Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
<<6789
Page 10 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
You're welcome :). So no problems then?

(Trying something new with this latest version. Wrapper script is no longer needed, so it's gone.)
11-14-2008 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (0)  
No problems yet, from an overwriting install... so how'd you get rid of the wrapper?

[Last edited by Sillyman at 11-16-2008 03:11 AM]
11-16-2008 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+3)  
Wait, the install didn't prompt to uninstall the previous version first?

Anyway, there was basically three reasons to have the wrapper:

* Help the game locate itself by setting the current working directory

This isn't actually necessarry. The executable can find its own location by reading /proc/self/exe, which exists on all Linuxes (except possibly some very stripped-down server ones maybe, but you don't play games on those), and failing that, argv[0] is usually enough. Actually, DROD has never relied on the current working directory for finding its files, so if anyone had problems with this they'd have problems already. Taking this away had no effect at all after the other problems were solved.

* Set the path for xdg-open.

DROD uses xdg-open to open the default web browser from the buy link in the demo or the external links in the help files. Usually xdg-open is already installed on modern distros, but a fallback is provided in case it isn't, and we need to set the path for that. However, since xdg-open is launched from inside DROD, the DROD executable itself can set this path, using its own location as a base as explained above. No need to do it before DROD launches.

* Set the path for libraries.

DROD comes with its own set of libraries that have been verified to work well with DROD, so that first of all, people don't have to install any prerequisites before they can play the game, and second, if they have a buggy version of a library already installed (which has happened sometimes), DROD will still use its own version which works fine. This was the biggest reason for the wrapper script, as previously I didn't know any way around it -- since libraries are loaded before the executable actually starts running, you can't set this path in the executable itself (unless you dlopen everything, but that's not very convenient and means function pointers everywhere). There is a property you can set in the executable itself, called RPATH or RUNPATH, that is used for this purpose by the linker to set the path before loading libraries, but this path has to be either absolute, meaning DROD could only be installed in a fixed location (or getting the installer to fiddle with the bits in the executable, which isn't exactly trivial), or relative. Problem is, relative is relative to the current working directory, which can be anything unless you set it first (in a wrapper script, say), so this wasn't terribly useful. But then one day I found out about '$ORIGIN'. The linker actually supports macros in the RPATH, and $ORIGIN is one of those, resolving to the path of the executable. So, setting the RPATH of the DROD executable to '$ORIGIN/Libs' means it will look for libraries in the Libs subdirectory where the executable lives, exactly what we needed. So the wrapper script was no longer needed for this either.

With no more reason to have the wrapper script, might as well remove it. This has the additional bonus of a slightly simpler install script, and no more chance of someone accidentally screwing things up by running the executable directly in stead of through the wrapper.
11-16-2008 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
trick wrote:
Wait, the install didn't prompt to uninstall the previous version first?

Er... that's what I meant. It uninstalled from the installer, yeah.

11-16-2008 at 10:10 PM
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
Unsticky?
09-05-2010 at 11:04 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I'll let Mike decide whether or not to unsticky this one.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-05-2010 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon DROD:TCB 3.2.1 "Sprightly Skipper" (+1)  
The TCB 3.2.1 patch ("Spritely Skipper") is now available for Windows (download it here).

You should really check out this new version. There are a ton of bug fixes and various new UI conveniences and performance enhancements. Most of these were implemented by TFMurphy and schep, so a big shout out to these stalwart developers!

You may see the extensive list of bug fixes and changes since version 3.2 here. It's everything listed in the first post of the "3.2.1 Patch" thread -- that's a lot of new stuff!

3.2.1 Linux and Mac builds forthcoming.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-09-2011 04:47 AM]
02-09-2011 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228

File: error.jpg (39.9 KB)
Downloaded 1664 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
Mike, as of now I needed to run drod.exe as administrator to get it to boot up. When just running as a user, the following error is displayed:
Click here to view the secret text

I've checked datapath.txt, and made sure the DROD folder wasn't set to read-only. I run Windows 7, and my DROD installation is in C:\Games, so no issues there.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 02-09-2011 05:16 PM]
02-09-2011 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: DROD:TCB 3.2.1 "Sprightly Skipper" (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
3.2.1 Linux and Mac builds forthcoming.

Awaiting patiently. Hoping for an Intel-native Mac build this go-around (oh please please)

(Especially since rumors say the next version of OS X is going to allow Intel binaries only)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 03-02-2011 05:41 AM]
02-28-2011 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon DROD:TCB 3.3.0 "The All-Seeing Eye" (0)  
The official TCB 3.3.0 patch ("The All-Seeing Eye") is now available for Windows (download it here). It is build 3.3.0.96.

Read more about this new release here.

10-29-2011 at 11:08 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Any ETA for when the patch is going to be available for OSX users? We're now two versions out and officially running into compatibility issues over here, with Puppet Master being unplayable in the current OSX build (3.2.0.83).

12-28-2011 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+12)  
Hey, everyone :). Sorry for being absent for a bit there. Didn't mean to leave all you penguins out in the cold. ...or heat. Er. Uncomfortable surroundings.

Anyway, I just uploaded a new Linux installer for The City Beneath version 3.3.0.96 to the CaravelNet downloads page! Demo version coming soon. This new and shiny version also introduces native support for 64-bit distros, and the default save location now conforms to the XDG basedir spec, which means it has changed from "~/.caravel" to "$XDG_DATA_HOME/Caravel Games" (XDG_DATA_HOME is "~/.local/share" by default). It'll still use the old save location if you've got data hanging around there though, so you won't lose your saves. Also threw in a few bugfixes and such for good measure. Let me know if it works!

Hopefully this means all is now forgiven, so I can go missing for another couple of years!

[Last edited by trick at 02-15-2012 11:05 PM]
02-15-2012 at 11:03 PM
mrimer
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
A great big thank to you, Trick!

I've uploaded the DROD:TCB 3.3 Linux demo to the CaravelGames page.

02-16-2012 at 03:35 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
trick wrote:
Anyway, I just uploaded a new Linux installer for The City Beneath version 3.3.0.96 to the CaravelNet downloads page! Demo version coming soon. This new and shiny version also introduces native support for 64-bit distros, and the default save location now conforms to the XDG basedir spec, which means it has changed from "~/.caravel" to "$XDG_DATA_HOME/Caravel Games" (XDG_DATA_HOME is "~/.local/share" by default). It'll still use the old save location if you've got data hanging around there though, so you won't lose your saves. Also threw in a few bugfixes and such for good measure. Let me know if it works!
Works fine, but "Caravel Games" is actually "Caravel games" in this version; I got around this error with a symlink in the expectation that you'll fix it.
03-04-2012 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
coppro wrote:
Works fine, but "Caravel Games" is actually "Caravel games" in this version; I got around this error with a symlink in the expectation that you'll fix it.
That's bizarre. I don't think that G was ever lower case in the code, and I just double and triple checked; the version in the installer I uploaded creates and uses "Caravel Games" under ~/.local/share here, with the capital G. It doesn't do this for you? You're sure it's not just your file manager that displays the name wrong or something? What distro do you use?

[Last edited by trick at 03-07-2012 04:40 PM]
03-07-2012 at 04:00 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
trick wrote:
coppro wrote:
That's bizarre. I don't think that G was ever lower case in the code, and I just double and triple checked; the version in the installer I uploaded creates and uses "Caravel Games" under ~/.local/share here, with the capital G. It doesn't do this for you? You're sure it's not just your file manager that displays the name wrong or something? What distro do you use?
Ubuntu 12.04 beta. If I attempt to start DROD and "Caravel games" doesn't exist, it gives me an error about it already running, which appears to be a bad error message for the game not being able to create a PID lock file in ~/.local/share/Caravel games/drod-3_0.
03-08-2012 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
edit: Never mind, see next post

coppro wrote:
Ubuntu 12.04 beta. If I attempt to start DROD and "Caravel games" doesn't exist, it gives me an error about it already running, which appears to be a bad error message for the game not being able to create a PID lock file in ~/.local/share/Caravel games/drod-3_0.

Okay, thanks. I'm using the same myself actually, so this is just getting weirder.

To help me track this down, it'd be great if you could temporarily move away "~/.local/share/Caravel games" so that DROD won't find it, open a terminal and cd into the directory where you installed the game, and then run this:
strace -o drod-tcb.strace ./drod-tcb

(If the game doesn't quit automatically, quit as soon as you can. If you don't have strace installed, install the strace package first: sudo apt-get install strace)

Then gzip the drod-tcb.strace file and either post it in an attachment or e-mail it to me (trick at icculus dot org). Thanks!

Also, you said this happens if "~/.local/share/Caravel games" doesn't exist. Does "~/.local/share/Caravel Games" exist? If so, what happens if you move that out of the way too?

[Last edited by trick at 03-08-2012 10:14 PM]
03-08-2012 at 09:09 PM
trick
Never mind, I'm able to reproduce this. The problem is that old saves in "~/.caravel/drod-3_0" isn't used properly. That's pretty bad! Thank you for your help.

Workaround: move "~/.caravel/drod-3_0" to "~/.local/share/Caravel Games/drod-3_0". I'll upload a fixed installer soon.

edit: Actually, I spoke too soon. Old saves are used properly in most cases. This is more complex, but at least I can reproduce parts of it now. (also, workaround 2: delete DataPath.txt)

[Last edited by trick at 03-08-2012 10:58 PM]
03-08-2012 at 10:14 PM
mrimer
icon DROD:GatEB 4.0.0.109 (0)  
I've uploaded new Windows and OSX versions of DROD:GatEB, called 4.0.0.109, that registered owners can download. Uploaded new demo versions too. This version is necessary for some Mac users in order to avoid a crash on startup, but otherwise the fixes are minor cosmetic ones and it's entirely optional to get this new build.

Fixes:
* Official hold: Fixed a few minor spelling and typographical errors.
* Stealthy Gunthro: now doesn't look like Beethro.
* OSX: Don't start fullscreen in order to avoid crashing on some systems. When importing a player that was using fullscreen, don't automatically enter fullscreen mode.
* OSX: orb/door/etc tile highlighting colors were wrong

This technically isn't a patch, but you should be able to install new versions right on top of your current DROD 4 install.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-03-2012 01:05 AM]
04-03-2012 at 01:03 AM
mrimer
Version 4.0.0.109 had an issue with the official hold and scores not syncing up properly on CaravelNet. That is fixed in version 4.0.1.110, along with a couple other bug fixes:

* Fixed the exit exploit in PoW:1S1E.
* Clarified some mastery scroll texts.
* Tweaked a couple other minor cosmetic issues in the hold.

* Fixed: Fegundo NPC dying issues. (Thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Fixed: save and load game with active global scripts not retaining the scripted behaviors. (Thanks, TFMurphy!)

You can get the new build from the Downloads page above if you've registered the game. I'm uploading Mac and demo versions within the next hour or so.

Edit: OSX and demo versions have been updated.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-04-2012 08:22 AM]
04-04-2012 at 05:50 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Looks like all my GatEB scores just disappeared. EDIT: Correction, all the GatEB scores.
Note that I haven't updated yet. But I'm doing that now.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-04-2012 05:56 AM]
04-04-2012 at 05:54 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
All GatEB demos are being reverified. They're coming back slowly, but it'll take a little while. Don't panic (or at least, wait until the reverification is complete; you can panic then if you still don't have all your scores).
04-04-2012 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+3)  
GatEB 4.0.1.110 for Linux is now available at the CaravelNet downloads page. Also fixed some issues with the installer and added a higher resolution icon for the game's window. Demo should be up soon. [e: Demo's up!]

[Last edited by trick at 04-05-2012 09:11 AM]
04-04-2012 at 11:50 PM
trick
TCB version 3.3.0.96.1 is now available for Linux, in both full and demo flavors! This is a Linux-only bugfix release that should hopefully fix the issue coppro was having as well as some installer issues. If TCB works fine for you, it's not essential that you upgrade, but it won't hurt either. I added a higher resolution window icon to sweeten the deal though ;)

e: Also, the issue with font rendering causing long scrolls to get cut off should be fixed in this

[Last edited by trick at 04-12-2012 12:57 PM]
04-07-2012 at 08:33 AM
mrimer
icon DROD 4.0.2.112 is released (Windows) (+1)  
4.0.2.112 is released for Windows. You can view all of the changes and fixes here.

You might note that a Tarstuff Alpha slider has been added to the Player Settings screen. If you're a tarstuff modder, and you might even call yourself 72nd Tarstuff Modder, then this is the version for you. Please thank Schik for adding this cool, new feature into the game. "Mods? We don't need no stinkin' mods!"

There are several other nice optimizations and stability improvements too, that everyone should like. Even if you don't call yourself 218th Liker. You can install this version right on top of your existing 4.0.x install.

There are minor hold modifications in this build, as responded to on the Bugs board, so there's a whole new .dat file and installer, and no minimal patch file for 4.0.2.

You can get the latest version from the Downloads link under the forum banner if you have CaravelNet service. I've also updated the file download available from BMT Micro, so it's possible requesting a new download link might point you to the latest version associated with the product. I haven't tried that myself yet though. Demo version is also updated on the Caravel Games web site.

Enjoy!

05-12-2012 at 06:34 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: DROD 4.0.2.112 is released (Windows) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
4.0.2.112 is released for Windows.

You can get the latest version from the Downloads link under the forum banner if you have CaravelNet service.
Enjoy!

I only see 4.0.1.110 in the downloads section.

05-12-2012 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: DROD 4.0.2.112 is released (Windows) (+1)  
robin wrote:
I only see 4.0.1.110 in the downloads section.
It is dug down a bit in the middle of the list.

05-12-2012 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
No patch? What about those of us who don't have a caravelnet subscription at the moment? :(

Official Hold Progress:

[Last edited by Keiya at 05-13-2012 05:15 AM]
05-13-2012 at 05:15 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
1 pizza per year is worth the investment
05-19-2012 at 04:11 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Syntax wrote:
1 pizza per year is worth the investment

I agree, and I've been a subscriber for years. But I do think a publicly-downloadable patch should be provided for existing purchasers without a subscription.
Anyway, maybe we should split this off into a separate thread.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 05-19-2012 11:38 PM]
05-19-2012 at 11:38 PM
<<6789
Page 10 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com