Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deadly Square of Death (Hard(?) Puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 596
IP: Logged

File: Deadly Square of Death180423.hold (8.3 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Deadly Square of Death (0)  
Hi all!

So I set out to try and make a hold with 8 pretty tricky rooms. Currently only 5 have been made (1W, 1N1W, 1N1E, 1E and 1S1E). Take a look at them and see what you think.

In terms of ideas of more rooms that I'm planning to include, I'm thinking probably a briar room and then nothing else is particularly concrete in my mind, although I'm sure that I'll end up including at least one other snake room cuz man I love those guys!

Thanks!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 04-23-2018 10:09 PM]
01-13-2018 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Deadly Square of Death (+1)  
Played through first three rooms. Demos attached.

1N1E:
A lot of stuff here is unnecessary. I'm assuming the snakes are supposed to get released earlier. Currently you can hit the NW-orb and navigate the spiral without any snake pressure.

1E:
Found a way to solve this while making a mess of the snake-course. Don't think this is anywhere near the intended solution, which I've not really tried to find yet.

1S1E:
The leftmost hot tile looks unusable because of snake movement rules. Adders will always turn north at (6,11) unless Beethro's X-coordinate is 0-5 during horizontal preference. Obviously neither Beethro can be that far west. Is this intended to be a red herring?

In any case, instead of making paths for the adders, I just had them collide on each other and led the last few on hot tiles, which wasn't too difficult.

Potential alternative solution: Drop a couple of trapdoors, shorten adders on themselves and lure <=3 size ones into the NW-corner where Beethro kills them (should be possible, but way trickier than this way).
01-15-2018 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
icon Re: Deadly Square of Death (0)  
Thanks a lot Doom!

1N1E: I've added a couple mechanisms in so that:
1) You cannot hit the orb before releasing the adder.
2) You need to have both snakes in the second part of the room.

1E: Hopefully prevented the use of a queen which isn't the one which starts the room at (6,5) from being able to hit the trapdoor at (29,2)

1S1E: Clone is now in the same place as the PPs which should mean that the snakes now cannot be manipulated effectively upon release. Originally thought about the possibility of using killing one snake on each other but this is super fiddly and too luck based so it is possible to get a snake into that chamber now.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

01-15-2018 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: Deadly Square of Death (+1)  
Attempt #2 at the first three rooms. Some new observations:

1N1E:
- Can use a mirror instead of mud to trap the adder.
- Can bring a mirror from first part to activate adder's pressure plate. Or even a mud baby!
- Holding the big pressure plate with a mirror trivializes the second half.

Alternate solutions aren't always bad if they're nontrivial, but you'll probably want to do something about the spiral-pp at the very least.

1E:
You can avoid getting trapped by using a roach or a queen, after which the old solution still works.

1S1E:
Solved in a similar way. Switching a snake's parity is actually quite tricky in a room like this, which is why I feel like it's easiest to kill most of them against each other, rather than try to get them all to hot tiles.
01-16-2018 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Thanks again Doom. Another update in the OP.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

01-17-2018 at 08:31 PM
navithmastero
Okay I've added a new room onto this at 1W and 1N1W if anyone wants to check em out :)

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 03-04-2018 04:21 PM]
03-04-2018 at 03:35 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
For the new room in 1N1W I can lead a rock golem on to the plate at (18,4) and kill it while standing on the yellow door. You may need to make the yellow door 2 tiles wide to force Beethro to be the one to hit the plat.

03-05-2018 at 04:43 AM
navithmastero
Thanks Insoluble, have updated now.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-05-2018 at 09:29 AM
Doom

File: DSoD 1N1W and 1W.demo (6.5 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
1N1W:
OK. Note that you can put one golem on the big pp to let the snake step on it (like in early versions of 1N1E). Had three golems to spare with that trick. At a glance seems like room would be quite tight without it.

1W:
Found a solution, but it felt very unfocused/messy and probably missed the point of the room. Presumably the adder is supposed to hit all pps, which seems like it'd be doable. After that all the wws will have to magically reach 10,28 at just the correct time, which might or might not happen by accident. If timing them requires fiddling with rock positions or something, that could get annoying (but I'm just speculating, since I didn't try that approach).
03-05-2018 at 08:23 PM
navithmastero
Thanks Doom! Have added a new room which hopefully isn't too broken and changed both 1W and 1N1W. See original post.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-18-2018 at 09:05 PM
navithmastero
Okay, I've posted an update, all of the rooms are now filled. So this just needs some thorough testing, thanks in advance!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

04-23-2018 at 10:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deadly Square of Death (Hard(?) Puzzles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com