Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Brains, Goblins and Orthosquares
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Brains, Goblins and Orthosquares (0)  
Has anyone else noticed the behaviour can get rather unusual when combining these three elements together? I've just made a rather cool brain room with a goblin and orthosquares (needing you to keep the brains alive for other reasons)... and I've noticed that often the brain cannot guide the goblin through the squares. It seems to get stuck halfway through in some cases, as it's trying to move diagonally but can't, it refuses to move at all.

However, this is not symmetric - I've noticed that a goblin can get through a certain arrangement of tiles going *upwards* trivially that he doesn't seem to be able to get through going downwards.

Is it OK to design a room around this quirk? (I've confirmed my room is possible, you just have to lead the goblin up to the top and push him down to the bottom rather than having him follow you to the bottom)

Is this a known behaviour quirk that brains cannot necessarily get a goblin through orthosquares? I'm using the most modern version of JtRH

04-24-2007 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Brains, Goblins and Orthosquares (0)  
It's normal. Brains ignore orthosquares.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-24-2007 at 11:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

...is it normal that I am now doing an evil mad scientist laugh and plotting out various rooms that take advantage of this? (with a warning scroll of course)

04-24-2007 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
calamarain wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

...is it normal that I am now doing an evil mad scientist laugh and plotting out various rooms that take advantage of this? (with a warning scroll of course)
Yeah, pretty normal. Most people forgo the warning scroll however.
04-24-2007 at 12:06 PM
calamarain
NiroZ wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Yeah, pretty normal. Most people forgo the warning scroll however.

But what's the fun in torturing your victims unless they know they're being tortured? :P

04-24-2007 at 01:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Brains, Goblins and Orthosquares
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com