Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Advice? (on building my first hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Spanky
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Advice? (0)  
I read through all the stickied threads on architecture, but none of them cater to the, erm...artistic aspect. (Although I played Ketchup and Puppies- it was pretty fun!) I want to design a hold called Dragon's Lair- basically each level will be shaped like a dragon. I did some trial and error designing and found out how hard this is to accomplish without some sort of a map drawn out on paper :blush

Also, it's a bit hard to make *actually-fun* puzzles and still keep the main design. Sometimes it's just plain impossible. Any tips or advice?

05-14-2007 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479

File: Example.hold (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Advice? (0)  
Just use your imagination, and check my "Architects' ideas" thread.

I'm now building awesome puzzles, thanks to the help of the community. Here's what I do :

1) I think the main idea of the puzzle ( ex. orb puzzle, trapdoor puzzle, misc puzzle )
2) I often select a "basic element" of the puzzle, it may be Fegundos, Guards, Goblins, tarstuff, etc...
3) I start planning an idea...
4) I put a goblin and think : This is easy... But what could make it harder?
5) Same step as 4.
6) I countinue steps as 4 when finally the puzzle is very hard, if it's too hard, I remove something, or make the very hard version to a secret room.
7) Test your puzzles. It's stupid to have impossible puzzles in your hold.
8) Decorations aren't required, but they make the puzzles very cool. So I often put obstacles or talking NPCs.

A more pratical example :

1) I've got a room, with the shape of a dragon.
2) All the corners remind me of level 7 of KDD.
3) So I put a lot of evil eyes.
4) I test the room, and see that's easy and boring.
5) So I start thinking to what could make it harder and better.
6) I add a big pit in the dragon shape with a big platform.
7) The evil eyes can see through pits, so they can get me on the platform.
8) In the upper part of the room I may add trapdoors and rock giants and a red door. So you mustn't kill the giants on trapdoors.
9) Sounds easy, what else to add?
10) What about a little orb puzzle in the NW part of the room?
11) Intresting, a room is done.
12) Mhh... I just added a NPC timer, so the player must be really efficient.
13) That's not a bad idea, but it can be frustrating. What about makeing the room with the timer a secret room?
14) Oh, and for the grand finale, some "evil" pressure plates, that mustn't be pressed, or else the exit door will close.

P.S. Ta-da ! Example hold!

[Last edited by vittro at 05-14-2007 06:24 PM]
05-14-2007 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
It much harder to develop rooms around a specific architectural design, but many puzzles can condensed into a much smaller area so you can ignore structural irregularities within a room.

Examples of empcompassing structural design -

Nooks, crannies, and crevices
- tar can be used as an efficiency timer growing into a crevice which you don't want a tar baby being produced out of it. Crevices are good places where you could possibly retreat from a group of monsters, be it roaches or goblins, a place to kill snakes, a place for pressure plates.

Trapdoors - can be part of the design, in which a room you need to drop all the trapdoors the overall design is shown. Good placement of inner walls and trapdoors can make interesting puzzles once you thought of a good way to introduce enemies into it. Classically goblins needed be used for something.

Pits vs. Walls (and water) - changing the walls to pits having wraithwings, using platforms to reach other rooms that aren't walled off, and still retain design. Pits are better than water for that, but water can be used as design filler. Since tarstuff is coloured nicely in DROD3 (tar is very purplely is DROD2), you can do pure design stuff with tarstuff, plus water, and shade in a dragon. Tho' it could suffer as a puzzle room, white water rafting and cutting through tarstuff with water skippers would be an interesting combination on its own.

That's all I have to offer. The main difficulty in this is not the actually design of puzzle in the rooms, but how you would exit the rooms and how are they connected together. It's far easier to design the room layout first, make an exit (which is far more important), then specify the entrance and decide how you want the rooms to connect to each other, which can change (I say the only thing you should change as you progress as you should be stubborn on the exit) as you design the puzzles.

Click here to view the secret text

05-14-2007 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Advice? (+1)  
Spanky wrote:
Also, it's a bit hard to make *actually-fun* puzzles and still keep the main design. Sometimes it's just plain impossible. Any tips or advice?

Something that I find works rather well is to design a basic boring puzzle. Once you have the core of the puzzle, then jazz it up. I find it a lot easier to turn a boring puzzle into a cool one than design a cool one from scratch. e.g.

Got a horde of roaches to fight? Add in a tarstuff timer, so if you don't kill the roaches quickly enough, the way is blocked. Have evil eyes staring at various squares that you can't step on. have pressure plates that you or the roaches cannot step on. Force arrows to make their movement more unpredictable.

Trapdoor floor? Make it so you have to keep a fegundo alive at the same time for later. Add arrows on the trapdoors to make the puzzle trickier. Sprinkle in a wraithwing or two. Add a goblin or two on the trapdoors to kill. Include platforms that only become free once a few doors have fallen.

Snake puzzle with dead ends? Add in roach queens behind force arrows to hassle you. Add in orthosquares here and there to make it tricky. Add brains that must be killed before you can trap them. Mix in a rattlesnake. Make Beethro do it swordless, using bombs only.

Start simple, and build on puzzles. Trying to do one big cool puzzle at once often fails, unless you have a clear idea of what you'd like to do from the start. If you don't have such an idea, stick with the boring puzzle, then jazz it up.

05-14-2007 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Spanky
I forgot to mention that I'm using Architect's Edition, I don't have the money to buy JtRH or TCB yet, so a lot of the elements you're used to, I can't use. Sorry- I should have mentioned it earlier!

I'll probably redo my hold once I buy them however, so your advice doesn't go to waste. ^_^;

I did come up with a bunch of ideas while waiting for replies...weird how that happened after weeks of frustration.

05-14-2007 at 09:27 PM
calamarain
Spanky wrote:
I forgot to mention that I'm using Architect's Edition, I don't have the money to buy JtRH or TCB yet, so a lot of the elements you're used to, I can't use. Sorry- I should have mentioned it earlier!

I'll probably redo my hold once I buy them however, so your advice doesn't go to waste. ^_^;

I did come up with a bunch of ideas while waiting for replies...weird how that happened after weeks of frustration.
I point out in return that the demos of JtRH and TCB are free. And these both contain the editors and all the required elements. You might not be able to play the actual *game* of JtRH and TCB, but you are able to create holds and play holds that other users have created. The demo contains the full game engine, just not the core game. You're just restricted to usermade holds.

Though the core games rock :)

05-14-2007 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Spanky
calamarain wrote:

I point out in return that the demos of JtRH and TCB are free. And these both contain the editors and all the required elements.

Oh really? Yay! Thanks! :D
Do you have any suggestions as to usermade holds, so I can get used to the newer elements?

05-14-2007 at 10:41 PM
calamarain
Spanky wrote:
calamarain wrote:

I point out in return that the demos of JtRH and TCB are free. And these both contain the editors and all the required elements.

Do you have any suggestions as to usermade holds, so I can get used to the newer elements?

Not too sure. Journey to the Goblin Kingdom is a generally positively received one, but most of the usermade holds I've played have been AE rather than JtRH or CB.

05-14-2007 at 10:59 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
There aren't really too many TCB holds at the moment. Those that exist I think were mostly done in JtRH anyway.

05-14-2007 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
If you want to see an artistic JtRH hold, have a look at this.

05-15-2007 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Spanky wrote:
calamarain wrote:

That depends on how difficult you would like the holds you play to be. In general you can find holds sorted after raiting here. Those that have a little JtRH icon are JtRH holds.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-15-2007 07:55 AM]
05-15-2007 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Spanky
In the JtRH level editor- it only has 3 room style options and they all look the same. Is it like that because it's the demo version?

05-15-2007 at 03:08 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Yes that's right, you can only use foundation.

05-15-2007 at 03:18 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Neathro wrote:
I'm fairly sure that you can set the other styles, you just can't see them.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:27 AM]
05-15-2007 at 03:31 PM
calamarain
NiroZ wrote:
Neathro wrote:
I'm fairly sure that you can set the other styles, you just can't see them.

Yeah. Foundation's a nice style, but I have to say that I prefer Deep Spaces. With a little changing of floor tiles, you can get so many different sub-styles out of it :)

05-15-2007 at 03:56 PM
Spanky
Well, the ruins my idea for different-colored dragons...but the decorative tiles and more monsters makes up for it :D

kie, thanks for showing me that hold, it gave me lots of ideas.

And thanks everyone else, I won't need any more help until I'm having you test the levels :D

05-15-2007 at 04:17 PM
calamarain
Spanky wrote:
Well, the ruins my idea for different-colored dragons...but the decorative tiles and more monsters makes up for it :D

And thanks everyone else, I won't need any more help until I'm having you test the levels :D

Mmmm. I'm in a similar situation. You just wanna sit back and make level after level, and you're full of ideas :)

I'm near the end of my own project now, and when it's done, will be mostly recording the speech for it, so if you're done when I am - I should be able to beta test.

05-15-2007 at 04:18 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Spanky wrote:

Good luck mate. You'll need it. (:
05-15-2007 at 07:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Advice? (on building my first hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com