Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Music recommendations
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged

File: Where_will_I_Be.jpg (61.8 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Music recommendations (+2)  
Like anyone with an iPod (or any other MP3 player) I've got thousands of songs. I burn compilation CDs and create playlists, but I find myself using the same songs over and over. So since I love coming across new music I'm looking for recommendations. What is a favourite song of yours in the following categories:

Make Me Smile: a song that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face no matter what.

Break My Heart: while not necessarily a sad song, it's a song you listen to when you're feeling blue.. or just nostalgic.. or maybe wistful. I call it the sweetly sad song.

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive: you know this song. You're in your car, it comes on the radio... you crank the volume up and the windows down, and sing along at the top of your lungs without caring who's watching.

EDIT as per jemann's suggestion:
Gives Me Goosebumps: this could mean different things to different people but the criteria is stated in the title.

I know it's hard to answer a "favourite" type of question -- I could list at least six for each category right off the top of my head -- but try to limit your responses to one or two per category. So let's just say I'm looking for the first song that pops into your head, right now, at this moment. Here's mine, and I'm doing two because I can't pick just one.

=================

Make Me Smile:
1. Here Comes the Sun, George Harrison
2. When the Night Feels My Song, Bedouin Soundclash
3. I've really got to add: The Laughing Gnome, David Bowie

Break My Heart:
1. Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
2. Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
1. A Little Less Conversation, Elvis (remix version)
2. Steve McQueen, Sheryl Crow

Gives Me Goosebumps:
1. Somewhere down the Crazy River, Robbie Robertson
2. Hurricane Room, William Topley

[Last edited by noma at 12-09-2008 04:26 AM : :santa]
05-18-2007 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Music recommendations (0)  
Although it has no lyrics, a good Woo Hoo! song is Revived Power from the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack.
05-18-2007 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Make Me Smile: Reptiles and Samurai by Oingo Boingo (especially the live version on the Farewell: Live From the Universal Amphitheater album...that version is a Woo-Hoo song for me too). Honorable mention: Make Me Smile by Chicago (I couldn't resist).

Break My Heart: Ghost by the Indigo Girls (the studio is good, but I definitely prefer the live version on 1200 Curfews the most). Honorable mention: So Sad About Us by The Who (specifically the acoustic version on the recent album Live At Royal Albert Hall, much more poignant than the old studio one).

Woo-Hoo: Dig A Pony by the Beatles (specifically the live...no, just kidding. :) ). Honorable Mention: Dancing With The Moonlit Knight by Genesis (the live versions are pretty hard to find, so I'll allow the studio version for this one, but it's not preferable ;) . The one on Genesis Archive 1967-75 is the best. The song starts out slow and singable, and then gets fast, furious, and petal-to-the-metal-able, for me at least. It would be first, but...I just had to have a Beatles song be a main choice).

Gives Me Goosebumps: Private Investigations by Dire Straits...and if you know this song, you know I mean the long instrumental outro (and once again, the live versions are superior in my opinion). I don't yet have an honorable mention for this one, I think...but it will probably be a song that was played during a movie so I have some kind of emotional association with it that way. Like Wise Up by Aimee Mann (in Magnolia, not really a movie I liked except for the music), or The Only Living Boy in New York by Simon and Garfunkel (in Garden State, which I did like and really appreciated the scene), or...OH! Okay, that's it. Honorable mention: Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters by Elton John, inspired by the movie Almost Famous. And actually...the Indigo Girls do an awesome live version of this song that I like better than the original, but the only copy I have of it is off a bootleg CD, so I'm not sure if it is findable anywhere else (and pretty decent quality too).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 05-18-2007 06:10 PM]
05-18-2007 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Since music is my passion, I've just had to add my three cents to this:

Edit: I figured I'd probably better explain some of these (And narrow down my choices)...

Make Me Smile:
1. Read my Mind by The Killers - The video for this song always makes me laugh. Fuzzy green things rule!
2. Free by Brad Johner - The chorus in this song is so upbeat....for a country song. Nah, I'm just kidding, everyone.

Break My Heart:
1. Long May You Run (Unplugged) by Neil Young - Definitely the best "Wishing well" song out there. Neil rules, and the acoustic version fits the song's meaning perfectly.
2. Tokyo by Bruce Cockburn - Actually, I listen to a lot of his songs when I'm in a more sombre mood...most of his songs are ballads relating to some social justice issue. They really make you remember that life could always be worse

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
1. I Don't Need Her by The Outfield - An upbeat song that expresses independence in life. Reminds me that I can do whatever I desire.
2. Young and Restless by Prism - This song is probably one of the most upbeat, strong, youthful songs I've ever heard.

Gives Me Goosebumps:
1. Trouble by Coldplay - Normally, I deem Coldplay as a very depressing band, but this song is very haunting. Simple keyboard chords, and chilling vocals can really give you the creeps, especially driving home in the dark. Yes, I know I sound like a fruit.
2. It Hertz by The Crystal Method - An instrumental, but about midway, it gets very intense and, to a point, almost threatening. The mini-song itself is wedged partway between a huge 46+ minute long Nike Original Run track, though.

Great idea for a topic!

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 05-19-2007 05:58 AM]
05-18-2007 at 05:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jemann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 160
I'm a sucker for this type of thread.

Make Me Smile: many songs by They Might Be Giants, including Birdhouse In Your Soul, Experimental Film, and Dr. Worm (which also falls into the Woo Hoo! category). Also The Mayor of Simpleton by XTC.

Break My Heart: Tank Park Salute by Billy Bragg, or a lovely live version of Tori Amos playing China (the album version is sadly over-produced).

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive: I'll nominate Midnight Oil's Read About It, or Kosciusko, or Sometimes (the live version on Scream In Blue). A rock band with power & passion.

In the interests of broadening the range, I'll add a category:
Causes Goosebumps: Matte Kudasai by King Crimson; Strange Days by George.
05-18-2007 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Make Me Smile: Lemon Demon's Word Disassociation, perhaps, or Da Vinci's Notebook's Enormous Penis.

Break My Heart: Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat, either his version or Tori Amos's. And his Take This Waltz, and...well, a whole lot of Leonard Cohen, really.

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive Girlyman's Postcards from Mexico.

Causes Goosebumps: The Flash Girls's November Song, and Billy Joel's cover of Leonard Cohen's Light as the Breeze.

Did I mention I like Leonard Cohen?
05-18-2007 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I like Leonard too (though I much prefer Buckley's version of Hallelujah.)

Wow, great recommendations so far. I've amended my first post to include jemann's new category, 'cause I like it. Once the thread's got enough posts, I'll compile the song suggestions into RTF files, broken out by category, and attach them to the first post.
05-18-2007 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Make Me Smile: Wagon Christ's "Boney L" (or Squarepusher's "Coopers World")

Break My Heart: Autechre's "Vletrmx21" (or Animals On Wheels' "Build A Church With Your Fear")

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive: Radiohead's "Idioteque" (or Sole's "Plutonium" - at least I would if I had a car or a driver's license... :D)

Gives Me Goosebumps: Aphex Twin's "On" (or Apollo 440's "Liquid Cool")

np: Hug - Ask For It (Heroes)

05-18-2007 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Make Me Smile:
1. Date Rape by Sublime. Adult themes. It ends well.
2. Foghorn by A. Yay for punk. This could be in the WooHoo I'm a Alive section.
3. Early Riser - PLUS-TECH SQUEEZE BOX - I'm such a sucker for J-Pop/Rock over-sampled bizarreness; this kind of stuff.
4. Battersea by Hooverphonic.
5. Mario Twins by Group X. lol...

Break My Heart:
1. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden.
2. Tracy's Flaw or Brazen by Skunk Anansie. Brazen is more well known.
3. Motive by Art of Noise. Mentioned this in another music topic. Like wow... put this in Goosebumps as well.
4. Winter by Tori Amos.

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
1. The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring.
2. Enfilade or Cosmonaut by At The Drive-In. Nonsense lyrics for the first, and sadly I know them. Usually when I'm hogging the hi-fi and I'm screaming into drunkenly ranting about kidnapping leopard cubs. Second always gets played at friends' places.
3. Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants by Dillinger Escape Plan, because I'm reasonably metal-y at times.

[Where is my Mars Volta CD?!?!?! ;___;]

4. Ry Ry's Song by Glassjaw because I can't find Mars Volta at all.

5. Fire (either edit as I'm quite found of both) by The Prodigy. Most people are familiar with the Sunrise Version.
6. Voodoo People Pendulum Remix - too good for the car. It's start flying down the road like it's on air.

[Where is my Pendulum CD ;_____;]

Gives Me Goosebumps:
1. Circle or Finland by Cult of Luna. Progressive metal, expect murderous shouting. The Beyond album gives me goosebumps. I'm not heavily into metal, but that is one of my favourite albums.
2. cock ver 10 by Aphex Twin.
3. Winnipeg is ******* Over by Venetian Snares.

I like these topics as well. I don't think I'm particular rounded with what I listen to either so I'm intrigued by others choices.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 05-18-2007 06:12 PM : Awful seplling]
05-18-2007 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Music recommendations (+1)  
In no particular order... ok so maybe I'm overly verbose, but these are all from my favourite tracks.

Make Me Smile:
Monty Python - I Like Chineese

Break My Heart:
Vangelis - Come To Me

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
Open Folk - Czarownica

Gives Me Goosebumps:
Type O Negative - Green Man

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 05-18-2007 09:02 PM]
05-18-2007 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Yellow_Mage wrote:2. Enfilade or Cosmonaut by At The Drive-In. Nonsense lyrics for the first, and sadly I know them. Usually when I'm hogging the hi-fi and I'm screaming into drunkenly ranting about kidnapping leopard cubs.
Seconded! That stuff about mother leopard is brilliantly nonsensical; Relationship of Command is an amazing album.

This is a great topic idea. Going to have to think about it a bit :)

Make me Smile:
The Scarecrow by Circulus. Everything about Circulus makes me grin like an idiot (how can a cross between a rock band and some medieval troubadors not?), but a scarecrow setting himself alight when he sits down for a cigarette really takes the biscuit.
I Started A Joke (I Started An Orb Mix), by The Orb/Robbie Williams is brilliantly crazy, too.
Erection by The Faint. A great bit of electroclash with lyrics about unwanted erections(It's an orchard of beeches/Your wife in the shower/When you wait for appointment/As you walk through the park/Oh! Uh-oh! Erection!) delivered entirely seriously. Totally great. In fact, all of Wet from Birth and Danse Macabre (and its remix album in fact) are great.
Break my Heart:
Bliss by Muse. Always reminds me of a bit of a crush I had on a girl at college, and it's a wonderful lovesong. Kinda goosebumpy too. Strange and Beautiful (I'll put a spell on you) by Aqualung works rather well, too - they're great live, by the way.
Otherwise by Morcheeba. A gorgeous, funny and heartbreaking song, with a fantastic video to match.
Woo Hoo!
Lots to choose from here. Blue Monday is one of those totally-unable-to-suppress-urge-to-dance-like-an-idiot songs. I'd also include Kick Muck by Ozric Tentacles in that category, specifically Kick 98 (on Swirly Termination).
Devil's Haircut by Beck. More nonsensical lyrics!

Gives me Goosebumps:
A Perfect Circle's cover of Imagine - much less preachy than Lennon :) They do good things with People are People too. In fact, The Nurse Who Loved Me's hollyweird strangeness took me a few listens to appreciate, but I'm glad I got there :)
Exhausted by Foo Fighters. A staticy album closer of wonder.
The whole of A Fine Day to Exit by Anathema. Vaguely a concept album about a suicide, and entirely beautiful.
Yesterday. 'nuff said.
Walking Shade by Billy Corgan. The rest of The Future Embrace is mostly heavily flawed, but it's worth it for this alone.
EDIT: Had to come back to add Marc Almond's version of The Days of Pearley Spencer. *shudders*

Going to have to stop myself now - could rabbit on here for ages.

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 05-18-2007 11:15 PM]
05-18-2007 at 10:47 PM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
These are the first to pop into my head today. Could have been a vastly different list if I was asked this yesterday or tomorrow:

Make Me Smile:
Bjork - Hyperballad
The Murmers - You Suck
The Magnetic Fields - Reno Dakota
Candypants - Nerdy Boys

Break My Heart:
Bjork - Hyperballad
Joanna Newsom - This Side of the Blue
Lonesome Bob /w Allison Moorer -Waltzing on the Titanic
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Last Beat of My Heart

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
Bjork - Hyperballad
Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots
Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash
Lemonheads - Allison's Starting to Happen

Gives Me Goosebumps:
Bjork - Hyperballad
Heather Nova - Sugar
Nancy Sinatra - Bang, Bang
Sigur Ros - the ENTIRE albums of Takk... & Ágætis Byrjun

05-20-2007 at 06:18 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I will only do two, because there's nothing I know for the other two categories.

Make Me Smile:
Deep Spaces: Agressive (TCB)

Break My Heart:
Pikmin 1 Ending (Return to hocotate) (Pikmin)
When there's a saddening event, I either load it up or hum it.

Yes, I only like game music.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-20-2007 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Yes, I only like game music.
You'll get over that phase - at least that's my experience... :P

np: El-P - Habeas Corpses (Draconian Love) (I'll Sleep When You're Dead)

05-20-2007 at 11:34 PM
Yellow_Mage
Tscott wrote:
Make Me Smile:
Bjork - Hyperballad

You know, I was going to say something until I saw,
Break My Heart:
Bjork - Hyperballad
Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
Bjork - Hyperballad
Gives Me Goosebumps:
Bjork - Hyperballad

Lol, yes, Hyperballad is great. I love the Plaid remix which is the reason I heard about them in the first place.

Ey, Beef. Relationship of Command is an amazing album. But why did they have to break up? :( Well, I know, but I'm annoyed that I can't find my Deloused At The Comatorium...

05-20-2007 at 11:43 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Break My Heart:
My Immortal by Evanescence

Keep posting,

05-21-2007 at 12:06 AM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
Yellow_Mage wrote:
You know, I was going to say something until I saw,
I kept thinking of songs for one category that would work equally well in some or all of the others. I almost tried to think of 4 or 5 songs that I felt fit all of them and was going to post the exact same list 4 times, but finally settled on Hyperballad as the best example.

(Plus I always like to make sure people are actually reading the lists in this sorts of threads. ;) )

05-21-2007 at 02:23 AM
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Briareos wrote
Break My Heart: Autechre's "Vletrmx21"
Gives Me Goosebumps: Aphex Twin's "On"
Uhm, are you sure you got over it? :D

05-21-2007 at 06:14 PM
Briareos
lakibuk wrote:
Briareos wrote
Break My Heart: Autechre's "Vletrmx21"
Gives Me Goosebumps: Aphex Twin's "On"
Uhm, are you sure you got over it? :D
Can't remember any games those two tracks were in ("Hardwar" had different ones :D), but the phase I was in in high school was "(crappy) Gabber/Eurotechno only"... *shudder*

np: Gui Boratto - The Blessing (Chromophobia)

05-21-2007 at 06:40 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
A few of my recent and not-so-recent musical obsessions. I'll try to categorize them but mostly they're just music I listen to over and over again.

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
Flathead, by The Fratellis
Devil Song, by theredsunband

Break My Heart:
King's Crossing, by Elliott Smith

Give Me Goosebumps:
Nature Boy, by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Running Out Of Time, by Madrugada
Passenger, by Powderfinger
Devastation, by The Besnard Lakes

Make Me Smile:
She's Never Around, by Cosmic Rough Riders
Bad Time, by The Jayhawks

[Last edited by jbluestein at 05-21-2007 06:43 PM]
05-21-2007 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Out of the music mentioned in this thread so far, I recognise two titles. Maybe I'd know some more if I heard them ...

Well, anyway.

smile
So long and thanks for all the fish, the opening sequence song and overall best part of the HGTTG movie.
Wouldn't it be nice? by the Beach Boys.
Es git e bueb mit name Fritz by Mani Matter.... And many others; I can also support the They Might Be Giants vote, for instance.

cardiac fracture
Lúa descolorida from the Pasión de San Marcos by Osvaldo Golijov. (The lyrics are a poem by Rosalía de Castro)
And some more movie music: Smile from, apparently, Modern Times.

w00t!
Well ... nothing springs to mind. I can't really relate to the situation -- I usually listen to music deliberately rather to a radio selection, and I'll sing, hum or whistle along with pretty much anything I recognise without needing a pretext. Also, I don't drive.

goosebumps
Maybe A slow song by Joe Jackson (at least the version on the "1980-86" live album). This category depends a lot on context though.
05-21-2007 at 08:42 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Music topics are wonderful, and it truly is a shame that we don't have more. It's almost tempting to get this thread started again.

05-22-2007 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
woo hoo - drive too fast etc.
can't compete -- gammer
any tony-de-vit
most hard house
some happy-hardcore

05-22-2007 at 12:17 PM
Yellow_Mage
Briareos wrote:
Can't remember any games those two tracks were in ("Hardwar" had different ones :D), but the phase I was in in high school was "(crappy) Gabber/Eurotechno only"... *shudder*

I liked nu-metal so I liked Korn. I had a hoodie and everything. I kinda like them still, I think. ;>_>

Oh mon... gabber gives me a headache. Now J-speedcore. That is something so intense that it felt like I was watching an episode of Ultraman through my ears instead of my eyes. I've bought stuff that I wish I didn't like Lost Prophets and Tricky, but that nu-metal phase probably made me like the worst stuff that I'm embarrassed about. Liking Plu-Tech Squeeze Box and Macdonald Duck Eclair, I'm not embarrassed at all. :P

05-22-2007 at 06:46 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Hmmmm... tricky

Make Me Smile: It has to be either
Odetta - Battle Hymn of the Republic. A really great arrangement of the old song that just gets you going.
Enrico Morricone - L Arena. From the soundtrack of Kill Bill 2 - a song that just keeps building and building in power.

Break My Heart:
Eva Cassidy's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Lovely.

Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
Pretty much anything by ABBA :)

Gives Me Goosebumps:
The Stranglers - Midnight Summer Dream. Combination of singing and spoken lyrics and the hidden depths just gives me chills.

05-22-2007 at 06:57 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
calamarain wrote:
Woo Hoo! I'm Alive:
Pretty much anything by ABBA :)
Putr that down under "Oh god, I'm still alive." for me :P

05-22-2007 at 08:49 PM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
Goosebumps: http://youtube.com/watch?v=s1I6d0OTSOA&mode=related&search=

The Israeli National anthem, surprisingly.

Kazakhstan can come too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=12tGtMA4tqk

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 06-04-2007 11:56 AM]
06-04-2007 at 11:40 AM
Krissan
Rank Points: 89
Make Me Smile
Irene Cara - What A Feeling
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (preferred live version from Nelson Mandela concert)

Break My Heart
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Woohoo!
Jävlaranamma - Kärlek
Iron Maiden - Be Quick Or Be Dead

Goosebumps
Iron Maiden - The Clansman
The Rocky Orchestra - Going the Distance

06-04-2007 at 11:53 PM
gamer_extreme_101
For anyone looking for good "Woo-Hoo! I'm Alive!" music, I truly recommend buying Costello Music by The Fratellis. I recently bought it over iTunes, and I am absolutely loving the CD. All of the songs are very well written, and are great for singing out loud while driving along.

06-07-2007 at 06:34 AM
Jingle71
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Make me smile: Queen-Killer Queen, Honorable mention: The All-American Rejects-Move Along
Heart-Break: (I don't really know any)
Woo-Hoo!: probably Queen-We Will Rock You, or Stroke 9- Little black backpack.
Goosebumps: Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody

(PS: Please no down-modding just because I like Queen.)
(PPS: Or my avatar.)

06-18-2007 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Music recommendations
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No