but ... well yeah. I'm glad those days are no longer, and my house has 1.5 Mbps broadband.

09-21-2007 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
The little icon in the corner says I'm running at 54 mbps, which means most of my download needs are well taken care of, as well as that with no phone tangling I'm hard pressed to get away from my computer. Beware the addiction of DSL! ;)
09-21-2007 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'm on 24 Mbs in London (for 24 quid a month - and I keep my BT line). It sure beats dialup :)

As far as I'm aware they (Be Unlimited) only operate in central London and some suburbs at the moment though, but they're spreading.
09-21-2007 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
I'm on 24 Mbs in London (for 24 quid a month - and I keep my BT line). It sure beats dialup :)
8megabits/second here ain't too shabby either... yay for cable. :)

np: Mike Shannon - Miyako (Possible Conclusions To Stories That Never End)

09-21-2007 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
BDR wrote:
The little icon in the corner says I'm running at 54 mbps, which means most of my download needs are well taken care of, as well as that with no phone tangling I'm hard pressed to get away from my computer. Beware the addiction of DSL! ;)
Monkey wrote:
100 Mbps here. Yay!
Odds are good that's your LAN connection speed, since I've never heard of a connection that good being commonly available, and also 54 Mbps and 100 Mbps are the highest speeds for 802.11g and a standard Ethernet connection, respectively.
09-22-2007 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
I have to agree with the others re: flash..

Also, I get the "you need flash blah blah" message, even though I do have flash installed.

ho hum.

If you want a different host, I have 3 servers that I pay for (well, donations via the forums I host pay for them) - and I can host you for free.

No adverts, no bandwidth limits etc.

I have all the usual stuff, mysql, php5, but I don't have any 'sitebuilder' software.

On this vein, does anyone know of a free 'sitebuilder'-type thingie for unix that I can install ? I have seen various CMS type-things, but they don't really seem to help non-techies design web sites.... CMS-made-simple ( http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/ ) seems to be the best I've seen in this regard, yet I haven't had a proper look at it yet.

09-24-2007 at 11:30 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Advice sought from computer wizards
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com