Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any celebritys?
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged
icon Any celebritys? (0)  
Is there any celebritys on the forum? You don't have to be as famous as Gwen Stefani or Justin Timberlake. If you're in a radio show, has taken some minor rolls in movies/theatres or something else that makes you a little famous. I can say myself that I've with help of 3 other people has entertained 800 people for about ten minutes. In a schoolshow though... It's not much at all, but always something. Have you guys done anything like that? Oh! And by the way. I know that there can be members of this forum who are pretty famous but don't want to tell anyone. The attention you're getting in real life is maybe enough. So if you are Jim Carrey for instance and has gone shopping and has to stop now and then to write autographs to people, when you come home you want some quiet time without the attention of many people. So you just want to sit at home with your beloved DROD community and TCB. And you have maybe seen a celebrity and wants to share it with everyone. I have in fact seen Johan Rheborg in a trenchcoat on the streets of Stockholm. He is one of Swedens most famous comedians and is on TV quite often. He was talking on the phone and covering his face so nobody should recognise him when I saw him.

06-27-2007 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Any celebritys? (0)  
....Chances are that if someone is considered a celebrity by normal people, he/she is not considered worth attention by people with a brain (P**** H****n, for instance). So I doubt it.

06-27-2007 at 07:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Any celebritys? (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
....Chances are that if someone is considered a celebrity by normal people, he/she is not considered worth attention by people with a brain (P**** H****n, for instance). So I doubt it.

In other news, it is clear that someone spoke the dread words,
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh P'rrhsgn Hgh'ltohn P'rieson wgah'nagl fhtagn!

06-27-2007 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
I think you're overstating things, Jatopian; normal people obsess over all the tabloid rumors while the people who are focused on more intellectually challenging issues don't, but when somebody like Morgan Freeman stars in a new movie, those who enjoy his films pay attention (given that said new movie has things they'd either want to or not mind watching anyway).

Perhaps it'd be better stated as "People with a brain don't consider celebrity doings the end-all-be-all thing like some people do." I'd still find it pretty notable if Jim Carrey showed up here for some reason, even though I have no idea what he's been having for breakfast lately or what that might mean for his relationships.

[Last edited by BDR at 06-27-2007 08:43 AM]
06-27-2007 at 08:40 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Hey, it was exciting when Phil Donahue came to the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament this year. (Note: he places #642 out of 698.) Heck, if Paris Hilton reads this forum, I'd be genuinely fascinated to know that. It'd give her added depth, i.e. some depth.

I, of course, am world-famous throughout Arlington, MA.
06-27-2007 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Tahnan wrote:
Heck, if Paris Hilton reads, I'd be genuinely fascinated to know that.

Fixed

06-27-2007 at 09:37 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Any celebritys? (+1)  
hee hee hee. Oh Beef Row thank you. I love starting the day off with a laugh. Laughed for about a minute straight, felt a bit bad for laughing, laughed some more. Brilliant.

On topic: I am famous for my Banana's Foster and Tuscan Chicken. I can also do that triple curl thing with my tongue. Think I can get on Letterman?

[Last edited by noma at 06-27-2007 01:28 PM]
06-27-2007 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
noma wrote:
I can also do that triple curl thing with my tongue. Think I can get on Letterman?
I think you can [MESSAGE REDACTED FOR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT].

(Sorry, sorry, sorry. Someone had to.)
06-27-2007 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Pneh, I am, as Tahnan said, "world famous" locally, having been involved in conducting Musical Shows and choirs and orchestras and so on.

I'm not famous though, nor would I want to be a celebrity. I find the whole celebrity obsession thing these days quite repulsive. The idea that people can be famous for nothing more than being famous, without a vestige of real talent in any field, without any skills to speak of, without any depth of character or fortitude or dignity or discretion, without having earned respect, without having given anything of real value to the human race, is quite apalling; as is the truly revolting voyeurism that we are all expected to want to indulge in.

It's the unsung heroes of ths world who really matter; the quiet, modest, often shy people, the frequently unobserved and even more frequently taken-for-granted people, who just do very good things or very brave things (or both) out of the sheer goodness of their hearts and expect nothing in return, who really deserve respect and admiration.

(- but if my novel ever gets published and the film rights sold for huge amounts of money and I become instantly famous . . . . I'll let you know!!!!!! ;) )

06-27-2007 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
Beef Row wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Heck, if Paris Hilton reads, I'd be genuinely fascinated to know that.

Fixed

She probably hires people to do that.

06-27-2007 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Any celebrities? (0)  
My sister appeared (very briefly) in an ad for panadol. But she doesn't play DROD or post on the forum AFAIK.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 06-28-2007 05:29 AM : the misspelled subject line is bugging me.]
06-28-2007 at 01:56 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well I've been repeatedly reminded from multiple people that I deliver an excellent speech enough times that it's become imprinted into my ego. I suppose it's because they're relieved that they then don't have to trawl through my bad grammar, reconstruct my syntax, wade through my misspellings and decypher a batch of scribbles that is collectively known to be my handwriting. Speaking of which, I'm famous for that too, but for all the wrong reasons.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 06-28-2007 03:12 AM]
06-28-2007 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
I'm a HUGE celebrity, like, everyone in my direct family know who I am!

06-28-2007 at 04:03 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I was on TV and in the papers once. (It was a profile piece, not just me waving in the background and doing stupid things.) I like to say I'm on minute 17 of my fifteen minutes.

I find the whole celebrity obsession thing these days quite repulsive.

It's funny, I don't think I've actually heard of anyone who likes Paris Hilton. And yet they're out there. (I suspect she's so reviled because she lays bare the class problems in American society, that someone can be successful and go to all the parties just through who she was born to, no matter how personally repulsive she is. It's not hard to imagine her as Marie Antoinette, wondering why the populace can't just eat cake instead of bread.)

On the other hand, J. K. Rowling is a celebrity. A celebrity, in fact, I would quite like to be: the tabloids, for the most part, leave her alone, she has a happy and comfortable (but not extravagant) existence, and very few begrudge her her success. She also seems to have her head screwed on right.

06-28-2007 at 05:50 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
When I was about 4 years old, I was in a local newspaper in virginia for testing out some new childrens play place or something like that! :blush

I was also in the newspaper sometime for playing chess at a famous tournament.

06-28-2007 at 08:52 AM
Pneh
Rank Points: 154
I was in the news once when I was painting. Wearing a ugly overall that had old paint all over it. Not really one of my most glamorous moments... And I've been in the papers occasionally, but only the back of my head was shown.

06-28-2007 at 12:49 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I won a the First Lego League Massachusetts state championship once. That got me in the papers and a tiny spot on the news.
06-28-2007 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355

File: Thueringen.jpeg (804.3 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
License: Public Domain
Although I guess a lot of people on this particular forums have achieved something similar, I might as well say it.

I represented the Free State of Thuringia in the 2006 German Mathematics Olympiad. Also I, together with a friend, published an article in the "Wurzel", which is a monthly mathematics magazine published by the university of Jena.

Here's the team photo from the olympiad. I'm the guy in black who's looking in the totally wrong direction (: .
06-28-2007 at 04:14 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
And we shouldn't forget our very own Kevin_P86.
06-28-2007 at 06:38 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
noma wrote:
And we shouldn't forget our very own Kevin_P86.
I wouldn't say being the best loser makes me anything of a celebrity... :)

06-28-2007 at 07:35 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mattcrampy wrote:
It's not hard to imagine her as Marie Antoinette, wondering why the populace can't just eat cake instead of bread.
This was actually supposed to be compassionate - the mob, being the mob, just took it the other way and executed her.
In other words, when she said "Let them eat cake.", it was really invoking noblesse oblige.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-29-2007 01:43 AM : clarity]
06-29-2007 at 01:42 AM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
I'm known in several Tae Kwon Do academies by some other students, being a 3-time gold medalist. I won a chess tournament once, and I've been in the paper occasionally. And that's it I think.

Keep posting,

06-29-2007 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Jatopian wrote:
In other words, when she said "Let them eat cake.", it was really invoking noblesse oblige.

I'd put my marbles on "it was really a misquotation" myself (from Rousseau, who had used the phrase a few years before the revolution). Misquotations can be so nasty... I'll quote Al Gore on that one.
06-29-2007 at 09:30 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Or, as Erik said...
The next time I change my underwear there will be white smoke over my house.
Man, I lurk far too much. ;)
06-29-2007 at 10:37 AM
Garlonuss
Rank Points: 275
Well, nobody would recognize me for it, but I was interviewed on Brazilian TV back in '98. It was just a spot on the local news but I was seen by litterally some people. (And no, it wasn't one of those "man on the street" interviews where I just happened to be passing by.)

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 06-29-2007 07:55 PM]
06-29-2007 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Ezlo wrote:
I won a the First Lego League Massachusetts state championship once. That got me in the papers and a tiny spot on the news.
A Lego championship? What does that invlove?

I had my name read out as a competition winner on an afternoon show on 6 Music once. Oh, and I've a trophy for coming second in a local(ish) lightning chess tournament when I was about 15. So, no; not famous in any way :P

07-01-2007 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
I got a perfect score at a MathCounts competition in 9th grade and at a high school programming competition located at NAU in 12th. We even had to use vi for the text editor, and that had been my first run-in with a Unix OS or vi.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-01-2007 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613

File: ghost.jpg (19.7 KB)
Downloaded 268 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Any celebritys? (+3)  
I'm an amateur actor, and have become somewhat recognisable to the local English-speaking population (as in, during and after theatre season I occasionally get strangers stopping me in the street to tell me they enjoyed the show). I've also appeared on a local radio show to promote a production.

Here's a mugshot from the latest show (Wyrd Sisters, from the novel by Terry Pratchett). I'm the ghost of the dead king (hence the green light); unfortunately I don't have a shot that shows the knife in my back :D

[Last edited by Znirk at 07-01-2007 08:29 PM]
07-01-2007 at 08:26 PM
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
I competed in the Minnesota State Spelling Bee. I struck out in the sixth round, and hadn't actually taken 1st place in any level above my school itself, but hey. The middle rung spelling bees allow the top so-and-so many contestants to progress to the next level, varying depending on the exact level.

The district level, I was 2nd place, losing on "keratitis", which I can't imagine any sane 8th grader knowing, let alone lower grades. My competitor who took 1st did so on the word "velodrome". C'mon.

But no, I'm not bitter. ;)
07-02-2007 at 03:41 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I never appeared in a newspaper at all. :( And can't do anything to appear in it. The only chance I had so far to appear in a newspaper photo was at school, but I was sick that one day.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-03-2007 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any celebritys?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com