Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me submission thread (Entries and discussion of those entries for the April Competition go here)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1980
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bluff Me submission thread (0)  
Casebier wrote:
Champion Nick Arcade Contestant

I won the grand prize on Nickelodeon's old gameshow, Nick Arcade.
Two Nickelodeon gameshow contestants in one bunch? Who would have guessed?

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-13-2007 04:58 PM]
04-13-2007 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Dex Stewart wrote:
Scientists have discovered a way to teleport matter.

To be more exact, they found a way to create a molecule in a distant location which has the esact (sic) same properties of another molecule.
This is misleading, as it was probably meant to be. Scientists have not really teleported matter, but they have also not recreated a molecule. They have, which is still pretty amazing, transferred the quantum state of a photon (which is an elementary particle, not a molecule) from one place to another. The photon itself does not travel from point A to point B, but it does cease to exist at its origin once it is re-created at its destination. Pretty cool and don't expect me to explain it. This was done, I believe, about five years ago. More recently, two team of scientists apparently managed to transfer the quantum state of an entire atom from point A to point B. The distance however was less than 1/1000 of an inch. See this article.

To sum up: although the main statement is correct if you use the quantum definition of "teleportation", its supporting sentence is incorrect, as it was not a molecule, but an atom. Splitting hairs? Perhaps. But at least not splitting atoms.
Pinnacle wrote:
Well, technically, salt is ionic, not molecular.
Technically salt is a molecule formed by the ionic bond between a positive ion of sodium (Na+) and a negative ion of chlorine, aka chloride, (Cl-.) Although table salt is an ionic compound, it not itself ionic (i.e., positively or negatively charged.) It is, however, molecular (i.e., consisting of molecules.)

[Last edited by noma at 04-14-2007 04:59 AM]
04-13-2007 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
No. Salt is a lattice formed by 6 Cl- ions surrounding every* Na+ ion, and 6 Na+ ions surrounding every Cl- ion to form the much larger crystals we see. You cannot have a single NaCl molecule (one atom of each element) in the same way as, say, a water molecule.

*Well, not every, but most of them. In such a way that there are equal numbers of sodium and chloride ions, anyway.

"Oook!"
04-13-2007 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
I'm nearly sorry I asked. :-)

Though the idea of a proton having certain properties that still hold after "teleportation" is much more comprehensible to me than that being true of a molecule.
04-13-2007 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ok, time is nearly up for the submissions. I must stress that there are still some ineligible entires, mostly due to not putting in the unhide tags. I've made a list of the ineligible entires, just check the front post. If you don't know what you did wrong, check the annoucement topic or my example.
I almost must admit that a few ineligible entires did escape my net :blush, so I'd advise everyone to check the first post.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-14-2007 03:01 AM]
04-14-2007 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Fixed.
04-14-2007 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
krammer wrote:
No. Salt is a lattice formed by 6 Cl- ions surrounding every* Na+ ion, and 6 Na+ ions surrounding every Cl- ion to form the much larger crystals we see. You cannot have a single NaCl molecule (one atom of each element) in the same way as, say, a water molecule.

*Well, not every, but most of them. In such a way that there are equal numbers of sodium and chloride ions, anyway.
Well I guess if I was going to be picky, I should have also been specific. I was only trying to point out that salt was molecular.

EDIT: Pinnacle, I stand corrected. I thought you were saying salt was an ion -- not realizing you were just leaving out the word "compound". It's been a few years since my last chem class; I shoud have consulted my textbook before jumping in. After reading coppro's post, I re-read krammer's, checked my books and lo! Salt is not molecular. Worse than being a know-it-all is being a know-it-all with egg on my face. Sorry. :?

[Last edited by noma at 04-14-2007 05:00 AM]
04-14-2007 at 03:49 AM
coppro
noma wrote:
I was only trying to point out that salt was molecular.
Which, as has clearly been demonstrated, is not the case.
04-14-2007 at 03:52 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Close, but not really

I was the challenger for the 2004 World Championship Tournament in Trax.

I then went on to lose the finals to the defending champion 0-6.

Yes, this is true. And shouldn't be so hard to verify. But just in case: link.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 04-14-2007 04:06 AM]
04-14-2007 at 04:00 AM
coppro
What's Trax?
04-14-2007 at 04:01 AM
Kevin_P86
coppro wrote:
What's Trax?
It's probably best described as a board game.

04-14-2007 at 04:02 AM
Tahnan
Kevin_P86 wrote:
coppro wrote:
What's Trax?
And it has a world championship?
04-14-2007 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Treasure Hunt

The movie has secret text on the back of the real constitution. It caused such interest amoung the general public that new precautions had to be made to protect it. In reality there is no secret message on the back of the constitution.

The movie "Treasure Hunt" is on T.V. tonight. I played the online version when it was a contest and I completed the contest and figured out the right location and was entered into the drawing. One of the challenges was about secret text on the back of the constitution. I did a great deal of research to get to the right answer which is why I know the answer.

True there is no message or text on the back of the constitution.

[Last edited by techant at 04-14-2007 04:28 AM]
04-14-2007 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Will you wander? Wonder no more.

A gene has been identified in the human genome that can identify whether or not you are predisposed to be a "homebody" or a "wanderer".

This gene is thought to have been important to the survival of the human species. There are times when seeking out new territory would be important and times when it would be more prudent to stay in one place. As well, it is suspected that hunters in a group expressed the "wandering" gene, and gatherers the "stay at home" gene.

This is a total bluff. A quick google search would determine that although researchers have isolated the genes responsible for some diseases, there is still a long way to go before we isolate genes responsible for behaviour.
04-14-2007 at 04:29 AM
Kevin_P86
Tahnan wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
coppro wrote:
What's Trax?
And it has a world championship?
So it would seem :).

04-14-2007 at 04:48 AM
coppro
Wikipedia confirms this.

As for him being a competitor, I don't know. My personal best claim to fame would be winning Deflectamundo!, but everyone already knows about that.
04-14-2007 at 05:11 AM
NiroZ
The submissions are now closed.
04-14-2007 at 05:59 AM
noma
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Close, but not really

I was the challenger for the 2004 World Championship Tournament in Trax.

I then went on to lose the finals to the defending champion 0-6.

This message will be revealed in negative 909 weeks, 5 days.
Well a this link shows, there was a tournament, the score was 0-6, and a Kevin was a challenger and, sadly, lost. The question is: is it our Kevin??
04-14-2007 at 05:48 PM
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
icon Re: Bluff Me submission thread (+2)  
NiroZ was wrong

The submissions are not closed yet and six is afraid of seven

Scientists prooved this morning that yesterday is actually tomorrow, by using a difficult technique which infolves the second last digit of pi (which is a 7 btw), therefore the 14th of April hasnt started yet.

First one wrong, second one right, because seven ate nine...

04-15-2007 at 12:18 AM
NiroZ
Geiler Hengst wrote:
NiroZ was wrong

Scientists prooved this morning that yesterday is actually tomorrow, by using a difficult technique which infolves the second last digit of pi (which is a 7 btw), therefore the 14th of April hasnt started yet.

:lol Nice try.
04-15-2007 at 01:03 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
NiroZ wrote:
Geiler Hengst wrote:
NiroZ was wrong

Since it is the only submission of this member and the questions of time is so relative, can't we let um' in huh? :lol

[Last edited by techant at 04-15-2007 10:39 AM]
04-15-2007 at 10:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
piderman
Rank Points: 51
techant wrote:
CSI truth or fiction

On a recent episode of a crime solving type show, a stolen laptop was tracked down using the little known fact that GPS chips are now installed in all newer laptops. The show stated that only law enforcement knows how to access these GPS systems. This is why it is so important to regiser your purchase. So if your laptop is ever stolen you can ask the law enforcement agency to track it using its GPS chip.

All newer cell phones have chips that give your location for 911. Now because of easy wireless access being standard in laptops this has GPS been expanded to laptop computers.

I think I saw that episode. Might have been CSI or Numb3rs or something. But to the point: your average GPS chip, which displays your location on your laptop, only receives signals, doesn't send them. It isn't rigged for that, or at least it shouldn't be. So unless it's been done secretly (which is quite worrying) and the police can get a return signal from your GPS chip it's quite impossible to track one down. WiFi might be possible, but that wasn't mentioned [in the episode].
So, it's true that it was on the episode, false that you can track a laptop through its GPS chip :D

Edit: typo

[Last edited by piderman at 04-15-2007 10:48 AM]
04-15-2007 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Nobody even questions the idea that bears are marching into towns and wreaking havoc?

Seriously?
04-15-2007 at 11:04 AM
Geiler Hengst
Rank Points: 64
techant wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Geiler Hengst wrote:
NiroZ was wrong

Since it is the only submission of this member and the questions of time is so relative, can't we let um' in huh? :lol

Yea let me in, let me in... :-P
04-15-2007 at 01:20 PM
Tahnan
icon Re: Bluff Me submission thread (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
Nobody even questions the idea that bears are marching into towns and wreaking havoc?

Seriously?
I watch the Colbert Report; I know what a threat bears are.
04-15-2007 at 05:39 PM
noma
Some of us also have access to the Vancouver Sun. (Well... okay, anyone with an internet connection does, but how many check it? Although in this case, it seems like all of us did. Pesky bears.)
04-15-2007 at 05:47 PM
Casebier
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 283
Casebier wrote:
tokyokid wrote:
Kid Principle

In the second grade, I won a contest and became principle for a day. Another student, the principal, and I went to get Ice Cream, and we also got a book from Barnes and Noble.

I even gave out a few detentions, and acted like a principle would.

I have pictures, and I still have the book.
Why did the other kid get to have Ice Cream as well?
Methinks he can't back this up. :D

04-18-2007 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me submission thread (Entries and discussion of those entries for the April Competition go here)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com