Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Lord Fizzan's Infestation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Clock
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged

File: Dungeon Excavation.hold (7.7 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Lord Fizzan's Infestation (+4)  
Technically, this is not my first hold I've started to create, but it's the first hold I've posted here in any way. I'm uploading the first floor of what I have so far to get it out there and to maybe help keep myself motivated to keep working on it. For the first floor, I'm aiming for a very manageable difficulty with a tricky room or two. There are no secrets to find in the first floor. I hope it's at least fun to play!
11-04-2019 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638

File: Dungeon Excavation.demo (22.1 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
icon Re: Lord Fizzan's Infestation (+2)  
Here's a bunch of demos. I'm not a huge fan of gentryii manipulation so I'll refrain from making subjective comments about the rooms, but I'm sure you'll find one or two folks on here who will really enjoy these rooms. Instead I'll mention that the aesthetics here are really nice and the difficulty was not to bad. Seems like these were mostly monster manipulation rooms for which the difficulty can vary a lot depending on how familiar the player is with the tricks for dealing with the monsters in question.

Checkpoint placement seemed good in some rooms and a bit sparse in others. In general it's good to place the checkpoints right before a potion or plate instead of on them, but the one in 1S if probably fine since the first chunk of the room is mostly forced and decoy orientation doesn't matter anyway. For 2S Id suggest a checkpoint in the upper left side of the room (past the ormites) and down by the bottom for folks trying out the challenge. I did the challenge but it looks like it hasn't been scripted yet, were you planning on making these scripted challenges? For 3S1E I'd suggest putting a checkpoint in the area with all the wubbas, perhaps right after the tunnel? For 4S you mention that there are multiple solutions to the room, but one of them (entering from the east) makes for a trivial score. You may already be aware of that and fine with it. If so, just make sure to mark this one as non-high-scorable once the hold gets published. Oh, lastly, in The Entrance it looks like you should be able to exit to the North, but there's no room there. Would you mind putting force arrows or something there to make it obvious that there isn't a room there?

11-04-2019 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 596

File: Dungeon Excavation Navi.demo (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Just played through. I've also attached my demoset.

I'm not going to comment on checkpoint placement and stuff like that as Insoluble seems to have done a good job of talking you through checkpoints and challenges.

I really liked the level design and layout. It's quite linear but I don't think that's a bad thing here as all of the rooms are pretty forgiving and so I doubt many people will get stumped on an early room and be forced to kind of give up. I didn't find any backtracking issues and nothing felt unintended. I'm also not the biggest fan of Gentryiis but the manipulation here was very reasonable so nothing felt unfair or frustrating. Overall, an impressive 'first' hold! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-04-2019 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: Dungeon Excavation- KituU demos.demo (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
Hi, played it. Demos
Very interesting as puzzle is involved in how to handle gentryiis. A lot of fun!
2S: awesome
It is not clear to me what your second solution is in 4S , to reenter the room from the east, the red snake must be left alive, which is possible, then that would be the real challenge.

Backtracking : could not go through 4S2E if entering from east, is it possible?
11-05-2019 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Lord Fizzan's Infestation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com