Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0
Page 2 of 10
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0 (0)  
Beef Row wrote:
Will there be any ingame songs in the main TCB hold, like we've been seeing in most of the SS's lately?

Sort of. There is a spoken word song, which isn't set to music.

Will any of the new obstacles (furniture, etc) be interactive or animated in any way?

No.

04-01-2007 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
There is a spoken word song
Would that be a poem?

04-01-2007 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
stigant wrote:
Would that be a poem?
Maybe it's like that Bjork album wherein human voices are used for instruments. Or a Gregorian monk's chant. But yeah, he probably means poem.

04-01-2007 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Will we have better integration between the game engine and the Hints & Solutions forum?
Oneiromancer wrote:
Besides the fog, there will indeed be snow, as well as thunder/lightning, cloud shadows, and darkness levels (including tinting as if it were sunset/sunrise).
Will we be able to have custom effects? character graphics? obstacle/wall graphics? etc.?
Will we finally get room style backward compatibility?
Will all monsters have corresponding NPCs? How about other elements? If not, what won't and why?

04-01-2007 at 04:05 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Will we have the ability to script custom serpent-like monsters?

04-01-2007 at 04:12 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Jatopian wrote:
Will we have better integration between the game engine and the Hints & Solutions forum?
Besides the in-game chat for CaravelNet subscribers, nothing.
Will we finally get room style backward compatibility?
Will all monsters have corresponding NPCs? How about other elements? If not, what won't and why?
I believe all of the new monsters are represented in the NPC list...with the exception of serpents and tarstuff mothers (also in answer to stigant's question). There is also a way to put in custom characters that I haven't used much but seems nifty.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-01-2007 04:23 AM]
04-01-2007 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Oneiromancer wrote:
I believe all of the new monsters are represented in the NPC list...with the exception of serpents and tarstuff mothers
OK... I can see why not serpents, but why not tarstuff mothers? They're 1x1.

04-01-2007 at 04:48 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Well, I'm sure most of the questions I can think of will be things you don't want to reveal, but lets see. This is the only one that I can think of at the moment..

I think Erik's last news announcement confirmed that Beethro can be swordless. So as to not break old rooms, is this done by some object within the room? Eg a sheath or something where you can deposit a sword? Or scripted? Or..
04-01-2007 at 04:49 AM
eytanz
Jatopian wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
I believe all of the new monsters are represented in the NPC list...with the exception of serpents and tarstuff mothers

This isn't new to 3.0 - there are no tarstuff mother characters in 2.0 either.

04-01-2007 at 04:49 AM
Oneiromancer
Jatopian wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Probably because doing "turn into monsters" could screw things up? I don't know, sounds like a feature request to me. Oh, and Eytan reminded me that there is another new monster that can't have an NPC made of it, I had forgotten about it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-01-2007 04:52 AM]
04-01-2007 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0 (+2)  
TripleM wrote:
I think Erik's last news announcement confirmed that Beethro can be swordless. So as to not break old rooms, is this done by some object within the room? Eg a sheath or something where you can deposit a sword? Or scripted? Or..

All of the above.

Specifically, there are three ways to make Beethro swordless:

A - Via scripting.
B - There's a floor type that makes anything on it temporarily swordless.
C - A game element that toggles Beethro's sword.

04-01-2007 at 04:54 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
was the last sentence of mrimer's post word padding? :)

04-01-2007 at 04:57 AM
hyphz
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Are there other elements which can cause the direction Beethro is pointing to matter, even if he's swordless? Any clues as to what they are?

What are the new ways of interacting with Evil Eyes? (Probably a spoiler but it can't hurt to ask)

Are cutscenes done using DROD demos, or the import of other media?

Can the lighting conditions in rooms be varied by script?
04-01-2007 at 05:10 AM
eytanz
hyphz wrote:
Are there other elements which can cause the direction Beethro is pointing to matter, even if he's swordless? Any clues as to what they are?

Well, there are some old elements that cause it to matter - think of a swordless Beethro with a sworded mimic.

And there's at least one new element for which it matters as well.

What are the new ways of interacting with Evil Eyes? (Probably a spoiler but it can't hurt to ask)

Sorry, this one I'm not going to answer.

Are cutscenes done using DROD demos, or the import of other media?

Neither, at least not in the general case - it is possible to play movies in the 3.0 engine, however.

Can the lighting conditions in rooms be varied by script?

To some extent, yes.

04-01-2007 at 05:17 AM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0 (+1)  
I had a dream about Green Slime roughly 3 weeks ago...

The way I thought it would work is that it would grow only from the corners, but then I thought it would be more interesting if it only grew from the flat bits and would produce slime babies when its stabilises (from the corners or where it can't grow), but then it would be hard to make an sort of algorithm that decides where the slime would if you have something like a 6 by 2, and you have two middle bits... (note: just worked out how it would work but it makes it rather nasty :P)

I'm guess there will be a new sort of trapdoor.. I'm wondering, since trapdoors are alive, will there be spiked traps? If not - are there any new elements that directly kill Beethro?

Are any of the new monsters "invincible"? When I mean that, somewhat like how a wubba is.

I have so many questions, but they may be too direct, like;
1. water,
2. switch pads (like a teleport but something else has be on the pad and you switch positions),
3. a pushable that fills pits (might make a trapdoor),
4. an alligator (a monster really) that's in the water so you are reminded of Frogger,
5. orcs (or a purple goblin - seriously),
6. a potion that affects monsters.
7. fire, well an enemy that is on fire too, lights fuses, torches...
8. Since the introduction of melee arms enemies, the logical step up would be one has range...
9. Inventory. But a virtual one at that; like, for example, you get a key and it unlocks a door. Well, that the purpose of it, but I don't think it would be that explicit with "doors" and "keys"...
10. Beethro has a love interest...

Umm... :blush

One last question - You will still have Jrth rooms styles plus and new styles in TCB. If I upgrade a JrtH hold to TCB I'm wonder it would like exactly the same (in terms of objects), unlike from AE to Jrth.

Click here to view the secret text

04-01-2007 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Yellow_Mage wrote:

Umm... :blush
Erik once said he was too crusty for a wife... and really, who could be so interesting among the pale people? Negotiators are the only females I've seen so far... well, them and tarstuff mothers :sick and I doubt either of them are that interesting even when scantily clad.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-01-2007 05:29 AM]
04-01-2007 at 05:28 AM
eytanz
Yellow_Mage wrote:

I'm guess there will be a new sort of trapdoor.. I'm wondering, since trapdoors are alive, will there be spiked traps?

Trapdoors being alive is not part of the canon. And no spiked traps.

If not - are there any new elements that directly kill Beethro?

Certainly. Quite a few of the new monsters can do that.

Are any of the new monsters "invincible"? When I mean that, somewhat like how a wubba is.

No.

I have so many questions, but they may be too direct, like;
1. water,
2. switch pads (like a teleport but something else has be on the pad and you switch positions),
3. a pushable that fills pits (might make a trapdoor),
4. an alligator (a monster really) that's in the water so you are reminded of Frogger,
5. orcs (or a purple goblin - seriously),
6. a potion that affects monsters.
7. fire, well an enemy that is on fire too, lights fuses, torches...
8. Since the introduction of melee arms enemies, the logical step up would be one has range...
9. Inventory. But a virtual one at that; like, for example, you get a key and it unlocks a door. Well, that the purpose of it, but I don't think it would be that explicit with "doors" and "keys"...

Those aren't questions. But I will say that exactly two things on that list will be in the game.

One last question - You will still have Jrth rooms styles plus and new styles in TCB. If I upgrade a JrtH hold to TCB I'm wonder it would like exactly the same (in terms of objects), unlike from AE to Jrth.

The full version of TCB includes the JtRH styles. I'm not sure what happens with the TCB demo, though.

04-01-2007 at 05:42 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
How many new styles will there be?
What are the system requirements?

04-01-2007 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
The full version of TCB includes the JtRH styles. I'm not sure what happens with the TCB demo, though.
The TCB demo will have just one style. It hasn't yet been determined what to do for people who own JtRH but only use the demo of TCB. Hopefully they will be able to import the 2.0 styles but that's a business decision to be determined.

Game on,

04-01-2007 at 05:46 AM
Oneiromancer
Pinnacle wrote:
How many new styles will there be?
What are the system requirements?
There are 3 new styles. The system requirements should be about the same as 2.0, although the new fancy weather effects could raise them.

Game on,

04-01-2007 at 05:47 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Oneiromancer wrote:
There are 3 new styles. The system requirements should be about the same as 2.0, although the new fancy weather effects could raise them.

Game on,
How exactly do these weather effects work? I mean, it's a 2d game after all, and with the exception of lighting, I just can't imagine how it would work at all.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-01-2007 06:21 AM]
04-01-2007 at 06:17 AM
Oneiromancer
NiroZ wrote:
How exactly do these weather effects work? I mean, it's a 2d game after all, and with the exception of lighting, I just can't imagine how it would work at all.
Well, you can see the fog in one of the secret screenshots, lightning is a flash of light (and the thunder is audio), and other weather effects can be seen by the effect they have on the play area. I guess you'll see it when the time comes, that's all I feel like saying now. I'm going to bed, so you guys probably won't get more answers for several hours.

Game on,

04-01-2007 at 06:31 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
So this is then end of ordinally name levels in the major release holds? Or to put it another way, is the question "Does TCB: Sixteenth Level: Entrance have exits on all four sides?" a meaningful one?

===

mrimer wrote in 2004:
In other words, we're looking for the room that has the largest optimal move count of all the rooms. (Didn't we talk about this before? I'm pretty sure it's one of those serpent rooms in L12, and it requires something like 1200 moves, but all other rooms in the entire KDD can be beaten in fewer moves than that.)

But I'm exactly sure which room fits this description for JtRH.

Can you remember if you were you right? (correct answer is L24:1S1W but I can see L22:3N as an obvious choice)

Could you hazard a guess as to the longest room in TCB?

===

Are there more monsters/characters with weapons?
Importing home-made characters will work with weapons, yes?
Speaking of characters, are there more (non-monster) females?

===

What proportion of new stuff comes from suggestions, and what proportion will be a surprise?

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 04-01-2007 07:18 AM]
04-01-2007 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
What does PCMT mean, anyway?

04-01-2007 at 08:32 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Watcher wrote:
What does PCMT mean, anyway?
Argh. You people are going to cost me all my mod points, coming up with good questions and answers like these.
04-01-2007 at 08:43 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
stigant wrote:
Would that be a poem?
Maybe it's like that Bjork album wherein human voices are used for instruments. Or a Gregorian monk's chant. But yeah, he probably means poem.
Rap battle! :lol

np: Fat Jon & Styrofoam - Runnin' Circles (The Same Channel)

04-01-2007 at 09:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
A question: If the Slayer loses the hook and Beethro the sword, the Slayer can kill Beethro with his body?

Also, you can toggle swords on custom npcs or normal graphics npcs?

Also, when Beethro is without swords, the hand position will change, right?

[Last edited by vittro at 04-01-2007 10:22 AM]
04-01-2007 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
And some screenshots.

04-01-2007 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
vittro wrote:
And some screenshots.
Wait, you mean those pictures in your signature are not real screenshots?
Or are you modifying the JtRH graphics to create those?

04-01-2007 at 10:51 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Is the new tar variant:

-Green?
-name starts with S?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-01-2007 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 10
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Questions about TCB and DROD 3.0
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No